Sign in to follow this  
UnknownOrganism

Remove /who and all traces of pop from Chaos

Everyone knows on Epic you can still find out how many players are on your server with relative easy despite it removing how many are on your current server by the use of /who.
On Chaos, with the implementation of freedom crossing, you can more or less anticipate a gank via server-travel-boat if you spam a /who keybind and watch the pop drop by 5. 
On a PvP server you shouldn't be able to anticipate a gank like this, and as such, the only fix would be to remove /who. Which, otherwise doesn't really change anything other than people metagaming and saying "oh there's 40 people online, my kingdom has 20, hots is dead, so the other kingdom has roughly 20"

easy fix, doesn't change a whole lot but I know I've avoided at least one gank from this method so far. If it's kept in to discourage popping server boarders to gank, so be it, but otherwise it's a dumb thing to keep in.
proactive gameplay or not, you shouldn't be avoiding ganks with meta-info.

as an extra bonus you don't know how badly the server is dying without looking at graphs

Edited by UnknownOrganism

dont need to spam /who and guess, can make a bot that will alert you like every kingdom had on epic.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

i ever pvped but im pretty sure that would solve nothing,you can still check the the population info like the forum server status module does,they would need to remove that

that's why the title say "and all traces of pop"
which would mean an in-depth removal not halfassed.

• Like 1

-1,  no one is forcing you to play on chaos, if the rules are not to your liking find another place to play or maybe give wurm unlimited a try where you can change the rules any way you want.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

This will not affect pvp in anyway shape or form, other than maybe make jk stay on deed more often.

/who was already changed on epic sometime ago in an attempt to fix this so I don't see why something similar shouldn't be added to chaos aswell

also jesus christ the shitposting in this thread is real

• Like 2

yes, /who was already changed. if you'd do the same to chaos you could simply take the total number of players in wurm, subtract the number of people on epic, sum up all the people on the freedom servers that are not chaos, subtract taht number as well, then subtract the number of people in your alliance. and poof, you still got the server numbers of people not being in your kingdom. would just make it more of a pain in the ass, yet you would gain nothing overall.

UNLESS you would also remove the /who counts of every single pve server in wurm. and then it would start raining -1's not from the people who supposedly -1 all of your threads, but from most likely every freedomer who actually still uses the forums down to this day.

due to this i guess i'll have to -1 this suggestion in its current form.

but if you have any other thoughts about how to get this matter done without affecting pve players and no loophole to still get the player count, feel free to update.

edit: as for jakes post that it wouldnt influence pvp either way, did it give any changes to epic at all? or was the loophole found too quickly? or was the pop too low at that time already?

im pretty certain that people who currently use the server pop as an excuse to not leave deed wouldnt change that fact and simply come up with another excuse tho.

Edited by Arium

3 minutes ago, Arium said:

yes, /who was already changed. if you'd do the same to chaos you could simply take the total number of players in wurm, subtract the number of people on epic, sum up all the people on the freedom servers that are not chaos, subtract taht number as well, then subtract the number of people in your alliance. and poof, you still got the server numbers of people not being in your kingdom. would just make it more of a pain in the ass, yet you would gain nothing overall.

UNLESS you would also remove the /who counts of every single pve server in wurm. and then it would start raining -1's not from the people who supposedly -1 all of your threads, but from most likely every freedomer who actually still uses the forums down to this day.

due to this i guess i'll have to -1 this suggestion in its current form.

but if you have any other thoughts about how to get this matter done without affecting pve players and no loophole to still get the player count, feel free to update.

disable /who on chaos, remove Chaos from the "total players" list, and don't add it to the total players on the website. 
You've fixed the issue without effecting PvE players.

Edited by UnknownOrganism
double double

+1 as it is removing more of the bot meta which is plaguing pvp servers. Was a chance on Epic which was, from what I could tell, well received. Makes sense to add it onto Chaos.

2 hours ago, UnknownOrganism said:

disable /who on chaos, remove Chaos from the "total players" list, and don't add it to the total players on the website. 
You've fixed the issue without effecting PvE players.

this way would actually work.

however i would still prefer to have a certain indication of pvp activity on the web page for potentially interested players.

maybe just add them up from all of chaos and epic into a single pool?

without any indication for a single server i cant think of a way to actually figure out how many of those are where when /who is removed for both all of epic and the single servers.

23 minutes ago, Arium said:

this way would actually work.

however i would still prefer to have a certain indication of pvp activity on the web page for potentially interested players.

maybe just add them up from all of chaos and epic into a single pool?

without any indication for a single server i cant think of a way to actually figure out how many of those are where when /who is removed for both all of epic and the single servers.

pop doesn't drop when epic players move from one epic server to another
pop drops when chaos players move from the bunched pvp servers to pve

Epic has 4 servers, chaos is one. This is why we need /who more. 

But please remove /who from Xanadu because that makes the same amount of sense. 

Edited by polarbear

37 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Epic has 4 servers, chaos is one. This is why we need /who more. 

But please remove /who from Xanadu because that makes the same amount of sense. 

How does them having 4 severs and Chaos having one have anything to do with what I said

Why is Mol Rehan still trolling this thread

At least Arium is trying and providing actual discussable points. Kudos to him.

What does MR have anything to do with a topic such as this? Where you asking for Chaos support or just support from jenny kelloggs?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

What does MR have anything to do with a topic such as this? Where you asking for Chaos support or just support from jenny kelloggs?

This, some people from a kingdom posting does not mean MR is posting +its chaos so the particular people posting here play on chaos meaning they should have a say in a suggestion to their server/gameplay suggestions. From me +1/-1, idc. If people really think that this is what keeps/stops pvp then sure, i personnaly dont so meh.

Mol Rehan's Bot, explained-

Miniroll "Server pop down by 5 everyone run."

Madnezz "No, I logged alts in."

Jukimo "Rush. Rush now"

As to your point UO,
I think this is pretty low priority on the list of PVP changes that need to be made, if it needs to be made at all.  It's not just MR and JK on the server, 0-8 at any given time are Ebonaura spectres and/or freedom noobs. Seeing the population fluctuate 3-5 over a few seconds isn't proof positive of an incoming gank. 

You know what is proof positive of an incoming gank? Local list.  Never made much sense to me. That's why I stay stealthed.

Oh Robus commented.
At the point of posting this there was more or less only MR or JK. If I subtracted JK from the /who list, and compared it to how many people were in the MR mumble, it would be close enough for me to chalk up the extras to alts. Adding an extra 3 to MR's pop by calling whichever HotS players were online "mr alts" was more or less insignificant anyways.
And likewise, if you guys have 20 people on, the server pop is 30, that means you get to freely raid whereever you want with literally no risk, if you can muster up 5, 10 people.
Which becomes apparent when Jukimo started freaking out when I posted this thread which I posted for a different reason.

I've also keybound /who to shift+s and watch it steady for fluctuations. 
Which at best are guesses anyways, but that's not the point.

It wouldn't be much of an issue with an active game that has more than two kingdoms.