Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Who wants to Beta Test Rifts for No Reward?

So last week there was a few rifts that spawned and did not generate a single drop. Players spent a few hours of there time slaying mobs with no chance of a reward due to some bug in the system. There was the gratuitous lump at the end of the event though, but nothing else.

So when the next round of rifts happen who is excited for a chance of another bugged event?

I know I will not be interested in this.

I'm looking forward to the next Rift event. I think they are fun, plus I'm enjoying the skillgain.  I know at least one person on Release received some loot at the last event.  

Its in Beta Galatyn, who knows, maybe the next 10 you do will be bugged.

Well don't go then wait till you hear that they have been fixed and work the way they should. Its not like there is going to be a shortage of them i think they intend on making them pretty regular. 

Edited by Kegan

umm.. I've received one or more rewards from each rift I've done, beyond the final lump.  I usually have 2-4 characters participating though.  The rewards are not supposed to drop every time for everyone.  Otherwise, we would be flooded with new loot in the market and it would all lose value and be pointless anyway.  THe point is to keep doing rifts in the hopes that you finally get a prize or two.

Seryll lumps are nothing to sneeze at.  Considering you can sell them for 2-4 silver, depending on QL, it makes doing rifts as profitable as any other 2hr grind I'd think.  Great FS boost while you are at it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

umm.. I've received one or more rewards from each rift I've done, beyond the final lump.  I usually have 2-4 characters participating though.  The rewards are not supposed to drop every time for everyone.  Otherwise, we would be flooded with new loot in the market and it would all lose value and be pointless anyway.  THe point is to keep doing rifts in the hopes that you finally get a prize or two.

Seryll lumps are nothing to sneeze at.  Considering you can sell them for 2-4 silver, depending on QL, it makes doing rifts as profitable as any other 2hr grind I'd think.  Great FS boost while you are at it.

for a 0.25kg lump? i'll sell you all my seryll 16s per kg

i find it more frustrating that for the end reward lump people at the bottom of the list often get better ql lumps than those at the top. they should fix this issue

59 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

plus I'm enjoying the skillgain. 

0.006 fs and weapon skill with sb on for the hole rift? not really enjoying this... 

I don't think you understand what happened last week wurmhole.

A few rifts were run where not a single item dropped for anyone during the event, other than the lump at the end.

When this was brought up the wurm staff claimed cheating was used to run the rift, even though they were not in attendance for these rifts. I do not appreciate being accused of cheating, I do not do this, it is not my play style.

I do not do these rifts for the joy of slaying stuff, I can get better fight skill hunting other stuff, the rifts were enjoyable to do as long as there was a chance for a reward while you are doing it. Take away the chance and there is no point in doing the rift just for the sake of killing rift mobs and a lump at the end. I want a chance at a reward for the time I put in, not a kick in the arse for doing it.

Yeah darn I guess I'll just have to go have fun for no reason at all.

• Like 1

The problem with the world... 

If I do something, I must get something

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tgod said:

newtons law.

Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The statement means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two interacting objects. The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object.

Edited by TradingAlt
  • Like 1

I just think they are fun. I have not been keen on an expensive drop that rots in 6 days from the beginning, so I never hope to get one. The Seryll is very nice for a reward on Freedom and I get it for having intense not seen on Freedom combat fun. 

I don't think newtons law of motion applies to getting a reward in a stupid game lol. Nice try though :D

Edited by Josh
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tgod said:

You do something with the assumption of a chance to get something, when that is broken the point of doing the task is lost.

Perhaps you love doing stuff just for the 'fun' of it, well I do to, but if there was supposed to be rewards, well then there should be. Not more of this broken untested crap they keep dishing out to the player base.

We have a eq/wow style dungeon, but its in the open and can have invisible boundrys when it spawns in the desert.

You have a dev team that has coded eq/wow raid style mechanics into a game where the tools to accomplish this do not exist. There really is no player class's as you have in a regular game such as wow/eq. Yes we have the priest, but it was never intended for this type of sustained gameplay than can last a few hours, rather more like small encounters that are over nearly before they start.

As for targetting specific mobs there is no way to target a single kangaroo when there is a dozen milling about as wurm has no player assist option. Every person is for himself in trying to find which target to hit. More failed gameplay, if you have to dip out because the warmaster or champ ogre decided to bonk you on the head you just cancelled the chances for a drop.

Why the dev's expect players to stay engaged till death is beyond me, on chaos a death usually means you are out the 5s cost of a new res stone. On freedom it is even worse, a player who dies will most likely loose his mount in the process and the gear along with it if some random freedom player snatch's the corpse.

The worst part of this deal though was not the poor coding that prevented a single drop from happening, but the dev's calling me and my friends cheats, and I am awaiting a apology for this serious accusation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

More failed gameplay, if you have to dip out because the warmaster or champ ogre decided to bonk you on the head you just cancelled the chances for a drop.

Exactly what i thought after reading the latest patchnotes.

Edited by zigozag

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

but the dev's calling me and my friends cheats, and I am awaiting a apology for this serious accusation.

Whats the point of measuring individual effort, when there are no individual rewards?

Devs should better start rethink reward system as people will continue asking rewards based on their contribution. Which actually makes sense. :)

Haven't done one of these Rifts yet. Seen the videos, watched on stream'd live, seen the pictures, etc. and I can comfortably say that Im not excited to do it.

I see no reward in being a higher end player doing it because if I am holding aggro and I get smacked in the head as mentioned and I have to back up. Well Im screwed out my reward even though I just did half the damage on the thing. Participation points, Ive heard so many times people top of the rift participation and they'd get no reward and sometimes lower ql seryll then the person at the bottom. I laughed my butt off when I heard about a healer getting a 96ql seryll lump but someone who was super active got a 92ql seryll lump. Im like wait you just sat in the camp behind a gate, casted two times and you got a better lump then the #1 on the participation list. They were in teamspeak like hell yeah, and got a seryll ring but such-such got absolutely nothing but an internal wound and 92ql lump.

Terrible FS gains on sleep bonus as well I hear. 1-70 FS aint but a day's work 1-90 a week but still. If your not turbonerding you'd still like at least some kind of decent gains.

Im sorry but that is seriously flawed reward system. Completely screwed the pooch on that one, doesnt sound to rewarding to go do those at all. Makes me wonder, whats the unique loot distribution like now? Everyone prem'd in local get blood, hide, etc. still, then the valrei and skull are on the body?

The issue was the range you had to be in was fairly tight, and has been expanded to a 5 tile radius of the creature, with it targetted. This means falling back is quite possible, but leaving the rift to heal clearly has its downside.

The intention is for these to be challenging, and there has to be a way to ensure that all who are actively fighting receive an equal chance at getting something. Healers make it slighly difficult as they operate outside the rift, but is continuing to be looked at.

As for being called a cheater, I dont think that was ever said, mind clarifying where it was?

I will be at all the rifts I can attend, just the timing can be off for me.

Bottom line is they are fun and I really don't give a damn about the drops.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The issue was the range you had to be in was fairly tight, and has been expanded to a 5 tile radius of the creature, with it targetted. This means falling back is quite possible, but leaving the rift to heal clearly has its downside.

Now expanded to a 5 tile range? Still don't think this will work. If you get hit enough times by the champs/warmaster or multiple targets you have no choice but to heal up, and if there is no clear border for the rift it is difficult to kite the mobs around and stay inside the rift.

Spoiler

omJH2lF.jpg

Where is it in this photo? Never tested a rift on sand did ya's.

The ones accusing us of cheating know what they said.

Also there is no mechanic to assist someone, so when you have a dozen or two rift mobs milling about you are going to end up hitting various things before you find your target.

As for the points system, it is pointless in figuring out the rewards structure.

I see a rift ready to spawn on Exodus, it is in the Northern Desert, good luck Exo players on figuring out where the boundaries are on this rift. I for one will not be attending this one, even though it is within a stones throw of 5 of my deeds on Exodus.

The rift's have been designed based on the premise that no one should be able to figure out an easy way to enjoy them.  As soon as someone does find a way an immediate change is made to counteract the method regardless of how much fun is sacrificed in the process.

Ideally the shoulder armor should be craftable and the items needed to make them magical should be a random drop from killing a mob in the rift area.  But this idea isn't cruel enough, obviously.

I wonder if those responsible will figure out in time they are in the entertainment business and making things fun for their audience and rewarding for time spent should be the only goal.

• Like 4