Sign in to follow this  
newman330

Adventuring suggestions (smaller group events)

The new rifts sound like fun (I havent been able to attend one yet due to work schedule).  They are, however, large scripted events that require lots of folks to be on hand to participate.  They are also scheduled so to speak making them less about adventure and discovery and more about an opportunity to meet fellow wurmians and earn some loot.  I personally think these things should just spawn randomly with alerts being broadcast when they do - my 2 cents.

In my view, the game needs to do more to encourage smaller groups to explore and adventure.  In my opinion, Wurm offers some of the best terrain / space for exploration and adventuring.  It just gets a little dry when me and my friends are limited to hunting the same ol' things each and every time we go out in the massive Xanadu wilderness.  There should be some chance of discovery, danger, etc that require decisions and planning on a smaller, community scale.

My suggestions are:

-  randomly spawning objects - treasure chests, mysterious shards, a named weapon, etc.  Upon interaction with the object a random spawn occurs say over a 5x5 area.  This spawn could vary say from 5 rats to 10 trolls or maybe even a champion hellhound (the game needs champ hellhounds anyway).  The first thing the adventurer has to do upon locating such an item is to decide if he/she and his/her party are prepared to activate the item or should they ask for some assistance.  I see such a scenario as being tuned to 1-7 players.  Once activated, the fight must be completed within 1hr or the creatures and possible loot (addressed later) will despawn.  Such an event wont scar the pristine wilderness of Wurm.

im not a programmer, but this sort of thing seems to fit within mechanics that are largely currently within the game.  Where loot is concerned, I'd suggest having a small possibility of getting something interesting / useful.  I think the possibility of interesting loot should be enough that those more interested in 'booty' would join those that are keen to just adventure and have a chance of finding something unusual, mysterious, interesting.  In order to avoid having lots of these spawning objects rotting away in the wilds of remote parts of xanadu, Id also suggest their be a set number available on each server and they are spawning, despawing, re-spawning on say a 48hr timer.  Dont get me wrong - i think most of these things should be out in the wilderness - this is about exploration and adventuring.

This could also support a quest system.  Maybe there are rumors of a particularly special sword circulating.  This system could provide clues, pieces, etc needed in order to complete such a quest.

- suggestion 2 is an extension of the previous suggestion - Allow abandoned deeds a chance (20%?) to become home for a group of marauding creatures like trolls, goblins, etc.  Introduce a mechanic whereby when a deeds coffers reach zero and the deed disbands, a group of the aforementioned creatures spawns around the space previously occupied by the settlement token.  Maybe introduce a troll matriarch or a goblin prince, something of a mini-unique, that again requires adventurers to gather a small group to go forth and remove the vile invaders of the settlement.  As above, there should be some loot associated with successfully clearing the area.

In order to ensure that such a system would not be abused, place some restrictions.  For example the deed must have had paid upkeep for 6months before it can become eligible for a 'chance' to become a mini event.  Draining the token could also be allowed as long as the time frame for the possibility of an invasion is large enough - say within 1 week of disbanding.  If someone wants to camp a disbanded deed, it wont be straight forward.

I have put the main idea forward in a previous forum post, but thought it was worth to it to bring it up again.  Wurmhole and I discussed some of this in-game a few weeks ago.  It was our view that we some interesting large events (Unique slaying and Rifts), but more smaller scale opportunities are needed to encourage small groups and local communities to adventure and explore.

Edited by newman330
subject wasnt clear
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, newman330 said:

- suggestion 2 is an extension of the previous suggestion - Allow abandoned deeds a chance (20%?) to become home for a group of marauding creatures like trolls, goblins, etc.  Introduce a mechanic whereby when a deeds coffers reach zero and the deed disbands, a group of the aforementioned creatures spawns around the space previously occupied by the settlement token.  Maybe introduce a troll matriarch or a goblin prince, something of a mini-unique, that again requires adventurers to gather a small group to go forth and remove the vile invaders of the settlement.  As above, there should be some loot associated with successfully clearing the area.

that is an interesting take on the idea, one of the issue of generated events is that they need a place to happen, following your logic, we already have the deeds, just need a mechanism allowing a mob swarm to appear inside.

• Like 2

Could utilize the lair system.. make a small lair spawn there, which spawns some creatures and which is a bit easier to bash.. that would work fine imo

I've always thought having dungeons would be cool.  Like pre-made monster villages or caves.  An idea is to have monsters spawn at different dungeons based on missions or something.  Once you see the message you know everyone is going to try to get over there.  I guess that's like rifts though....

Still dungeons with area specific mobs that roam that area would be neat if not on a time scale.  Maybe after killing 100 mobs of a certain type in a specific area you get a rare roll for something really special each time.  Not like the rare roll for coins that happens now when fighting.  Has to be after a specific amount of kills or specific kills to get the roll.

Would certainly add a great deal of exploration interest to the game.  When Rifts were on test, there were only a few people actively testing and it was an intense week for me - possibly the week of play in the last 3 years.  Finish off a rift and a new one would spawn somewhere else.  Pack the wagon, travel the server, make bridges to cross water and take down the next rift.

All that server traveling was beautiful.  Found a random treasure chest and was so freaking excited!  Rare glimmer or Ada lump and a strange bone!  Ya know what else?  I found so many spots I wanted to deed, just because they were entirely too beautiful to not deed.  If it weren't test, I'd have dropped at least 10 new deeds I think, lol.

Point to my story is the OP suggestion really will inspire more exploration.  Get us out of our deeds and see the server(s). 

One thing that might be a concern is the special rewards.  Been thinking about this and really need to make sure our crafted gear never becomes second rate.  Maybe make any high end tools/weapons repairable and mendable, but not impable, to insure the QL eventually drops to pointless and "trophy" status only.

+1