Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Combative Situations

I think the clairvoyant title is reserved for Rolf to issue, when he finds something particularly important, deserving of a pat on the back.  We all play this game and bugs are pointed out weekly, if not daily.  I'd be willing to bet most everyone that has played for a few years has reported several bugs already.

Your chances of getting a title by outright asking for it are getting slimmer by the post ;)

...And Keenan, can we roll back the fix and keep the bug/feature?  PvE should not mean PvN (player vs nothing).  Keep critters difficult on the higher end.  Yes, trolls were mostly deadly to new players before, but we learn from it and learn to run if need be.  I'm amazed anyone is complaining that the most difficult normal creature in PvE is now actually hard to fight.  I can understand receiving too much armor and weapon damage from a fight with them and maybe that could/should be addressed, but by golly, I want to feel my gem bags shrivel up when I see what should be a very hard creature to fight, then feel either the reward of victory or a bloody red haze.

In PvE, we can build houses, huge walls, guard towers and hire NPCs for fight our battles for us.  Why on earth do we need every critter in the wild to be easy mode?

I would like to request we take a poll - an official one and not player made - to ask our Freedom players if we should up the difficulty of the more difficult creatures in the game.

During the "bug" faze, I had one of my alts (Hashirama) enter a cave and get attacked by 2 trolls, a hell hound, 2 spiders and 1-2 lions.  I has Sotg and an nice LT spear.  Ended up finishing them all off and never had more than 25% damage.  With a non-Sotg alt, only at 72 FS and 40 weapon skill, I can still solo the trolls in "bug" mode.  It takes a day or two of fight grinding to hit 70 FS.

Should Freedom be easy mode on everything?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurmhole said:

...And Keenan, can we roll back the fix and keep the bug/feature?  PvE should not mean PvN (player vs nothing).  Keep critters difficult on the higher end.  Yes, trolls were mostly deadly to new players before, but we learn from it and learn to run if need be.  I'm amazed anyone is complaining that the most difficult normal creature in PvE is now actually hard to fight.  I can understand receiving too much armor and weapon damage from a fight with them and maybe that could/should be addressed, but by golly, I want to feel my gem bags shrivel up when I see what should be a very hard creature to fight, then feel either the reward of victory or a bloody red haze.

In PvE, we can build houses, huge walls, guard towers and hire NPCs for fight our battles for us.  Why on earth do we need every critter in the wild to be easy mode?

I would like to request we take a poll - an official one and not player made - to ask our Freedom players if we should up the difficulty of the more difficult creatures in the game.

During the "bug" faze, I had one of my alts (Hashirama) enter a cave and get attacked by 2 trolls, a hell hound, 2 spiders and 1-2 lions.  I has Sotg and an nice LT spear.  Ended up finishing them all off and never had more than 25% damage.  With a non-Sotg alt, only at 72 FS and 40 weapon skill, I can still solo the trolls in "bug" mode.  It takes a day or two of fight grinding to hit 70 FS.

Fun fact, everything after 20 weapon skill is only a mild buff

@KeenanIm very disappointed that you let this happen. I mean really come on, a bugfix with WITH OUT a restart?!?!?! What is Wurm turning into!?!?!?

Edited by Nicrolis

4 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I'm all for making mobs difficult, but I'm all against making them a deadly thread to some character builds and a walk in a park for other character builds. And sadly that's what the "bugged" trolls are. They are still quite easy to defeat for high-strength and highly armoured characters (in plate or better), preferably with a 2-handed LT weapon - while all other character builds have to run, no matter their main fighting or weapon skills.

I have FS 80, weapon skill 72, using light armour (plain leather) ql94, a character with low-strength but good body control, using longsword (no LT) and shield. He's not a fast killer of course, he relies on good parry and block rates instead. With the old Freedom trolls I would kill them handily, getting hit only a few times during a fight, all else blocked or parried. Plenty of fights even where I don't get a single wound from a troll fight (here's a combat log of one; http://pastebin.com/xzdhuv9c

With the "bugged" version that same character needs to run from trolls. :) Thus be careful please what you ask for, when we start balancing mobs for the standard power-builds (plate, SotG, 2-handed weapon with LT, high body strength) we might as well remove all other gear and skills from the game. ...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

This was set back to where it was because we had no intention on rolling it out without warning. Also as I mentioned, only four creatures use the new system at the moment. The intention was to slowly add more.

• Like 2

Sorry Keenan this is now the "how many things have you reported without getting clairvoyant title" thread :P Unfortunately i wouldn't know where to begin so i hope you've been keeping track.

More seriously though, i just had to look at the WU code and dang....after 20 skill the boosts you get for weapon skill really are pretty small o.O I've been wasting my life.....well....more than usual.

• Like 2

I was actually having fun with the trolls XD. We went hunting with greenish trolls. I just had my weapon and oakshield and one of the new cloth shoulder pads. I got some good hits when I COULD hit. But even taking the aggro it wasn't bad. Now my friend was getting beat up way worse than me in drake and oakshield. I got less damage. Maybe because I had the shoulder pad that's for glance? Either way, it was fun testing out the harder to hit and harder hitting creatures. But I'll be glad to hunt with them being nicer for awhile XD.

• Like 1

My experience was the opposite, trolls went from something I could reliably handle to something I couldn't. So given the non-interactive nature of Wurm combat, trolls just became something you fed to the guards and otherwise ignored.

If the combat update is just "Things are harder." and not actual improvements to how we interact with combat, then in the future I guess I'll just be feeding more things to the guards.

• Like 1

Diversity in combat and also variety in creature and combat has been something we've been looking at for a while now, we will continue to look at ways of improving that as time goes on.

As for the clairvoyant titles, I've been in touch with Enki and Budda, and we will continue to look at how reporting bugs both through actions, and finding in the code can be rewarded, hopefully some public information will be available soon

• Like 2

Retro how am i supposed to keep mocking everyone about this if you turn up and be so darn reasonable? You're ruining everything!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Do i get compensation?

(Give me [Clairvoyant] pls)

Hah, compensation.  You're quite the comedian.

• Like 3

at least we know now that there is no need for any stronger mobs on freedom :)

Edited by bangzuvelis

I dont see how trolls becoming at least two times stronger than before is a reasonable buff. Their loot is worse than almost every single creature in existence and even before that intended buff they were already avoided in hunts if possible instead of being killed since they were both very strong, more dangerous than any other pve regular mobs and gave terrible loot so left to stay alive to bully newer people with the slower carts/mounts.

The only reward to compensate for their strength is how easy it is to decide on whether you want to avoid or engage them. So I guess it would be fair to say the reward has been buffed too since that decision is now more clear than ever before. 

Edit: They are also much more common than any other creature in every single area for some reason

Edited by Simyaci

4 hours ago, bangzuvelis said:

at least we know now that there is no need for any stronger mobs on freedom :)

In PvP you are being compensated for the difficulty of mobs that are unique to pvp servers with chance for valuable loot so.... not a strong arguement there, sorry

Edited by Simyaci

That's cute, please add Nogumps to freedom so this guy can learn humility ^

• Like 5

Switch it back to the new/harder difficulty!  I enjoyed fighting trolls for once lol :)

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

That's cute, please add Nogumps to freedom

Personally I would very much enjoy Valrei mobs on Xanadu but If I remember right the player base has decided against it. Valrei mobs, notably the Nogumps and Drake Spirits, are good small-group encounters. Since they spawn in small numbers I would see them as welcome addition to the Xanadu wildlife.

• Like 3

All I can say to those who think the trolls-on-steroids were a good thing is to spend a couple days on north Xan where the troll population is very high. Make sure you bring your good equipment, imp'd up over 80 too. lol.  After two days, come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it.  If you're lucky you won't have the misfortune to pick up adds too many times (which happens more often than not on north Xan, btw.)  Plus I guarantee your weapon and shield will be below 60 after just 2 days. The armor will depend on what it's made of. Come back and tell us if it was worth it.  Maybe some of you folks only run into trolls once in a while. (?) 

Of course they're back to normal now so not a really fair test but it will maybe give some perspective.

Actually I have no problem with them beefing up trolls after they address the risk vs reward issues with trolls.  As has been pointed out, (and they've said they will look at it), trolls at their normal difficulty were already not worth fighting. They're just a pain in the rear.  No loot and insane damage to equipment equals zero reason to fight them. Never mind that the skill gain is disproportional for the time spent on them (including near-constant imping of equipment).  Time much better spent avoiding trolls and fighting other things instead.  Just arbitrarily making them harder was just adding insult to injury.

edit:  Oh, and templars?  lol.  Templars are no more than yip dogs to let you know when a troll comes on deed.  I always have to go rescue the templar when there's a troll because I get tired of seeing "spirit templar is now a citizen" over and over until I go kill it.  :)  (and that's with their normal difficulty, lol)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

Personally I would very much enjoy Valrei mobs on Xanadu but If I remember right the player base has decided against it. Valrei mobs, notably the Nogumps and Drake Spirits, are good small-group encounters. Since they spawn in small numbers I would see them as welcome addition to the Xanadu wildlife.

Obviously you have never encountered a flock of them in one location, I have seen 12 or more eagles at a time and they have a very large agro range. 8)

And have seen nogumps flock out of the wood work, 4-5, 1 is more than enough trouble, would like to see you handle 2 or 3.

A champ nogump would rampage through everything in his path and at a very fast speed. Tower gaurds? He just says mmm appetizers!

I would love to see these on freedom though, it would certainly spice things up, especially chain stunning nogumps, before they had a chance to toss you letting you have a chance to get away or regroup now they don't, if you can't get away you are saying bye bye cruel world.

Stumble into a valley no one has visited lately and you may just find your self in some serious hot water.

23 hours ago, vinius said:

needs to be more significant than that lmao

1. I found the infinity shaft bug (Zeke apparently found it out for quite a while, can't say if he abused it). Xallo reported it, got the clairvoyant title and quit epic.

2. Iorveth and I found a bug that allowed you to create 'ghost' items in your inventory, which pulled resources out of BSBs around the server. Rudie got the Jackburton account permabanned while flatraising an island out of the ocean.

3. The BL exploit squad found another item duplication bug on the test server to do with bridges. Finally got the title.

Well we in the "BL exploit squad" found exploits in the earlier days of epic that let us dublicate money/items, be able to steal back items/money from a trade after it was completed, equip "ghost" weapons and armor that wouldnt drop on death and could be replicated to a whole kingdom, etc....

Me and the people I've found exploits with have received hundreds of euros worth of gold, clairvoyant titles aswell as a custom made ingame batman shirt...

else if (this.id == 636451406482434L)
    {
      toReturn = "A simple but beautiful shirt made from the finest threads of cloth. It's as black as night, except the yellow emblem which contains the symbol of a bat.";
    }

but uh.... alex...

hundreds of euro worth of gold and the unique item came BEFORE the lil title. :D

they sorta changed their policy on how they give it out, so its easier to obtain nowdays, but it still required some major ######.

In general its given out for exploits that are very destructive for the game. like money dupe, gg economy & deed upkeeps (aka CC income)

23 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Does forcibly converting an unknowing victim to a kingdom of your choice without them having any conversion menu come up and without having to do /invitations count?

Not really... There is little benefit for you in it. It's not very destructive since players can just be reconverted & you banned. It's just... weak.

Bug, sure. Bad, sure. but it has little impact.

Lets say you could convert entire kingdoms by snapping your fingers from your own deed, now that would be some serious ######.

Edited by Zekezor

7 hours ago, Amadee said:

All I can say to those who think the trolls-on-steroids were a good thing is to spend a couple days on north Xan where the troll population is very high. Make sure you bring your good equipment, imp'd up over 80 too. lol.  After two days, come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it.  If you're lucky you won't have the misfortune to pick up adds too many times (which happens more often than not on north Xan, btw.)  Plus I guarantee your weapon and shield will be below 60 after just 2 days. The armor will depend on what it's made of. Come back and tell us if it was worth it.  Maybe some of you folks only run into trolls once in a while. (?) 

Just to add to the fun we also have greenish trolls, also north Xanadu, thankfully no longer on steroids...

9 hours ago, Amadee said:

Of course they're back to normal now so not a really fair test but it will maybe give some perspective.

Actually I have no problem with them beefing up trolls after they address the risk vs reward issues with trolls.  As has been pointed out, (and they've said they will look at it), trolls at their normal difficulty were already not worth fighting. They're just a pain in the rear.  No loot and insane damage to equipment equals zero reason to fight them. Never mind that the skill gain is disproportional for the time spent on them (including near-constant imping of equipment).  Time much better spent avoiding trolls and fighting other things instead.  Just arbitrarily making them harder was just adding insult to injury.

edit:  Oh, and templars?  lol.  Templars are no more than yip dogs to let you know when a troll comes on deed.  I always have to go rescue the templar when there's a troll because I get tired of seeing "spirit templar is now a citizen" over and over until I go kill it.  :)  (and that's with their normal difficulty, lol)

With almost 900 trolls killed according to achievement counter, I don't understand the fuzz. Armor getting broken? That is one of the fights, where armor is actually useful, where you know, that without armor the damage would be too much.. All the bears'/wolves' glances and tickles still damage armor, I am considering THAT as wasting armor as those can be fought naked. Also fighting skillgain? Could be better, yes, but.. I would say it could also be worse too(like the time, before trolls skillgain was actually increased).

-------------------------------

At the same time I find funny that people complain about loot. In rifts topic everyone is beating their chest, how they want only challenge and loot is not important, now when (minor) challenge was introduced(yeah, accidentally) to the game, its outcry on the forums. Don't try to make this to "but newbies.." . Trolls are deadly to the newbies, the "normal" version, or "upgraded" version.. it doesn't make any difference to them. Main effect it had, was on 70ish range fighter, who we can call already established players.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Obviously you have never encountered a flock of them in one location, I have seen 12 or more eagles at a time and they have a very large agro range. 8)

And you very obviously do not know on what server I played before I made my current character on Xanadu.

• Like 1