Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rift #2 - feelings and opinions

These rifts arent special at all. They were hyped as strong and difficult, something completly new but they are just the same as unique slayings just with another coat on.

They arent even fun in this form, they simply take to long. The total lack of challenge makes it boring very quickly after the so much single spawn of a beast. The creatures need to spawn parallel per wave, not serial. The fact that players can decide when it opens and when the next wave hits is dumb to.

The positive thing is the accumulation of fs in such a short time and travel distance between mobs.

• Like 1

Personally I feel that loot wise they should do something like the following:

Keep the percentage at 5%, but every time the check is made to see if you get loot and the result is that you don't get loot, increase the chance for the next roll by 5%. So the second roll you'd have 10% to get loot, then 15%, etc.

This is reset the moment you get loot, or when the rift closes. Possibly reduce the buildup to less than 5% per time depending on how much loot you've already received. For example instead of a flat 5% increase, let it be: increase = 5% / (1+ # of loot).

This way your chance of getting at least 1 piece of loot vastly increases, but the chance of getting a lot of loot isn't all that high. This should result in a more even distribution of loot amongst all the players.

I would like to make a slight deviation here, but I was on chaos when the Valrie mobs were added. You would get a shot of lightning, and suddenly get hit with about 5 drakespirits or eaglespirits. Those things were, and still are a bastard to single kill.

My point is rifts need to be tougher, bring the community together, and distribute the wares evenly, not just to the top -end players.

• Like 2

I had fun. It seemed pretty perfect to me. I noticed that some newbies ranked phenomenal & I liked that. They really tried hard, too. But some who actually saved our butts didn't rank as high. I mean, i know my longsword was mostly glancing (I'm starting to train huge axe beginning today), yet my kill number was higher than those who made contact repeatedly (with 2 handers/huge axes). Maybe tweak that a little? But please allow the newbies to rank well for their effort. Not sure what the solution is, but I really liked the rift.

• Like 3

After my disappointment from the first rift fail.  I decided to go to this one and... I enjoyed it.  The seryll was nice and got a shoulder too, interesting, but as I have said in other posts I wanted challenge and it was not bad.  It could have scaled up a bit, but was not yawn fest that the unique slaughters, i.e. not 20 people standing on a single tile trying to murder 1 goblin/troll/dragon (the events are cool, it is the killing of uniques that is anticlimactic)

Heals were actually needed even for someone who can usually shrug off a unique, my second Fo priest actually had to patch someone midfight.  Never needed that at a unique fight so never took him to any.

I was able to get "phenomenal" with my main and "good" with my Fo priest who was firing (crappy) arrows between heals.  Which to me means could be made bit more difficult.

If i were to make a suggestion I would like to see number rifts on servers based on average player pop (1 rift per 20 players or something) and uncontiuned rifts (rifts that are not being progressed)  end when the first rift is closed, such that pop is split (if the wish to be) between rifts, but groups cannot simply close them by one at a time by sending an alt to start another to keep it open (unless alts can defeat waves).  As far as warning time minimum, really some like 4-8x the RL time it takes to ride 0-speed horse accoss a server lengthwise, which is to say enough time to tell friends via pm or email of incoming and for them to log in and get there without rushing so much they forget their tent, which of course means the events are synchronous and random cool down.

Overall I really enjoyed it, it is literally the first team activity I have enjoyed.  As far as I am concerned the initial fail is forgotten.

• Like 1

If they increase drop rate in 2 months no one will do rifts. I found it fun if you don't want to show don't its something added to the game as an option.

• Like 1

Good

1. Rift happened on time. \o/
  2. Big community event, no lag problems on my end.
  3. I had fun!

Bad

1. Overcrowding. Not enough mobs for the number of players.
  2. Loot excessively random. Many people tried their hearts out and got nothing, and that puts a damper on the afterglow of the event. :(
  • Like 2

I agree with several others -- I'd love to see difficulty increase with the number of players in local.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MissWilc said:

I agree with several others -- I'd love to see difficulty increase with the number of players in local.

Since the event already tracks participation in the Rift area, I don't see any reason this wouldn't be doable.

6 hrs travel time+

Time spent getting ready +

The time spent sitting around waiting for rift to open (2 days) -

30 mins fighting tops on Xanadu with no reward besides the a lump of some unknown metal...

=

Not a ton of fun

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

• Multiple Rifts for Larger Servers (Xan)
  • Less wait after first show (2 days is longest but shorter and more often like every day or 2 a rift)(If you have 1 rift make it happen every day... or Multiple rifts if time is spread apart)
  • Difficulty scaling according to the amount of people in a HUGE radius of the rift......

PEOPLE WORRYING ABOUT SCARRED LAND:

Wurm renews always, tree's will return and grow again, Grass will come back.... The houses people built will rot way and leave loot for scavengers.. The cycle of Wurm has begun again.... 

The land scaring will heal. tree's will return, grass will grow.. the houses people built will decay....

Edited by LumpyGravy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

my second Fo priest actually had to patch someone midfight.  

Thanks for the heal. :-P

• Like 1

I got hit with 3 internals and missed the last wave bandaging and Treating

the problem i see with rifts is that people still think they are the same as what they turned uniques into.

public events where everyone has to attend at the same time for the same rifts.

rifts seem to never have been intended for 50+ participants.

try them with about a dozen people and you will see that they can have quite a challenge and especially the ogre mages hit pretty good. but doing the same encounter with 4 times as many people? of course its no challenge.

so going with the "more monsters spawn depending on amount of players in local range" might be a good choice, however it also needs backward scaling for drop chances.

why? well, lets be honest here. most of the rewards seem completely useless for pve. you can take care of trolls with just about anything. you dont need stuff like "reduced bash damage on leather armors" on pve servers. these were meant to be useful in pvp mostly. yet they are disabled on pvp, but thats a topic for another thread.

so if you would have more monsters on pve servers due to higher player counts, and less monsters on the pvp servers due to lower player counts but with the same drop chance of 5% per monster per player, freedom players with 4x+ as many monsters would get a lot more rewards they basically have no use for and will just try to sell them, while the pvpers that might have a use for certain parts of them will only get about 1/4th as many items as pve players, which are still up to the rng if they are actually the useful ones. so to keep it fair, reduce the drop chance the more monsters you spawn.

as for the final reward i can only quote JakeRivers:

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Actually you are lucky to get a seryll lump, I think it twas Armyskin who got a rare steel lump for his reward. As for the size of seryll you have a better chance of getting seryll from rifts than living on chaos and butchering dozens and dozens of val mobs over the coarse of months to maybe get one lump of seryll.

the amount of seryll might seem low to people now, because they think of the weight in comparison to how much seryll it takes to make a full plate armor. but to maintain it, the amount required is way less than that. of course it should be hard to get the best plate set in the game! so whats 20.5kg of seryll to craft a full set? i dont think you can craft a full drake set from doing the same amount of drake slayings.

7 hours ago, Cambriaa said:

Lots of fun, a little crowded but I enjoyed it! I consider any loot just a bonus :D

This is the spirit of a game: enjoyment and fun; anything besides that is just a bonus!

• Like 3

To me that was a great event, like every event where i can meet you all guys, and enjoy some fun with you. I love slayings, now i gotta love rifts as well :)

What my thoughts are:

First of all- difficulty. It was waaaaay too easy. According to the number of players in the rift area, mobs should be stronger and there should be way more of them either. 

Second thought- I don't mind a loot to be rare, hardly gained.... but i can't really see a point of scores if the loot isn't really related to it. I believe that pretty much none from the top of the score list have got any loot except lumps. When many of my friends did get it while being in the middle or even bottom. If the score decides just about lumps type and it's QL it seems to me a bit... redundant really. 

In my opinion, all loot should be or should be more depending on player's score to make it worth to try harder for a player. That's my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellenmarie said:

But some who actually saved our butts didn't rank as high. I mean, i know my longsword was mostly glancing (I'm starting to train huge axe beginning today), yet my kill number was higher than those who made contact repeatedly (with 2 handers/huge axes).

4 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

I was able to get "phenomenal" with my main and "good" with my Fo priest who was firing (crappy) arrows between heals.  Which to me means could be made bit more difficult.

Depending on how the system works for loot - because, no point in hiding the fact everyone is selling theirs in the trade chat and farming will be a thing - might be more interesting to shoot arrows at as many mobs as you can, rather than save the "butts" of peeps rushing in and getting 4 or 5 ogres on their back.

51 minutes ago, Arium said:

why? well, lets be honest here. most of the rewards seem completely useless for pve.

Pauldrons are mostly for look, but the skill rings / anti shattering potions will have an impact on PvE as well. And the current system is not rewarding at all, at least not with those amounts of players. The first live one or the test server ones were better for that.

45 minutes ago, Arium said:

rifts seem to never have been intended for 50+ participants.

45 minutes ago, Arium said:

try them with about a dozen people and you will see that they can have quite a challenge and especially the ogre mages hit pretty good. but doing the same encounter with 4 times as many people? of course its no challenge.

That, exactly that. We are heading toward another system that is worse than the unique ones atm. Rushing head in with no strategy, slay everything and win (or not) something out of it is not really an event. Enki spawning 20 champ spiders on you at an impalong do a better job than the last rift (and there, you know you won't have reward, just fun).

• Like 2

Looking at what was posted about the no repair or imp to the items means that even if you do a Rift every two weeks the demand for the loot will be there. Cause rings go *poof* after 50 hours or wearing and the shoulders will take damage in fights. But the crazy prices people are willing to paying for them now is to me wasting silver for something that will eventually go *poof*. But some got it to burn I guess.

And the "tag and run" way to get higher scores is really way to unfair to the actual players killing the mobs. Meaning, yeah farming the Rifts will happen due to alts just having to run in and tag a few while the main hits away at them and they will then collect double or triple the lump drop for each toon.

Edited by Talohan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Odynn said:

Depending on how the system works for loot - because, no point in hiding the fact everyone is selling theirs in the trade chat and farming will be a thing - might be more interesting to shoot arrows at as many mobs as you can, rather than save the "butts" of peeps rushing in and getting 4 or 5 ogres on their back.

Pauldrons are mostly for look, but the skill rings / anti shattering potions will have an impact on PvE as well. And the current system is not rewarding at all, at least not with those amounts of players. The first live one or the test server ones were better for that.

That, exactly that. We are heading toward another system that is worse than the unique ones atm. Rushing head in with no strategy, slay everything and win (or not) something out of it is not really an event. Enki spawning 20 champ spiders on you at an impalong do a better job than the last rift (and there, you know you won't have reward, just fun).

My second Fo who did the full heal and I think was only at the edge if the got a participation of 1.  I do not think my main Fo priest's crappy arrows gained anything really, in fact the "decent" at 18  (not "good" I must have misread) was almost cetainly from the light of Fo that I cast 3-4 times.  I could have cast a lot more, but did not seem needed except times I did cast 

Had   fun and would do  again :)

Edited by onefox
Typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Arium said:

the problem i see with rifts is that people still think they are the same as what they >>>turned<<< uniques into.

The gem of truth here. Rifts are a different concept seemingly designed to *not* be exclusionary. I see them as more of an event to gather players who have an interest in fighting mobs. Probably better also for those who want fighting skill gains in their various classifications. Then some loot is added to these events to further the lure to them.

Rather than feed the loot greed, the comments I read about not sufficient mobs per attendees would be better addressed in some manner. Enki's mob events were enjoyable because he acted as the mechanic for varying their spawn rate, so I am not too sure that a game mechanic could easily be created to simulate that.

As for the land healing itself as Lumpy stated, this doesn't happen to any significance. If you see beautiful local areas with seemingly natural environments it is because players created and maintain them. This might not be realized because those that do don't make a big deal about it to draw attention to themselves. From the pics I saw it seems the land is also deformed in goofy jagged ups and downs, which will make even more work for those so inclined to do something about it.

Anyway, focus on the fun factor in improvements made. Although the woods may no longer be lovely, dark and deep in these places, I have promises to keep elsewhere.

=Ayes=

Yes the land got hit big time , but it also did it twice, respawn of rift double damage.

I enjoyed the rift so much the first time that i returned from GlassHollow area to do it again.

Also it let me or gave me a reason to explore more of Xanadu and its screwed up roads.

Some people should not be permitted to own a shovel or pick. :rolleyes:

Now i wonder what the timer is for next Rift beam to show.

• Like 1

I had fun, not having to compete or be one of the in-crowd to do this was a great idea. I think the loot is appropriate. I wish there was something to examine at the rift to get a better idea of when it's starting.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ayes said:

As for the land healing itself as Lumpy stated, this doesn't happen to any significance. If you see beautiful local areas with seemingly natural environments it is because players created and maintain them. This might not be realized because those that do don't make a big deal about it to draw attention to themselves. From the pics I saw it seems the land is also deformed in goofy jagged ups and downs, which will make even more work for those so inclined to do something about it.

=Ayes=

Those jagg's were player made. As far as i could see the ground levels did not change with the rift

Edited by LumpyGravy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, LumpyGravy said:

Those jagg's were player made. As far as i could see the ground levels did not change with the rift

Are you sure they were player made? We had a bunch of them at the epic ele rift also and I very much doubt anyone made those

Edited by Worksock

both mrh/ele rifts had them up and down, probably just randomness to make it look unique somehow

would be more interesting if they had special tile textures or something rather than random spikes/pits and random grass/myc in the dirt

Edit:  loot seems fine in the long run.  like if rifts happen every week/month over time people will just be flooded with these shoulders/jewelry that give benefits which cant be too good.  0.25kg seryll is pretty good for risk-free mob killing on pve.  I actually expected more loot than is given, which is why I was against rifts being on home servers on epic, but having done two rifts so far it seems ok.  Out of the two I got one weird shoulder and some necklace (which wasn't even from mrh rift), so I found better reward from a "community event" having fun with friends and other people in my kingdom

Edited by MrGARY