Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #25 Tweaks and tidbits

Domain changes sound good, but now it'll be even more difficult to use Erupt/Freeze, since that's inexplicably tied to Magranon domain even on PvE servers, and even though it's restricted by kingdom on PvP servers anyway.

Should I start up a Twitch stream or a YouTube channel in order to increase the chances of getting this changed? I'm not sure what the official process is here. Guess I'll ask the Factional Fight guys.

Edited by Ostentatio

On 6/24/2016 at 10:26 AM, Kelody said:

Xanadu is the only server with wild horses.

Not true, I have found 3 wild horses on Deli since Enki's horse race. xD All right near what was his derby deed; it's strange.

Here is some easy to do stuff to battle all this animal hording crap that goes on. First off lowering one animal to sub in another animal that is horded is just wrong way to go about it. So here is my 1 cent.

CHANGE IT! What to CHANGE?

Animal Training = Can only train animal that you care for.

while a animal is under training it can't jump over fences if the animal is not being trained it can jump over fences and leave the area. 

Any animal not being trained has a high risk of being diseased and incurable while on deeded land, this disease can spread up to 10 tiles from where the animal is standing to any other animal in the area that is not being trained.

Animal training requires you to groom the animal least twice a day and to feed it least 5 wheat per day.

This would more than enough fix your issue with out having to alter % of mobs spawning. 

If players want to own hordes of animals then get them alts skills up to do so and be prepared to work for it. There is no need for any player to own more than 8 horses

What about cows, bulls, sheep, ram, chickens? Farm type animals based on farming skill based on how many you can care for. They can set these animals to there own raito to allow a animal per 5.0 farming skill to care for a animal which would give up to 20 animals. These animals if on deed and being farm cared for will not get diseased, any not farm cared for will have same disease issue as horses if there on deeded land.

If any animal that is farm cared for or under animal training by another player they do not affect the animals on the deeded land of someone else when being used or moved across another's deed.

This system would have it's simple methods simple checks and limit the number of animals horded with out some serious work and help fix the over crowding of animals on deeds. If people want to horde animals then they should pay the price and have to work harder for hording there is no reason one person needs more than 8 horses or 20+ farm animals. I don't care what the excuses is it is ridiculous.

As  Ramesses would say.... So it is written so let it be done.

I don't even know where to start from, the post above this is just terrible and i hope devs are not going to pick anything from it. Jumping over... palisades? Through roofs?  Diseases that spread up to 40 meters? Through...house walls and roofs again?  Feed them every day and groom twice like there're not enough chores in Wurm? You also know better how many animals people need. By the way... Instead of 1-2 ranchers per alliance, make everybody do it? Increased diseases rate on deed? So basically ruin everything just to please... actually, who would even be pleased with this? Hello?

Please, this is a huge chunk of bullcrap.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

I don't even know where to start from, the post above this is just terrible and i hope devs are not going to pick anything from it. Jumping over... palisades? Through roofs?  Diseases that spread up to 40 meters? Through...house walls and roofs again?  Feed them every day and groom twice like there're not enough chores in Wurm? You also know better how many animals people need. By the way... Instead of 1-2 ranchers per alliance, make everybody do it? Increased diseases rate on deed? So basically ruin everything just to please... actually, who would even be pleased with this? Hello?

Please, this is a huge chunk of bullcrap.

You say it and a handful of lazy people along with you would say this. You'll want to one click button  threw games with utmost rewards god forbid your gaming type ever had to do something to earn what you want to have.

This is the problem with games in this genre it is all about I log in you hand the game to me on a p[late so i can say I won and I can watch tv at same time or play this other game 95% of the time while this one i play at same time but only have to look at the screen 5 % of the time.

If you want to horde animals then you need to work to horde them plain and simple just like a guy who wants to farm 100 tiles+ of crops he has to farm them every day to get max yield. the guy who wants to be master smith or weaponsmith has to bs all the time to get there skill there so if you want to be this almighty rancher then you need a system to work for it.

25 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

You say it and a handful of lazy people along with you would say this. You'll want to one click button  threw games with utmost rewards god forbid your gaming type ever had to do something to earn what you want to have.

This is the problem with games in this genre it is all about I log in you hand the game to me on a p[late so i can say I won and I can watch tv at same time or play this other game 95% of the time while this one i play at same time but only have to look at the screen 5 % of the time.

If you want to horde animals then you need to work to horde them plain and simple just like a guy who wants to farm 100 tiles+ of crops he has to farm them every day to get max yield. the guy who wants to be master smith or weaponsmith has to bs all the time to get there skill there so if you want to be this almighty rancher then you need a system to work for it.

Your argument has a few flaws.  

People who grind blacksmithing or weaponsmithing do it for the skill gain.  With regards to the items they need for said skill gain, the game actually accommodates people to make more and more, as many as they want, in fact.  The game gives them containers to use so they can put more on a tile, and as many as they want, on their deeds.  Smiths can create as many items as they want:  Items to imp or items created, nothing will stop them from having as many item as they want in armor stands, weapons racks, forges, coffins or chests.  From here, they have a choice:  They can on occasion repair damaged items, or they can leave them, and eventually said items will poof.  This analogy can be extended to horse breeders:  A rancher can leave his horses to die from old age (they poof), or he can ensure longevity by caring for them. Now notice how the analogy can be further extended:  If a rancher wants skill gain, they can go groom their horses (like a smith can imp their items).  If they don't, or if they don't watch the enchanted grass and ensure it does not get packed, the horse will take damage eventually (get skinny), which you can remedy with a priest or special attention.  In the same way, anyone else can ensure damaged items can be repaired.

There is a difference between having a lot of items with which you can grind skills if you want to, and actually having a lot of items around.  

Now, with regards to animal breeding specifically:  Even with high AH skills, you still have to breed a lot of animals to ensure bloodlines are not mixed, nor that you run out of the speed traits.  The game allows for people to have a lot of animals on deed if they choose to, the same way it allows a smith to have a lot of items on his deed.  It is called deed ratio for animals.  As long as you ensure you stay above the 15 needed, you are not exceeding the requirements and thus you ensure the relative health of your flock. However, there is a big difference between smiths and breeders:  Animal ranchers need lots of tiles for their horses.  Unlike smiths, there are no containers created in this game where ranchers can store a lot of animals in smaller spaces.  Ranchers have to have the actual tiles, which, by the way, we pay for.  In this same way, a crop farmer needs lots of tiles, granted.  However, nobody says you need to rake daily - farmers can always get more crops even if they just plant and harvest. They don't have to rake hourly or daily to ensure aphids do not eat their crops, they do not have to spray the crops, they do not have to water the crops, there is never a drought, and the plants do not get sunburnt.  

Perhaps it is wise not to confuse SKILLGRINDING with creation or items.

If you want this game to turn into a job, then you may find people take their time spent in this game when they want to relax, elsewhere.  This will include their money.  I would really appreciate it if people stop insulting others just because they choose to play the game in a different way to you. If you love living out a passion for making this game into a job, more power to you.  If I don't, please leave me be. 

• Like 12

I wish a Dev or someone would comment about the PvP ramifications of non-prem stats instead of domain etc.

Seems like people are going to have a seizure about it   Honestly I think thats an appeasement to people who don't have premium and you're trying to sucker them back into the game.  If you don't disable the non-prem stat change you might as well just make a legacy server out of Chaos.  The PvP is already stagnant there I can't imagine what strong stated alts are going to do to the situation.  Seriously, PvEs look at this and go "Oh thats great, neat if I run out of premium, real convenient"  PvPs look at this and go "Oh ###### now those jerks won't even come over on their mains to catapult/treb - why the hell is that alt piloting that boat - damn hell horse scout found us - alts stealthing quickly because of high BC.

Over the years, the PvP servers get updates meant for the PvE servers and things get realy wonky and extremely frustrating REALLY fast.  At least consider the opinions of the masses (like... 50 or so right now) of PvPers before putting this on the server

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

do you have any animals?  Do you have even a faint clue of the amount of work it takes to, for example, make 5-speeds from wilds?  Any clue how many animals it takes?  Do you understand deed ratio?  on deed ratio vs off deed?  Do you understand how traits and generations work inbreeding?  Do you understand farming?    These are all rhetorical questions because you clearly haven't the faintest clue.  Your ideas are in fact soooooooooooo bad that you are obviously trolling.

I have been breeding from day one, it takes approximately 6 months of very careful breeding to get bison to reliable clean 4-speeds (i stopped messing with bison at that point) you have to keep a very close eye on deed ratio or the already get diseased, miscarry, and other negative results....i could go on, but smells like a troll and talks like a troll it is probably a troll

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

You don't even play WO any more. You can just mod out anything you don't like or delete all horses from your database.

• Like 1

I had no more than 9 horses at any given time on my deed and I breed them to tier 6 horses it was not hard or a grind come on please.

1 minute ago, Arkonick said:

I had no more than 9 horses at any given time on my deed and I breed them to tier 6 horses it was not hard or a grind come on please.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Arkonick said:

Here is some easy to do stuff to battle all this animal hording crap that goes on. First off lowering one animal to sub in another animal that is horded is just wrong way to go about it. So here is my 1 cent.

while a animal is under training it can't jump over fences if the animal is not being trained it can jump over fences and leave the area. 

Any animal not being trained has a high risk of being diseased and incurable while on deeded land, this disease can spread up to 10 tiles from where the animal is standing to any other animal in the area that is not being trained.

Animal training requires you to groom the animal least twice a day and to feed it least 5 wheat per day.

This would more than enough fix your issue with out having to alter % of mobs spawning. 

If players want to own hordes of animals then get them alts skills up to do so and be prepared to work for it. There is no need for any player to own more than 8 horses

What about cows, bulls, sheep, ram, chickens? Farm type animals based on farming skill based on how many you can care for. They can set these animals to there own raito to allow a animal per 5.0 farming skill to care for a animal which would give up to 20 animals. These animals if on deed and being farm cared for will not get diseased, any not farm cared for will have same disease issue as horses if there on deeded land.

If any animal that is farm cared for or under animal training by another player they do not affect the animals on the deeded land of someone else when being used or moved across another's deed.

This system would have it's simple methods simple checks and limit the number of animals horded with out some serious work and help fix the over crowding of animals on deeds. If people want to horde animals then they should pay the price and have to work harder for hording there is no reason one person needs more than 8 horses or 20+ farm animals. I don't care what the excuses is it is ridiculous.

Do you even play wurmonlin? I thought you were one of those wu guys.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, Retrograde said:

One of the biggest questions on older servers has been about certain wild creatures being hard to find, namely horses. We've looked at the totals vs bred creatures and have found that on most older servers, there are few, if any wild horses (xanadu doesn't count!) So we've made a few changes regarding this.

A total non-issue. Wild horses are only of real value when a new server is created (applies to WU as well). At this point there are plenty of them to go around and they keep spawning for some time after that. Then as people who like to breed horses start producing new ones the wild horse spawns are reduced because of this. The next stage after a server becomes established is that the horse breeders start to sell off the higher speed ones and the lower speeds become undesirable to them. Next, any horses below 4-5 speeds become worthless to them and they start giving them away.

This is the current state of all WO servers where anyone who wants what horse breeders consider to be inferior horses will be given several of them for free. Some horse breeders even let them loose in the wild for anyone who finds them. These 1-2-3 speed horses are far better than wild ones anyway and newer players (or any player) who wants to have a few for their own use or even start their own breeding program will have a much easier time of it than the original horse breeders did when these servers were new ones.

In closing, on other than new servers wild horses are just a novelty act and not really necessary for anyone. Only the die hard must do everything themselves without help from anyone else will find it a problem that there are no wild horses to go on a search for. Even if they do so they will probably come across a bred horse that someone had turned loose before they find a wild one. Maybe they then think this is fine because no one directly gave this horse to them and they found it themselves, since I doubt that they would refuse to keep it just because it was a named one better than any wild one they might find anyway.

Now and then I come across 4-5 speed horses roaming free un-cared for with no brands on them that others have obviously turned loose into the wild. I let them wander on because I just keep a few on my deed and have no interest having in any more of them. I see no need for wild horses spawning now on these established servers, as horse breeding *evolution* has displaced them and made giving away better traited the new and better substitute for them. Just ask and not long after you will be given a few horses to use for yourself or to start breeding them yourself with a jump start. No need to revert to the stone age of server openings to obtain a wild horse population. These new wild horse substitutes have long since arrived.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ayes said:

A total non-issue. Wild horses are only of real value when a new server is created (applies to WU as well). At this point there are plenty of them to go around and they keep spawning for some time after that. Then as people who like to breed horses start producing new ones the wild horse spawns are reduced because of this. The next stage after a server becomes established is that the horse breeders start to sell off the higher speed ones and the lower speeds become undesirable to them. Next, any horses below 4-5 speeds become worthless to them and they start giving them away.

This is the current state of all WO servers where anyone who wants what horse breeders consider to be inferior horses will be given several of them for free. Some horse breeders even let them loose in the wild for anyone who finds them. These 1-2-3 speed horses are far better than wild ones anyway and newer players (or any player) who wants to have a few for their own use or even start their own breeding program will have a much easier time of it than the original horse breeders did when these servers were new ones.

In closing, on other than new servers wild horses are just a novelty act and not really necessary for anyone. Only the die hard must do everything themselves without help from anyone else will find it a problem that there are no wild horses to go on a search for. Even if they do so they will probably come across a bred horse that someone had turned loose before they find a wild one. Maybe they then think this is fine because no one directly gave this horse to them and they found it themselves, since I doubt that they would refuse to keep it just because it was a named one better than any wild one they might find anyway.

Now and then I come across 4-5 speed horses roaming free un-cared for with no brands on them that others have obviously turned loose into the wild. I let them wander on because I just keep a few on my deed and have no interest having in any more of them. I see no need for wild horses spawning now on these established servers, as horse breeding *evolution* has displaced them and made giving away better traited the new and better substitute for them. Just ask and not long after you will be given a few horses to use for yourself or to start breeding them yourself with a jump start. No need to revert to the stone age of server openings to obtain a wild horse population. These new wild horse substitutes have long since arrived.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Well thought out and agree with most.  There are, however, one or two points you did not address.  The first point is the breed horses (released into the wild) are limited in they they die eventually, like any un-caredfor animal.  Assuming the horse ratio is very imbalance the number of bred horses would still prevent these horses from being replaced by wilds, which leads into my second point.

Secondly, wild horses provide for cross server exploration and greater participation in events.  Having a good supply of wild horses is like a public transit system.  There would have to be vast amounts of bred horses released in key spots to even attempt to replicate the basic spawning 

I don't know where you see horses, but I have seen 1 horse wandering near me, and it was because a friends fence collapsed. I do like wild bison for the FS, but having wild horses would be good.

Well I found the wonderful lore of epic guys. The thing that will bring all the people from freedom to enjoy our wonderful ###### hole of a cluster. WILD HORSES. WHO WOULDVE THOUGHT

• Like 1

yippy, a better reason for me to kill freedoms pony population!!!

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:08 PM, MrGARY said:

Imo because you can just push stone, and make metal anywhere (and possibly push everything entirely soon it seems), it makes sense to me to just allow building an altar anywhere in any domain

Agreed

I remember talking to Rolf about altars a number of years ago, asking about the possibility for all altars to be movable. We spoke about Domains etc. first while I asked why we couldn't move metal and wooden altars. He said it was due to complexities with the domain system. I pointed out that stone altars were already movable and his response was 'oh, that's a bug' so I very rapidly assured him that as far as players were concerned it was only useful and I knew of no exploits or issues caused by stone altars being movable. He did mention he'd consider making the other altars movable, but I didn't want to push the issue incase it was decided to 'fix the movable stone altar' bug instead ;)

The new domain system (which is what I thought it was supposed to be before, but clearly something wasn't quite right) should mean that there is no reason to not have all altars movable, and with that I don't see much point in not having them buildable anywhere too. I can't think of any exploits because any scenario I can think of involving altars, can already be done - just with a more limited range of altars or taking longer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hordern said:

I pointed out that stone altars were already movable and his response was 'oh, that's a bug'

Hahahahah, just out of curiosity how many features in wurm ARE actually features and not bugs?!?!  just love it ;)

Edited by hoof2000

On 6/25/2016 at 2:38 AM, Arkonick said:

This is literally one of the worst "ideas" i've seen posted on this forum. Game is loosing players? Lets add more tedium and annoying mechanics!

Honestly the only thing that's needed to fix the wild animal population is to unbork the spawning system. 

• Like 4

Btw @Bdew, any chance of fixing Too Many Wurms ?  Guessing it was the word/phrase changes that bugged out this useful site?

20 hours ago, Baloo said:

Btw @Bdew, any chance of fixing Too Many Wurms ?  Guessing it was the word/phrase changes that bugged out this useful site?

Heh, wasn't even aware that it's broken. I don't play WO now so i rarely look at it. I'll look into fixing it and in the future if anyone sees a problem you can PM me.

Edit: Everything should be fixed and up to date now.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:00 PM, Hordern said:

Agreed

I remember talking to Rolf about altars a number of years ago, asking about the possibility for all altars to be movable. We spoke about Domains etc. first while I asked why we couldn't move metal and wooden altars. He said it was due to complexities with the domain system. I pointed out that stone altars were already movable and his response was 'oh, that's a bug' so I very rapidly assured him that as far as players were concerned it was only useful and I knew of no exploits or issues caused by stone altars being movable. He did mention he'd consider making the other altars movable, but I didn't want to push the issue incase it was decided to 'fix the movable stone altar' bug instead ;)

The new domain system (which is what I thought it was supposed to be before, but clearly something wasn't quite right) should mean that there is no reason to not have all altars movable, and with that I don't see much point in not having them buildable anywhere too. I can't think of any exploits because any scenario I can think of involving altars, can already be done - just with a more limited range of altars or taking longer.

Movable altars as a possibility?!

f86EGPB.gif

• Like 1

On 6/24/2016 at 4:28 PM, Retrograde said:

The other issue stems from over-breeding, or large populations of breeding stock. To combat this, we have increased the chance of getting a rare coin from killing a bred creature to make it five times more likely than killing a wild one (about 1 in 20 now). This will hopefully promote culling of unwanted creatures rather than simply letting them loose or taking up space.

We'll keep an eye on these two updates and see how they go.

Related to this update, am I imagining things or has the probability for horses going diseased increased? Even though my herd is now smaller than it was before the update, my horses are becoming diseased way too much now. And yes I keep them freely in a large pasture area, but it was never that much of an issue before as long as I kept an eye on things. Now however it's getting kind of stressful. I feel like I will soon be forced to make a "traditional" 1x1 fenced grid if this continues, which to me is not very pretty to look at or immersive. Is anyone else noticing much more disease now?

Edit: I forgot to mention that in the years I've played Wurm, this is also the first time I've had a horse die on me due to disease as I've always been able to catch them on time before. This was of course an ebony black foal. BTW it looks like it has the wrong skin assigned to it.

deadebony.jpg

Edited by Malena