Sign in to follow this  
Noevi

About littering.

I find it to be troublesome that there are so many large carts, wagons and boats littering the place, especially the ones that end up on your deed,  and you then can't do anything about them.

First off it looks bad, secondly it probably doesn't help server performance.

Note that this is mainly about abandoned vehicles.

Basically, I would like various vehicles to be removed faster than they are currently, and I have a few ideas about how to do this:

• Vehicles that belong to players with no active premium decay at accelerated speed.
  • Vehicles that belong to players that have not been online for a month begin to rapidly decay.
  • Vehicles that have not moved in a long time decay at an accelerated speed.
  • Horses attached to wagons/carts will starve/break free if the wagon/cart has not been used for a long time(2-4 weeks?).
  • Vehicles that do not belong to a villager of the deed they are parked on will decay rapidly if they have been there for a set amount of time(1 week?)
  • Boats parked in shallow water take damage at an increasing rate.

The above are just ideas, and I think anything that would get rid of these things are a huge improvement, regardless of what that might be(as long as it doesn't force people to repair their vehicles constantly if they are being used).

Another acceptable solution would be for locks to decay quickly using any of the above, so that we can at least move the things.

Currently on my deed I have a boatload(no pun) of boats, carts, wagons etcetera that are wasting space, probably causing lag and look horrible.

I feel it also makes little sense that I can litter other players deeds with boats, large carts and wagons without them being able to do anything about it.

I am aware that GM's will currently assist with these issues, however it seems a waste of both their time and the players to assist with such tasks.

Noevi

• Like 2

I wish there was more boat and cart litter

It used to be so easy on Epic to find a random sailboat somewhere when you needed one, and if it was locked who cares, we could pick it.

Now with elevation and affliction both being reset, most of those trusty abandonned boats are deleted, and its harder than it's ever been to get a new boat when you need one

I would agree that it would be nice if you could have a "no mooring" rule for your deed, so that if you pay for the water, you have some control over it.  Then at least you could "push" the boats away.  I'm not really a fan of higher decay ticks.  But also you should make sure that you check off the "anyone can repair/improve"

I'd rather see a way to take over the ownership (same as the picking planted stuff system) and then let us do whatever we want with them.

AND add a bashing option to all the things that don't have one.

As for higher decay ticks, I lost two boats that I was using from time to time, so I believe we don't need it.

We had the salvage rule before and it will never kick in now because everything is created with a lock.  I wasn't a fan of it anyway. 

Alexgopen: It's completely different with the pvp servers, you can just steal the boat and be done with it, as it should be, this is really only about freedom.

Like it said in my original post, either of the suggestions could be applied to the locks themselves decaying instead.

Please don't get hung up on the solutions I personally presented, I'm sure older players have many better ideas for how to solve it.

The bottom line is that I don't think anyone thinks it's fun to have their entire new harbor cluttered by 1 year old boats, wagons and carts.

A bashing option would be fine as well like Odynn said, the reason I thought about trying to use decay for it was to help land "revert" more to a natural state to make it less discouraging for new players to settle, so they don't see this littered piece of land when searching, and I don't believe it helps with the games "abandoned" feel either.

Having a no mooring/parking option on deed would be useful, being able to push carts and wagons with animals on them would also help(on your deed). That would at least help with the "random strangers wagon in the middle of my farm field" issue.

Also as far as the decay changes I mentioned, none of them were to make it more annoying for an active, subscribed player. It was purely about trying to target abandoned vehicles, the details of how to accomplish that is why this is a forum post and not an email, so that others can provide feedback.

None of the decay changes were to apply to your ships, as active players on your deeds, only talking about that one ship you left over at pristine when making a delivery 2 years ago and can't be bothered to go get, for example.

Thanks for the feedback those of you that wrote something :)

Noevi

Before the new permissions systems went into effect for deeds the mayor (and maybe any citizen?) was always able to drag any carts that were left on their deed. At least this ability is one that I would like to see returned so that they could be dragged off deed.

Other advanced decay features on the mentioned items for *non-premium* characters not logged in for 45+ days would seem reasonable as well.

=Ayes=

I'm waiting for the day that all unlocked vehicles have finally decayed away. Lets not add more to the world by having locks decay.

For Carts/wagons, once the horses have died you can push them off deed. For moored boats you will have to put in a support ticket for a GM to move them.

Well none of the suggestions are mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned, anything to reduce the number of unused vehicles on freedom in some way is a huge win, whatever the way to do so might be.
I'm not sure how the GM team feels about it, but personally it feels like something that should be handled by game mechanics within a reasonable time frame, instead of making the GMs perform parking lot duties.

Could the people posting "-1", develop a little further? It would be nice to get a feel for what people dislike about this. I find it hard to believe that everyone just enjoys the clutter of vehicles everywhere that they can't interact with.

35 minutes ago, Noevi said:

Could the people posting "-1", develop a little further? It would be nice to get a feel for what people dislike about this. I find it hard to believe that everyone just enjoys the clutter of vehicles everywhere that they can't interact with.

i couldn't agree with you more on this.  This is in my opinion the laziest of responses that should in fact be ignored.

However I believe I have come up with a solution that would be worthwhile.  Why not make it so that a Cart, Ship or Wagon that is not used in 14, 15, 28 or 30 days is eligible for the "additional damage ticks".   This would make it so that any litter premium or non-premium would "clean up" faster.  

Additionally I believe that there should be a "mooring rule" attached to deed permissions.  This would allow mayors to exclude people from mooring only in that villages lands and waters.  (i mean if i pay for control over the area in water this is really the only right you can have)

Lastly I would like to request the "right of salvage"; 

Similar to the rules recently added in regards to lamps & BSB's.   When a ship has quality < 10% AND Damage is >50%.  Then a premium player can attempt to pick the lock.  When this lock has been picked the boat is "open to all".  The salvager must then "claim" the ship with a new lock, repair all damage, then improve it above 25%.  At which point the ship and all management titles will change to the new owner.  If these conditions are not met prior to the next applicable damage tick.  Then the process starts over.

• Like 1

While I do not want the salvage rule to come back in any form.  I do know it is tough to sit and watch boats.  I still think that even a month is too short a time for the upgraded decay to kick in.  Maybe 6 months or so but it shouldn't matter if the character is prem or non prem or on another server.  Those should all keep the upgraded decay hits from happening. 

Because I know the GM's will move the boats off your deed (and I have heard of some moving them out of your perimeter if you are actively building there) I don't see alot of reason behind this other than someone wanting a free boat.  So I am still against this.

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

While I do not want the salvage rule to come back in any form.  I do know it is tough to sit and watch boats.  I still think that even a month is too short a time for the upgraded decay to kick in.  Maybe 6 months or so but it shouldn't matter if the character is prem or non prem or on another server.  Those should all keep the upgraded decay hits from happening. 

Because I know the GM's will move the boats off your deed (and I have heard of some moving them out of your perimeter if you are actively building there) I don't see alot of reason behind this other than someone wanting a free boat.  So I am still against this.

While you may say "i just want a free boat", I see this as "It's a terrible waste of someone's time and effort".  This doesn't even begin to account for the materials that tend to Rot away on-board while the boat still isn't accessible.   Salvage should be possible; and if I take something that is "abandoned" clean it up, repair it, and maintain it.   Isn't that my "reward"?    By your train of thinking, nobody should ever be able to take someone else's things.  They should just be required to "rot away".  

How do you feel about people who go into an abandon deed and collect what's left behind?  Or enter and clean out houses that have had a wall rot away?  Should this to be stopped Pashka?

Personally I don't care for free boats, I just care about the land not being littered, whatever other agenda people might have I do not know. Although I would probably still say that if we can't get them zapped its still better if people can use them.

There are a number of ways to ensure that useful vehicles don't get effected, I was told of some people using wagons for storage, although its perhaps not their intended purpose and might point to lacks in other areas, it is still using the item for something, and those vehicles should not be decaying. I'm talking about those things that are on our deed, where nobody really knows who the owners are, cause they haven't been seen for ages.

I vaguely remember there being talk about land reverting back to its original state over time, to make land more reusable, I think that's a great idea however, if it reverts while still having a bunch of wagons, boats, carts etc all over the place its not doing as much good.

4 minutes ago, Tallios said:

While you may say "i just want a free boat", I see this as "It's a terrible waste of someone's time and effort".  This doesn't even begin to account for the materials that tend to Rot away on-board while the boat still isn't accessible.   Salvage should be possible; and if I take something that is "abandoned" clean it up, repair it, and maintain it.   Isn't that my "reward"?    By your train of thinking, nobody should ever be able to take someone else's things.  They should just be required to "rot away".  

How do you feel about people who go into an abandon deed and collect what's left behind?  Or enter and clean out houses that have had a wall rot away?  Should this to be stopped Pashka?

Personally I think that whatever you don't stick around to protect wasn't important enough in the first place, but I can understand that others feel differently, and most of these issues have a natural, simple solution on the pvp servers.

1 minute ago, Noevi said:

Personally I think that whatever you don't stick around to protect wasn't important enough in the first place, but I can understand that others feel differently, and most of these issues have a natural, simple solution on the pvp servers.

I'm just thinking if we need to have the debate about "absolute protection at all times" hey, let's get talking.  Otherwise I don't see an issue with having strictly controlled methods by which people can salvage legitimately abandoned goods and properties.  If we are going "absolute protection"  fine, i personally don't care. (but then we might need to discuss decay for premiums at all).  But if there is a chance to lose things, I don't see it as unreasonable for someone to prior to the moment of destruction come in and say "Hey, I'll take care of this."

If people get butt hurt over the fact that they can't abandon the game for a year and come back with everything in tact without making provisions for it.  Then they need to be ignored.  Just my opinion.

Can I just turn this upside down? I had few wagons, but someone deeded over them, built a house, fence, etc. I still know about few of my carts being deeded over as well. So if someone wanted the land badly enough to do that, they can accept the fact having my 50-70ql carts on their deeds for 5 years. I am not bothered about spending 10-15 minutes building new ones, rather than waiting for the deed owner and begging if he would be so kind to bring them to me.

1 minute ago, bangzuvelis said:

Can I just turn this upside down? I had few wagons, but someone deeded over them, built a house, fence, etc. I still know about few of my carts being deeded over as well. So if someone wanted the land badly enough to do that, they can accept the fact having my 50-70ql carts on their deeds for 5 years. I am not bothered about spending 10-15 minutes building new ones, rather than waiting for the deed owner and begging if he would be so kind to bring them to me.

This suggestion is about abandoned vehicles, not vehicles that you still cared about. The main concern is trying to distinguish what "abandoned" should mean.
Also, parking vehicles for an extended amount of time in a non-deeded area is probably something that should be discouraged in some sense.

You also mentioned that you aren't bothered to make new ones, so them being destroyed somehow would not matter much, there is probably a reason we never have this problem with rare wagons or carts.

2 minutes ago, Noevi said:

This suggestion is about abandoned vehicles, not vehicles that you still cared about. The main concern is trying to distinguish what "abandoned" should mean.
Also, parking vehicles for an extended amount of time in a non-deeded area is probably something that should be discouraged in some sense.

You also mentioned that you aren't bothered to make new ones, so them being destroyed somehow would not matter much, there is probably a reason we never have this problem with rare wagons or carts.

Its like this: If I have made something and you suddenly decided that my something stands in the place you want for only for yourself known reason, then by me accepting the loss of that item, you accept the fact of worshiping my item. 

5 minutes ago, bangzuvelis said:

I'm sorry this doesn't really make any sense to me.  Do you want the carts back?  that's easily accomplished with asking a GM to bring the cart outside of their deed area if it's locked.  If you leave them open to public use that's cool and why I left the caveat in my suggestion that USE or lack of use would determine the damage the item takes.   Lastly, if you have effectively given the carts to others, but not actually transferred the "ownership".  What would it matter if they took control?

could you elaborate your statement a little more?

9 minutes ago, Tallios said:

I'm just thinking if we need to have the debate about "absolute protection at all times" hey, let's get talking.  Otherwise I don't see an issue with having strictly controlled methods by which people can salvage legitimately abandoned goods and properties.  If we are going "absolute protection"  fine, i personally don't care. (but then we might need to discuss decay for premiums at all).  But if there is a chance to lose things, I don't see it as unreasonable for someone to prior to the moment of destruction come in and say "Hey, I'll take care of this."

If people get butt hurt over the fact that they can't abandon the game for a year and come back with everything in tact without making provisions for it.  Then they need to be ignored.  Just my opinion.

I agree, but I decided to take less strict stance for the purpose of mainly targeting vehicles that are in the way of new players trying to find an area to deed.

I'm not even going to step into the let's take this to the ends of the earth discussion.  It is about boats and carts.  Period.  I do not have to agree with you and your statement about not wanting to see someone else's time/effort going to waste says all it needs to,  You just want free boats/carts.  I was around for the salvage before.  I didn't think it was a nice time and I don't wish to return to it now. 

• Like 1