Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Thoughts on the first Rifts

This all makes me want to play Rift again. lol  I could just ride up to any rift in any zone at any given time and smash face. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

This all makes me want to play Rift again. lol  I could just ride up to any rift in any zone at any given time and smash face. :)

Hehe, I am installing it right now. :D

One of the best features about these Rifts is the location and advanced warning that the Rift beams provide. This allows all who wish to participate in these Rift events enough time to plan ahead to be there and removes them from the clutches and dominance of the serial Unique hunters. Also when they do open it should be at the same time on all servers so that these types of server jumpers will not have the constant opportunity to hop from one Rift to the next. The main benefit and difference with these Rifts is that they seem to be designed to encourage the participation of anyone and not just organized dominating groups, thus being a very different approach than Unique farming for cash.

I read in the weekly update thread that this warning will be reduced to 2 days. This seems fine as it still will give the more casual player time to join in the fun and fight some new mobs without needing to ask anyone's permission to be in on the event; but, the timer should not be shorter than this just because certain groups on certain servers want to be the ones in control.

Another feature that I find particularly nice is that these mobs are all confined within this mini type of zone so that if some players don't want to be bothered by them they won't and can just go on about pursuing their other interests as usual.

As for the bugs, yea so what? This is something new with complex additions to the game. Give it all some time and things will evolve, be changed and adjustments made. All in all a great concept to provide more equal opportunity to all interested players to gather together and kill stuff, with even some loot distributed in the end.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

7 minutes ago, Ayes said:

One of the best features about these Rifts is the location and advanced warning that the Rift beams provide. This allows all who wish to participate in these Rift events enough time to plan ahead to be there and removes them from the clutches and dominance of the serial Unique hunters. Also when they do open it should be at the same time on all servers so that these types of server jumpers will not have the constant opportunity to hop from one Rift to the next. The main benefit and difference with these Rifts is that they seem to be designed to encourage the participation of anyone and not just organized dominating groups, thus being a very different approach than Unique farming for cash.

I read in the weekly update thread that this warning will be reduced to 2 days. This seems fine as it still will give the more casual player time to join in the fun and fight some new mobs without needing to ask anyone's permission to be in on the event; but, the timer should not be shorter than this just because certain groups on certain servers want to be the ones in control.

Another feature that I find particularly nice is that these mobs are all confined within this mini type of zone so that if some players don't want to be bothered by them they won't and can just go on about pursuing their other interests as usual.

As for the bugs, yea so what? This is something new with complex additions to the game. Give it all some time and things will evolve, be changed and adjustments made. All in all a great concept to provide more equal opportunity to all interested players to gather together and kill stuff, with even some loot distributed in the end.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

It's actually one of the worst features for many already stated reasons throughout this thread and the recent news thread.  Logical sense.

Hopefully they are weekly instead monthly. I don't think anyone knows for sure how common it is.

7 hours ago, Slickshot said:

It's actually one of the worst features for many already stated reasons throughout this thread and the recent news thread.  Logical sense.

-1 to no warning.  The only reason given to get rid of warnings is so the 'elites' could have their own private events.  This would be bad for wurm.  The 'elites' have already inhaled the crafting market, these rift events need to available to everyone.  THE DAY ROLF STOPS LISTENING TO THE 'ELITES' IS THE DAY WURM STARTS GETTING BETTER.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hankrearden said:

-1 to no warning.  The only reason given to get rid of warnings is so the 'elites' could have their own private events.  This would be bad for wurm.  The 'elites' have already inhaled the crafting market, these rift events need to available to everyone.  THE DAY ROLF STOPS LISTENING TO THE 'ELITES' IS THE DAY WURM STARTS GETTING BETTER.

You apparently haven't read any of the recent comments about removing the warning.  Please don't make asinine assumptions.

So far I quite like the rifts, I was fortunate enough yesterday to take part in the Chaos one. It spawned partly up a mountain but it terraformed the area alittle to help make the area usable for a fight which I thought was pretty neat. I really like the fact there's some variety in in terms of the fighting style of the mobs (Spell casting etc) but I was dissapointed in the lack of variety with the models, since the majority of them are just different sizes of the same Rabbit man with only very minimal changes if any. 

I also want to express disappointment in the incomplete nature of implementation, some of the items such as bracelets aren't even able to be worn and things such as the necklaces don't have models.  Relatively small things like this are what make the difference in my mind between a polished product which people get instead of the "work in progress" on live servers that we're sadly used to seeing. Considering we are still waiting on models for some items for over 3 years now who knows if these will even be usable or have models ingame. at any point in the future.  

I think things like this have the potential to add some really positive stuff to the game and they are fairly enjoyable.  However as usual the art team and the dev team have somewhat fallen sort in some regards.  

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

You apparently haven't read any of the recent comments about removing the warning.  Please don't make asinine assumptions.

aside from one guy wanted to 'keep it local' (was not intention) and one guy wanting it a surprise (it is not a surprise if it is gone before you know about it), everyone else not defending the warning was just complaining about the bugged nature of the event, which i do not consider to be a criticism of the idea that a warning should be in place.  Still waiting to see this 'logical sense' you spoke of.

I like the warning system.

I don't know about you guys but I have to balance work, school and a girlfriend so unlike some folks I can't spend 12 hours a day sitting around in Wurm waiting for stuff top happen. I need to plan my Wurm time and I feel that a 2 day warning is a great idea. I would also be fine with it being shortened to 24 hours but 24 hours would be a bare minimum for me.

23 hours ago, Lycanthropic said:

Unless I missed some event-window message that gets posted on twitter, do we have this twitter notice?

Gods, I hope not.  Too much integration of the game with social media now as it is, imo. Those of us who are not joined-at-the-hip to their social media with 24/7 contact in the game, find this to be a real buzz kill.  Personally, I'd rather see all communication with twitter or any other outside-of-the-game rubbish gone from Wurm completely.  Not everyone likes or uses social media, or want it invading their lives outside the game, much less in their games. 

Dragon drama aside, I am really hoping that these rifts are going to be something that everyone can enjoy rather than turning into another dragon-type feature for the few, just with a different skin and slightly different mechanics.

As for the warning timer.  I have mixed feelings on that and I'm not really sure which way would be better, timer or no timer. 

What I am sure of is I really liked the way they do something similar in Istaria (formerly Horizons).  They're like a rift, and they open spontaneously (sometimes right over your head, lol), and away from housing areas.  They stay until enough people gather to get rid of it.  If it blocks a favored travel route people will generally get rid of it faster, but they can be easily avoided.

What they are not, and what I'd like Wurm rifts to NOT be, is just another feature that can be dominated by any group.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

I want more rifts. So I would like a 12 hour warning  and rifts to respawn within 24 hours of it being closed. This way at max there would be 2 rifts per 24 hours(if the rift was closed) and at minimum 1 per 24 hours if it was closed.

For pve. I'll leave timing and how many per week in pvp up  those that play pvp.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hankrearden said:

aside from one guy wanted to 'keep it local' (was not intention) and one guy wanting it a surprise (it is not a surprise if it is gone before you know about it), everyone else not defending the warning was just complaining about the bugged nature of the event, which i do not consider to be a criticism of the idea that a warning should be in place.  Still waiting to see this 'logical sense' you spoke of.

Hmm.  You didn't read my post in the news did you?  Go read my stand point on it.  And read the many "likes" that my post has garnered.  Oh while you're at it, read the other people's comments that agreed with me.  THEN you can come back here and tell me I was right.  Thanks.  Don't mistake my snarkiness for being rude, recall that you're the one who said the only people who want shorter timers are 'elitists'.  News for you pal, I'm no elitist, I just enjoy a fun feature like anyone else without having to wade through 60 people and 2-3 days to get to it.

P.S.  See above post.  Ohana's reason for wanting a very short warning system = an opportunity for more frequent rifts. ;)

Edited by Slickshot

10 hours ago, hankrearden said:

Interesting. Seems many agree on the problem to be avoided but disagree on solutions.  

I agree completely with the part I underlined, but I kinda disagree with the solution.  As I've said, I have mixed feelings about the timer and not sure what would actually accomplish making the rifts fun events for the many that can't be dominated by the few. 

I'm currently leaning more towards the idea that spontaneity and frequency would work better than having a long timer that allows controlling groups to gather & camp & set conditions for who can join & what each should be doing, etc., before it starts.  I think that people just showing up and jumping in to help clear it would be a better way to go, tbh. (I think. lol.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hankrearden said:

Wow, I'm certain this is about the most flawed post I've read in a while.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

Wow, I'm certain this is about the most flawed post I've read in a while.

I have to agree with you, Shrimp. Many of the recent changes to things were quite the other direction. 

The only problem with the first rifts was that they started earlier than the 72 hours indicated. Now it is 48 I think. WhyKillMe (LOL not implying you are elitist, there WKM!) even had a timer up for the first ones. It's just that the timer was trumped by a glitch.

On another note, I would like to see more than one present at a time that open at different times on the same day so that the people on the other side of the world aren't missing out at 2am local time.

• Like 1

Making more than 1 rift spawn is good way to keep the possibility minimum, that someone will control the rifts. Because people simply won't be able to be at several locations at the same time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amadee said:

I'm currently leaning more towards the idea that spontaneity and frequency would work better than having a long timer that allows controlling groups to gather & camp & set conditions for who can join & what each should be doing, etc., before it starts.  I think that people just showing up and jumping in to help clear it would be a better way to go, tbh. (I think. lol.)

As it is right now, i do not believe there is any way for people to restrict access to a rift, or to restrict the loot.  If that ever becomes the case then i agree spontaneity will be needed.  As long as access and loot can not be restricted, I do not see how spontaneity would be advantageous to the average player.  If anything it would add an additional barrier to entry.

Also, increasing the frequency and having a lengthy warning are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hankrearden said:

As it is right now, i do not believe there is any way for people to restrict access to a rift, or to restrict the loot.  If that ever becomes the case then i agree spontaneity will be needed.  As long as access and loot can not be restricted, I do not see how spontaneity would be advantageous to the average player.  If anything it would add an additional barrier to entry.

Also, increasing the frequency and having a lengthy warning are not mutually exclusive.

That's true.  And as someone reminded me earlier, we can't really compare to dragon drama because in the case of dragons there's only one critter, so not much can be done about that.  Well, guess we'll just have to wait and see how things fall out and worry about it if it does turn into a problem.  :)

• Like 1

I'm with Amadee. Short or no timer at all. I don't feel like camping. Ever. I'd rather come upon them in the wilderness and be surprised. (And for the weaker or new players, it's not like the rifts can't be avoided...so no harm).

More frequent rifts, much more. More randomness. And guess what? I'm not an elitist.

• Like 3