Sign in to follow this  
Cista

How to improve a dye?

The wikipedia says:

" Dye's RGB values can be changed using the base material.

• Higher ql base material hightens RGB values"

This sounds like you can improve a dye after it has been made.

But how exactly?

Activate dye ingredient (cochineal, copper lump, etc), rightclick on the dye and choose "Mix".

Ok, and can this work even if the amount of dye is already large, like 10 kg?

i know it didnt work for 240of dye, or it was so slow it didnt seem to work,so i had to separate it in multiple containers when i did that.
 for 10kg should be fine i think.

just be sure you know how rgb colors works and remember cochineals raise R copper will raise G and woads raise B and how far you can go depends on the materials ql, easiest way to make tests its with copper if you got a nice vein.

well, as I understand it, cochineal, copper and woad push R, G and B up closer to 255

but is there way how to push R, G and B down closer to zero?

With big amount of dye you need big amount of materials to improve it.

3 hours ago, Zakerak said:

well, as I understand it, cochineal, copper and woad push R, G and B up closer to 255

but is there way how to push R, G and B down closer to zero?

its been a long time since i tried so i dont remember the figures but you can lower the values with very crappy materials, like 1ql copper or whatever but you can never get close to 0 the lowest i could get was over 100 iirc using like 0 ql cochineals.

its not supposed to be a way to make black dye

Good! I tried the "mixing" and it works.

But it is a bit odd. When you create (blue) colour, the QL of the woad influences the QL of the dye, and the QL of the dye is correlated with the "B" of the rgb colors, so the higher QL, the more pure blue color.

However, if you mix with more woad, then the "B" increases, but that is now not correlated with any increase in QL. 

What does the QL then signify? And would I be better off making dye with my highest QL woad from the start, or saving the best woad to "improve" a more mediocre batch? No idea :)

Edited by Cista

Quality isn't important and doesn't get raised with the mixing. It's the RGB factors that matter. It takes time to figure out but it can be fun(ish) lol.

1 hour ago, Cista said:

But it is a bit odd. When you create (blue) colour, the QL of the woad influences the QL of the dye, and the QL of the dye is correlated with the "B" of the rgb colors, so the higher QL, the more pure blue color.

However, if you mix with more woad, then the "B" increases, but that is now not correlated with any increase in QL. 

What does the QL then signify? And would I be better off making dye with my highest QL woad from the start, or saving the best woad to "improve" a more mediocre batch? No idea :)

3 hours ago, Cista said:

when you are creating the ql of the dye doesnt just affect how high the B is for example with woad but also how low the others are. the higher ql your dye is when you create the higher blue and lower red and green it will have. what is better depends on which color you want to get.

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

when you are creating the ql of the dye doesnt just affect how high the B is for example with woad but also how low the others are. the higher ql your dye is when you create the higher blue and lower red and green it will have. what is better depends on which color you want to get.

ah!  I did in fact not notice the different values of the two secondary colors.

I see this is an old thread but it's related to my question...

After reading this, it seem it's a bad idea to even try to "mix" with say a cochineal (or other dye mats) on red dye since this wont lower the green or blue colors.  A better way to get precise colors would be using measure jug, very pure base colors and weighted average math. Obviously I'll need high NS skill and 90ql cochineal to do this.

Another way of saying this, with the dye system we need to get high skill and high ql materials to create the pure dyes. It's done this way instead of making lower ql dye and trying to improve it. And with the pure dyes colors we can mix them precisely to get whatever color we want.

I've been wondering what to do with my lower ql dye mats and it seems I should just garbage them. I could train NS skill with them but it's a lot of filling containers and moving liquids around. That is much harder then making HC with a combine stack of wemp + reed.

Am I right here? Any other thoughts?