Sign in to follow this  
Ubai

alternate magic system mod?

Does anyone know of a mod that substitutes a more "D&D-ish" magic system for the more clerical system of Wurm? Is this even possible? 

Thanks!

Matt

Anything is possible. Although, I suspect that kind of an alteration would require significant effort. It's been awhile since I played d&d and even then I only played it a couple times. I did play a lot of GURPS (mostly gun/horror/superhero versions) and Palladium.

1. significant alteration of the core "action handling" classes and not just the action-related.classes, but all similar baseline mechanic classes. These are not friendly to modding. For example, the Action.class has a 700 line constructor that is if-statement nested up the kazoo.

2. D&D was a class based system. Wurm has no classes. You'd have to add a skill cap system.

3. Wurm's spell system has a couple limitations that would likely force you to make a new spell system...one is in SpellEffects.class "public final byte type;". There isn't a lot of room in that field to add new effects. And new systems require #1.

Edited by joedobo

Thanks very much! I didn't mean a system exactly like D&D, but basically one where spells were less "priestly" and high-level. D&D is a bad example actually, maybe I should have said a system more like that in Ultima Online, since that is a little more like Wurm.

It sounds like you'd prefer it if spells weren't restricted to only toons who are basically useless outside casting spells. And to that idea I'd sugestion trying out Ago's Spellmod. I use it so my only toon can play like normal and cast any spell in the game.

imo...Ultima Online + Soulstone is how it should be. If you don't know a Soulstone lets you move skills between toons. It makes a class base system kinda like Wurm.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out that mod!

For me, the best magic system would be something like a cross between Ultima Online and Asheron's Call. You'd need reagents to cast spells and your chance of "fizzling" would depend on spell difficulty and your skill level at magic (or even different schools of magic if possible, necromancy, evocation, etc).

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 2