Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Thoughts on the first Rifts

It really seems like the early warning beacon is a bit of an easy mode feature.  Players from all servers can sail around, scoping out which server makes the easiest target to go after.  For players that like to stick with their own servers, this creates a bit of imbalance.  It also takes all the surprise out of the new rift feature.  It also insures that tons of folks are pre-camped in advance, making the rift waves get slaughtered with ease and in very little time.  The 2 wave rift on Pristine was active for about a half hour and it was over.  Even if it had gone a whole 3 waves, it would have ended too quickly.  Easy mode = boring.  As proven on Test, a solo 90 skill player can handle all rift waves, using the free heals. 

Make these rifts more random and no beacon until the rift opens.  Also, please increase the number of creatures that spawn in the normal 3 waves, or if not that, then make more waves, to insure rifts last long enough for folks to come running for the fun.

From what I heard at the Pristine rift today, nearly everyone was having a great time.  Let's make it last longer and eliminate the pre-camp.  Seriously, what invading force gives you advance notice?  "Ok wurmians, we are coming to take over your world!  We will be arriving at this spot in 3 days, so you better be ready!"

+1 to no early warning

+1 to more creatures

+1 to more waves

= more fun

Thank you for the rifts regardless! Great addition!

• Like 5

Days of preparation and travelling across half the continent (Xan).

Made plans at work to come home earlier to be able to take part in the Rift crew.

Log in this morning (CET) to check on my horse and stuff -> Rift has already passed ahead of time

*sigh*

• Like 5

Seriously?

You've just said that a skilled player can solo the Rift, granted we don't have free heals here, but we have Fo. So then that's exactly what would happen if it didn't spawn the beam prior to mobs:a tiny team of skilled fighters and healers would gather up in a matter of minutes, sprint there and close the Rift. Nobody would have any decent chance to participate.

More waves or stronger waves? Maybe this could protect us from what i described. A tiny little bit.

• Like 3

Slept through that one.. But I slept well, thank you. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Seriously?

You've just said that a skilled player can solo the Rift, granted we don't have free heals here, but we have Fo. So then that's exactly what would happen if it didn't spawn the beam prior to mobs:a tiny team of skilled fighters and healers would gather up in a matter of minutes, sprint there and close the Rift. Nobody would have any decent chance to participate.

More waves or stronger waves? Maybe this could protect us from what i described. A tiny little bit.

so you prefer camping each event and clearing it in less than 30 min?

Of course! The camping you're talking about is performed by everybody on the server who want to participate and got time for that. That's exactly what Rifts are meant for, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

so you prefer camping each event and clearing it in less than 30 min?

Camping it and clearing it in 30 minutes is a vast improvement over having it cleared out when you aren't around. I barely got to participate in the last wave due to them opening earlier than expected.

-1 to no warning.

Lets' see, did not like the timer, then timer was off.  I step away from my computer for literally an hour and return to the "rift has been" closed, which means the who no warning is just as much crap as 3 days warning.  There was zero chance to get across the server in time.  

My disappointment on this, on something i was looking forward to is os high that i personally do not care at all about rifts at this point.  Bug or not this really sucked, like buying someone a gift telling them they get it in a couple days, then taking dump on it throwing it in the trash for no good reason at all.

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 4

Cleric, new features are always a bit buggy on launch.  The process will get better.

in Elder scrolls online, there was a huge warning sound, then chains dropped out of the sky, then the action begins.  If you were near, you got to join in on the rift.  If not, then not.  Not sure why every event needs to have everyone camped before hand.

• Like 2

Because it's not an everyday event. There's no point in introducing a big feature at all if due to nature and soul of the game 90% will never get to enjoy it. it's just fine as is, only needs to get fixed. The first one was epic fail so far.

• Like 1

Agree,

this was an epic fail & shouldn't happen. Better no early warning then at all, it only disappoints people.

And if it's an "invasion" it shouldn't be able to be ended by a few ppl in a short time.

This wasn't fun at all.

2 hours ago, griper said:

Days of preparation and travelling across half the continent (Xan).

Made plans at work to come home earlier to be able to take part in the Rift crew.

Log in this morning (CET) to check on my horse and stuff -> Rift has already passed ahead of time

*sigh*

I had the same situation.

-1 for this event

Edited by Bakeruss
  • Like 2

The Rifts ended early due to certain checks to spawn the next wave happening several times thus advancing it to closing.

It'll be corrected and we'll look at the warning time too

• Like 2

Just now, Retrograde said:

The Rifts ended early due to certain checks to spawn the next wave happening several times thus advancing it to closing.

It'll be corrected and we'll look at the warning time too

Do you think new rifts will be spawned for the servers that got their bugged? Xanadu, Release, and Pristine are the ones I know of. 

Most likely, we'll share more in tonights news.

Testing for bugs is always different to testing how it fits in with the flow of the game, once we were sure that the bugs (well, minus this one) were removed, the next stage is always seeing how it fits in with play, thus the 3 day timers, and repeated statements of how the timers, and respawning can and will change, according to how they play out on the live servers.

We can also adjust loot and what rewards can be gotten, so this system allows us to have a huge amount of flexibility

• Like 4

Personally I would not change much of how it's supposed to work. Get the bugs sorted out and we're good to go!

3 days of preparation is good for the people who don't actually "live" in the game, as many of us do. Plan ahead, get to the site, socialize even. I certainly would not add a timer "opening in 2 hours 2 minutes 43 seconds", rather leave the real moment unclear, +/- a few hours randomly ever time.

The only thing I'd like to see added is a 5-10 minute warning of the actual rift opening so people have time to react. Ya know, get the word out in social media and whatnot for friends, "get online, it starts now" and stuff, because we may be camping there, but still need to take real life breaks ;)

It could be made as a graphical warning, aka the red light spreads to the whole area, nature changes.... tensions rise... party leaders hold the "This is our day! DEEAAATTHHHH!!!" speaches. *chills and battle music*

• Like 4

If the rifts are that fast we need much more ones to spawn and absolutely we need it be randomized during the daytime. Had no chance to join up, it is a workday daytime for me. I mean ALL the rifts being released at the same time.

• Like 4

Because I hate typing the same thing twice :

On 25/05/2016 at 2:58 AM, Odynn said:

Good idea, bad implementation.

So yeah, i'm not a fan of the 3 days timer... why because as soon as the beacon appear, you know where and when the rift will be there... so much for the local event.

Huge lack of information on the feature. the misinformation / disinformation is huge in all channels, be them CA Help / Freedom / GL or even the forum. We had a test done various issues raised (location for example) and nothing was done to prevent them from happening on the live servers. Chaos example.

Same thing, we do not know the delay between rifts. Chaos one was closed and as far as i know, no reports of another one was made. So what, one rift every few days, week, months ?

Loot, seeing the quick pauldrons offers on the trade chat, the market will be flooded with them soon enough. Pauldrons are not the biggest interest in the rifts rewards, the skill ring, no shatter potions, and others weirdness found there are interesting. My biggest issue with the pauldrons atm is the fact they were designed for PvP (see the bonuses) and removed from PvP, see the many threads about them being OP. Not only their amount is limited, but their interest as well. As i suggested in my random thoughts in the test thread, it would be better to randomise the items and the perks, instead of 11 (or 12 whatever), make it 11 items with a random chance of having one of the 11 perks, so a total of 121 items to find / collect / use. Should expand the market a bit.

Rifts and beacons... yup, I'd love to see more than once active at the same time on a server. Why not scale the rifts size difficulty, 10x10 - 30x30 - 50x50 areas. Do not give a specific timer but color code it from yellow to bright red, ranging from a few hours when you see it appearing and a small rift opening to the 3 days and  a huge rift spitting loads of monsters on the land of wurm.

I'd love to see a proper balance between the frequency / difficulty of those events, the amount of players involved and the loot reward. We can't really say a lot about the rifts yet, but only complain about the delay before being able to play with them.

Wait and see, and don't feel too disappointed yet.

6 hours ago, Odynn said:

Well, after the first REAL rift (aka, not a test server one), rifts are promising but really far from perfect yet.

The 72 hours timer was wrong. closer to 55/60ish. So the peeps who were relying on that information missed it.

The kill all for the next wave didn't worked... hmkay, not cool. But on another hand, i'd rather slay mobs and burn their hearts, so meh.

Rewards... well, they were low. Few pads, few rings, few weird weapony thingy bracelet, the silly 0.25 kg of seryll... and even better : 0.40 kg or rare steel lump.

Just as we feared, no news about the next one. Wait and see again there. Maybe this week news & update can shed some light about how it works.

Broken, no, the core mechanisms are here and working properly. Balanced spawn and reward wise : not at all. Fun and cooperative for sure which is one of the best thing so far. With the right tweaks it can become a really really interesting feature.

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

Due to the unique nature of wurm population (ie, the players), it will be hard to have a time fitting everyone, be there in the US, UE, Australia or on the south pole.

Getting players together is fine up to the point where its start to be an awfull laggy mess.

Solution : multiple rifts, at random times, in different areas. If the loot rate is as awfull as the deli one, it will be fine market wise. It will also allow players to join in where and when they want. Spontaneous events are fine as said in the previous posts, they break the monotony, you can chose to pitch in or ignore them. Limited predictable ones is just counterproductive to the whole idea.

From that thread :

forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/141520-rifts-are-broken/

• Like 3

I can't really write my first thoughts on rifts because the forums have rules against posts filled soley with expletive.

Edited by Etherdrifter
Autocorrect hates me
  • Like 3

Is the intention to make us camping afk for days at a location? If so I'm not interested, would kill away a lot of other joy.  Make it a surprise with a short (or zero) timer.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Is the intention to make us camping afk for days at a location? If so I'm not interested, would kill away a lot of other joy.  Make it a surprise with a shirt (or zero) timer.

Why? Once you know the location, figure out how much time you'll need to get there and you don't need to camp afk for days. Unless you enjoy building shanty town and hanging out with people.

38 minutes ago, Jaz said:

If the rifts are that fast we need much more ones to spawn and absolutely we need it be randomized during the daytime. Had no chance to join up, it is a workday daytime for me. I mean ALL the rifts being released at the same time.

This makes sense.

• Like 2

If r he rifts are closed in 30 mins and the start time is not set in stone it is a camp only event... 

I guess that would be your answer to Shmeric then, +- few hours were only suggested by him. Bad idea, indeed.

Whole concept of rifts(wurm version) is wrong. They tried to carbon copy a feature from other game, but it failed miserably. Devs, next time you start to copy a feature, study it first. Rifts were great in Rift(maybe other games have tried that), because they were dynamic, they were weaved into gameplay more or less seamlessly. The version here is exactly the opposite. They are disruptive, as players need to break all they are doing and go camp a location. It doesn't even offer much unexpected, because when you have to wait something for three days and it finally happens, it is hardly a surprise any more(in case you are awake of course :D ).

Edited by rixk
  • Like 5