Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rift #2 - feelings and opinions

2 hours ago, LumpyGravy said:

Those jagg's were player made. As far as i could see the ground levels did not change with the rift

there may have been player made ones, but the hole with a spike next to it is from rifts.  You will see them all over every rift.

Since these are community events, we should all just agree to spend an extra 5 min per player, filling rift holes, bashing rift objects and replanting the ground (or sand) before moving out.  50 people working together would fix it in no time.  Rifts are approximately 40x40 = 1600 tiles/50 players = 32 tiles per player to recover. That would be no more than 1 rift object to bash, 1 rift jaggie to smooth out and a few dirt or sand to drop.  Grass/steppe would only need to be planted every few tiles and natural spread would take over.  1 week later, it looks better than before the rift ever showed.

• Like 1

I was at the deli Rift. I had tried one on the test server, so I figured id in for a decent fight. but it turned out to be rather easy for me. we where alot of people, and at one point I was thinking of LOTR where that green bloob of ancient ghosts sweap across the battlefield. Thats how the deli rift felt to me. I got a lump of 92 ql seryll, but none of the other stuff. it took about a hour to close the rift with a bunch of very unorganiced sweaping doom. I feel the lump is a fitting reward for a hour spend poking random stuff. I dont know much about other participants fight capacities, but judging from armor and gear, it seemed as if most catagories of fighters where represented. I never figured out how to see how your rift-rank-thing was, so I have no idea how well I did.

If the rifts are supposed to pose a challange for old farts, they need tweaking.

If they are supposed to be a community event they seems ballanced to me.

Id rather go slow with the loot for now, no fun if evey one gets everything from the beginning.

I had fun, not exactly what I had expected, it was easier with less loot than I had expected, but risk vs reward it was fine to me.

4 hours ago, Mith said:

I was at the deli Rift. I had tried one on the test server, so I figured id in for a decent fight. but it turned out to be rather easy for me. we where alot of people, and at one point I was thinking of LOTR where that green bloob of ancient ghosts sweap across the battlefield. Thats how the deli rift felt to me. I got a lump of 92 ql seryll, but none of the other stuff. it took about a hour to close the rift with a bunch of very unorganiced sweaping doom. I feel the lump is a fitting reward for a hour spend poking random stuff. I dont know much about other participants fight capacities, but judging from armor and gear, it seemed as if most catagories of fighters where represented. I never figured out how to see how your rift-rank-thing was, so I have no idea how well I did.

If the rifts are supposed to pose a challange for old farts, they need tweaking.

If they are supposed to be a community event they seems ballanced to me.

Id rather go slow with the loot for now, no fun if evey one gets everything from the beginning.

I had fun, not exactly what I had expected, it was easier with less loot than I had expected, but risk vs reward it was fine to me.

/rift  == leader board 

On 5/29/2016 at 4:08 PM, Darmalus said:

Good

1. Rift happened on time. \o/
  2. Big community event, no lag problems on my end.
  3. I had fun!

Bad

1. Overcrowding. Not enough mobs for the number of players.
  2. Loot excessively random. Many people tried their hearts out and got nothing, and that puts a damper on the afterglow of the event. :(

Possible idea for the bad part.  Why not spawn more mobs based on the number of players in Local?. Is that possible? Or even somehow use calculate to spawn more based on the number of hits to the mobs?

2 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

/rift  == leader board

nah, /rift = how many ennemies you tagged... doesn't matter if you slayed them or just missed a hit on them. It would be like traveling in the mountains, never leaving the valleys and saying you climbed every summit.

2 hours ago, Lolabelle said:

Why not spawn more mobs based on the number of players in Local?. Is that possible? Or even somehow use calculate to spawn more based on the number of hits to the mobs?

We have a /rift list, bit bogus so far, but it means the server got a way to track who did what and how many players are active. So yes, this means the waves, mobs amounts, difficulties and even loot can be scaled.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

there may have been player made ones, but the hole with a spike next to it is from rifts.  You will see them all over every rift.

Since these are community events, we should all just agree to spend an extra 5 min per player, filling rift holes, bashing rift objects and replanting the ground (or sand) before moving out.  50 people working together would fix it in no time.  Rifts are approximately 40x40 = 1600 tiles/50 players = 32 tiles per player to recover. That would be no more than 1 rift object to bash, 1 rift jaggie to smooth out and a few dirt or sand to drop.  Grass/steppe would only need to be planted every few tiles and natural spread would take over.  1 week later, it looks better than before the rift ever showed.

I doubt 5 minutes could be enough. Correct all that holes and spikes is easy task, problem are that rift decoration objects.

I tested them with 50ql large maul and I was able to do 0.03-0.05 damage per 30 second bash. When considering there were more rifts objects than fighters, clearing all rifts objects seems like much longer community event than fight itself.

Pity, we can't load that rift decoration onto cart or at last push/pull it ... I could imagine dark themed deeds decorated with them :ph34r:

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, griper said:

Dont the rift items decay by themselves?

probably yes, but not yet, what I saw yesterday, there were only damage, my large maul made

but I may be wrong, I checked only few from 30+ objects, which are "griefing" area behind my deed

6 hours ago, Zakerak said:

I doubt 5 minutes could be enough. Correct all that holes and spikes is easy task, problem are that rift decoration objects.

I tested them with 50ql large maul and I was able to do 0.03-0.05 damage per 30 second bash. When considering there were more rifts objects than fighters, clearing all rifts objects seems like much longer community event than fight itself.

Pity, we can't load that rift decoration onto cart or at last push/pull it ... I could imagine dark themed deeds decorated with them :ph34r:

I was just going to say that I would love to be able to load one of those crystal formations and take it to my mine!

13 hours ago, Odynn said:

nah, /rift = how many ennemies you tagged... doesn't matter if you slayed them or just missed a hit on them. 

OK I am going to say you a wrong...the say are sort of correct.

This not true.  My second priest never saw an enemy and got 1, only did a full heal on someone who killing things.

I went to my logs, and the leader board (I was using the term denotivly, not necessarily connotatively a leader board) is the number of landed blows based on my priest landed 18 hits with her crappy arrows and main landed 51 blows, which precisely what I had on the  /rift details, missing/glancing did not count.  That means if I had focused on my main rather than him sitting away from battle a few times  (4+ minutes at one point while maneuvered my backup priest for aforementioned heal, also was out of range couple times and moving around to get/change targets or to draw agro away from priest) then personally would had a lot more hits.  I will still have both Fos at future fights I attend and not going to change the way I did it unless it is to better help other players.

Misses, did not count (priest missed 9 times 1 glance, main missed 46 times apparently, 31 glances), priest hit ~9 seemingly different mobs, main hit ~31. 

So leader board appears to be blows landed, which for most fighters means getting in range and stop moving.  So may be some cheese, but not as much cheese as you are saying. Presuming someone can corroborate this.

Would some else confirm please?

Nope, my score was 82 in /rift, but i counted currently 103 hits. Someone landed more hits than me, but at the same time his /rift score was lower than mine.

Ok, then mine were extremely convenient coincidences 2x....

But it seems looking at other on the Rel board there is some correlation between hits and score.  Were yours all deadly hits? @rixk

12 minutes ago, ClericGunem said:

Ok, then mine were extremely convenient coincidences 2x....

But it seems looking at other on the Rel board there is some correlation between hits and score.  Were yours all deadly hits? @rixk

Yes.

2 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

Would some else confirm please?

My main: 90 QL rare longsword. 78 hits in total, 39 cuts, 39 pierces. Most were extremely hard, a few deadly. Rift score 43.

Priest: 80 QL sickle. 62 cuts. All extremely hard. Rift score 38.

Didn't count glances or misses.

Ok, well I certainly do not think misses/glancing are counting as OP seemed to think.  Based on description sounds like guys have good FS and weapon skill too.  

My main is standard 70+ fs and high huge axe and axe skill, rare 90ql-ish huge axe. My priest low fs, but 40+ archer with 70ql shortbow. Just the arrows were 25-35ql.

Willing to accept my numbers are coincidence at this point...so maybe damage? Or score is based on hits to types of beasts?

I landed 62 hits and scored 55. I didn't attempt to count glances, parries, blocks, or evades. I picked a target and stayed on that target until it died unless the people I considered to be the "leaders" called out a priority, then I switched.

Edited by Audrel

31 minutes ago, ClericGunem said:

so maybe damage? Or score is based on hits to types of beasts?

Either of these seem plausible (or both). My longsword and sickle do quite a bit less damage per hit than 2-handed weapons, which could explain my lower score/hits ratio. Also, I intentionally avoided the bigger mobs when possible since I knew they would be crowded with fighters, and instead often went for jackals or rift beasts. They might not be worth as much.

On 5/30/2016 at 0:32 PM, Worksock said:

Are you sure they were player made? We had a bunch of them at the epic ele rift also and I very much doubt anyone made those

Hmmn I could be wrong then.. 

18 hours ago, Zakerak said:

OMG That would be cool to have in your perimeter...