Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rift #2 - feelings and opinions

Here, we go, second rift, even worse than the first time.

We had more players around, more crowded mobs, more deaths and a bigger cluster######. Probably the worst event we ever had on Deliverance so far.

Rift was taken done quickly, nothing surprising with that amount of people, rewards were not properly distributed, again. Most of the good fighters got nothing for their efforts... yay.

As usual, we had the silly 0.25 kg of seryll, some are already speaking of farming rifts for it.

Is it where we are headed, pity to say the test server was more fun with the small tightly knit groups we had. Live ones are only getting worse and worse. Please team, do something!

• Like 5

Yep, I got nothing but the end rewards (albeit I was late and it was crowded).

The end rewards seem a bit low, 50ql 0.25kg of seryll almost wasnt worth it to roll out of bed and rush there.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Odynn said:

... rewards were not properly distributed, again...

Hard to make that claim if there is a random element to rewards, we all know Rolf likes large standard deviations.  They also mentioned they will monitor and adjust difficulty levels, so a little patience.

Edited by hankrearden
grammar
  • Like 1

I'm seriously not happy about how the loot is done, I haven't got anything yet except seryll lump at the end both times. It's disappointing, and .25kg seryll just isn't enough for me to keep doing this.

The list /rift seems to only factor Quality of lump, the higher it is the better the lump is. 

You can easily get a top rank by just tagging every mob and doing no damage.

• Like 3

What would make them more interesting:

longer harder waves

no or very short warning time

randomized start time and location per server

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Just finished the rift on Xanadu and I have taken note of a lot of things that need to be tweaked, both on the dev side and on the player side. 

One of those things being mob spawn rate. The Xanadu mobs were spawning 2-3 at a time. They weren't hard at all just a speed bump to the end goal. They should either all spawn at once or more than 2-3 at a time. 

Mob difficulty is another thing. They have been severally brought down from what they were on test. For example, I was tanking the Rift Warmaster with 76fs 50 huge axe and 80ql plate with AOSP and I did not get past 70 health. The entire hour that we fought the thing I did not get past 90 health. The champion orge's that spawned were way to easy to take down. I fought one with 3 people and it went down way to easily. 

A third thing is loot. For my efforts to close the rift all I got was a 77ql .25kg seryll lump. I think loot should be increased to 10% if not 15%. 5% is just way to low. Out of 40 people in one group only like 5 people got loot. 

Now this next one enraged me so much. It is something for the players to take note of. Please.... do not being carts into the rift area to fight on. Many people brought carts to the rift and brought them into the fight. This only made it harder for the rest of the people. It caused the mobs to get to crowded, therefor, not everyone was able to get a hit in and because of that they did not get a chance at the loot drop. Also if you bring carts into the fight don't be a ###### and have hell horses pulling the cart. I was fighting hell horses the majority of the time instead of the actual rift beasts. If we could kill animals hitched to a cart I would have killed the hell horses and left the player stranded out of pure rage. It is a ###### move to bring hell horses into public fighting events weather it be a unique slaying or a rift event. 

• Like 6

I probably dont need to add... Is it worth doing Rifts? - NO, sorry, at least not for .25 avg ql S lump...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

longer harder waves

not sure about the harder waves. at this point i'd believe more in smaller scaled rifts, without the 2 days warning time and with randomized location.

It's a pity that all the testing we did on the test server and the many many, did i say many, suggestion we did were not listened to.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jaz said:

What would make them more interesting:

longer harder waves

+ to this :P

Don't touch the timer pls, better even make it accessible by some command.

9 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

One of those things being mob spawn rate. The Xanadu mobs were spawning 2-3 at a time. They weren't hard at all just a speed bump to the end goal. They should either all spawn at once or more than 2-3 at a time. 

Mob difficulty is another thing. They have been severally brought down from what they were on test. For example, I was tanking the Rift Warmaster with 76fs 50 huge axe and 80ql plate with AOSP and I did not get past 70 health. The entire hour that we fought the thing I did not get past 90 health. The champion orge's that spawned were way to easy to take down. I fought one with 3 people and it went down way to easily.

The thing with difficulty and spawnrate is it should scale with the number of fighters. Yes we had over 40 people, but i doubt it was as easy on Pristine, for instance. Another issue is the definition of difficulty. Is something considered "difficult" for 40 people supposed to kill 20 of them?  Or make them all organise in professional raid group? That would ward off a lot of people, i'm afraid.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

If you increase the drop percentage of the loot then that just means rifts become obsolete sooner - bad idea.  you don't do this event for the small lump either, you do it for the CHANCE at good loots.

keep the damn 2 day warning.  let the devs try to adjust mob numbers and strengths instead of trying to limit the number of people who can enjoy this event.  That mindset pisses me off and is bad for the game.

• Like 7

Perhaps it would be better to have a 10% drop chance for moonmetal on every kill and when the rift is over, everyone should receive an item (ring, brancelet) etc...

I'm not a big fan of these RIfts. I prefer to play in a low fantasy setting rather then this. I would be much happier to see the shoulder parts as craftable items.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, zigozag said:

+ to this :P

Don't touch the timer pls, better even make it accessible by some command.

The thing with difficulty and spawnrate is it should scale with the number of fighters. Yes we had over 40 people, but i doubt it was as easy on Pristine, for instance. Another issue is the definition of difficulty. Is something considered "difficult" for 40 people supposed to kill 20 of them?  Or make them all organise in professional raid group? That would ward off a lot of people, i'm afraid.

Yeah I am not 100% sure how easy it would be for the devs to scale the difficulty with the amount of players there but that would be a good idea. 

I agree with Hank.  Keep the loot drop rate low.  Let's not flood the market with 100 new shoulders every rift cycle.

I'm also a fan of the random rift opening times, with little or no warning.  Pristine was a big crowd today.  Bigger groups make for less chance to score well.  As Niki sates above and I stated in my other thread, you need to run around tagging everything to hit the high kill marks and can do so, while producing zero benefit to the team.

Change the method for calculating participation levels PLEASE!  Make it based on damage delt + damage received + healing done, to give all play styles a fair shake at the rewards.

Seryll lump QL is a mix of RNG and your participation rank.  Nearly all in Phenominal get 80+.  Bottom rank gets none.  Decent gets 20-30ish, etc.  THis seems fine to me, as long as we change how participation is calculated.

• Like 5

I personally don't care as much for the loot as i care for the fun of participating in these events.. the loot will come eventually..

On the test server i had way more fun and it was more exciting over what we had today on Xanadu.

I wouldn't mind smaller rifts where only a few players would attend because they are closer to it, but that would ruin the xanadu landscape pretty fast, if a lot of these rifts pop up and destroy the wilderness :)

Maybe the wave AI need to have the "I" tweaked a bit.. if the first 5 creatures are killed fast.. spawn 5 next time, not one at a time.. if those also get killed, spawn 3 champs at once, and so on.. make it challenging not a slaughter house.. I'm sure at the hunt today if a few champs would have killed 3-4 players everyone would have backed down and organized a bit before engaging again..

• Like 7

Actually you are lucky to get a seryll lump, I think it twas Armyskin who got a rare steel lump for his reward. As for the size of seryll you have a better chance of getting seryll from rifts than living on chaos and butchering dozens and dozens of val mobs over the coarse of months to maybe get one lump of seryll.

As for the size of the lump, it is 25x more than you get from killing a drake!

0.25 seryll weight is low?. ok how much seryll you found on Freedom clusters in for the last time ? next time we can got just 0,025 ... Finally, there's the chance to get moon material. and you do not like the amount. .

And It could be higher difficulty. 

Have a nice day. :)

• Like 2

I had a lot of fun. Things lived long enough for it to be constant action but didn't live so long that it was a slog. I'm not a top end fighter nor do I have top end gear - 90QL studded and a 90QL longsword/huge axe with LT at 75.5 FS. It was hard enough to be fun but not hard enough to kill me although I did have to retreat to heal twice.

After seeing the landscape, I'm like Faty there. I don't think 5 of them open at once would do much to help the view. 

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

The Release rift was good fun, and although sometimes too crowded to hit stuff, there was almost always something else to go hit instead.  I'm not sure exact numbers, but I guess we had something close to just right - it wasn't terribly difficult, but also not *yawn* easy.  A better spread of moonmetal lumps at the end would be nice (I think everyone came away with seryll, I know of 1 rare lump), but assuming the rifts will be somewhat common, I don't see the low loot chance as being a problem.

Assuming rifts are common-ish, tho, I do worry at the amount of landscape damage across the server.  Have to wait and see on that one.

• Like 3

I think we had 35-40 on Release, Panda. And yeah, it did scar the landscape a bit. I had thought more than 1 per server at a time would be cool but we would live on the moon in no time.

Was at Cele rift, was actually fun, although IMO rewards were too low. Loot is what motivates people to run these encounters. Challenge(curiosity) the first cpl of times, then it is all about loot. Time will tell, whether they are worth the effort for people.

My opinion tho is, that instead of rifts the devs should've improved the uniques system with similar features as rifts have. At first uniques spawn location gets a marker, that place can't be deeded, unique doesn't leave its area etc. Few days after the marker lights, dragon etc spawns and is ready to kill, loot is distributed randomly between every participant(not including alts standing nearby). Rifts I would scale down(also lower the droprate of pauldrons etc, lumps are fine tbh) so it would be possible to even solo and make them spawn frequently across the server (simultaneously several rifts could be open).

• Like 2

I think rfts were cool! Only our expectations were too high :) 

• Like 3

I honestly thought that it was fine. A lot of the perceived problems come as a result of overcrowding, which is to be expected for the first rift and is a problem that will lessen over time.

That said, the only thing I'd suggest is scaling the number of enemies according to how many players are nearby - this will ensure a consistent experience across all servers and into the future. If there are technical limitations which make that difficult or impossible, an alternative might be to give high population servers (ie, Xanadu) two simultaneous rifts to spread players out more.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 3

Lots of fun, a little crowded but I enjoyed it! I consider any loot just a bonus :D

• Like 2