Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

Steam System for Rail for Future development

Now hear me out....

I've never been one to make wurm more modern than it is, but....We need new content, we need something that would attract more players and lets face it, it's not a far stretch to move to steam power. We have fire and forges, could you imagine wurm with new project and skills to enhance our gameplay to the next level.

We have bridges, imagine rail for travel and the project that could be started. Outsiders would see this and eat it up. I'm not talking full automation like minecraft, more the building of railway lines and something that you could travel on. Obviously, like carts and no collision multiple people could use the rail. Railways could be restricted to 20 slope or less, just like bridges.

Whats next for wurm? what can be developed that would attract more and also give us more things to work on? Also, something that not to far the vibe or wurm but still believable.

Thoughts?

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 1

Will never happen in many many years you might want to look into WU and moding it your self if you want any thing like this.

I'm not looking to mod at all. It's just a suggestion, food for thought. Wurm needs big development updates eg Multistorey, bridges and so on...I think it's would be an ambitious direction to go it, but it would open future developments as well. So many things may implemented with the use of steam.

For the love of god please let's not have steampunk invade Wurm. That's played-out everywhere else, and would be extremely out of place and technologically inappropriate in Wurm.

Christ, Wurm isn't even Renaissance-level technology, never mind the Industrial Revolution.

• Like 2

Steam =/= Steampunk

I think that, as the years pass in game, like in a real world, it wouldn't look so horrible to have new "inventions" and new content added, as long as it's  slow paced and not suddenly out of context (like it would be adding steam-trains straight right now)

I'm  not totally against it,  as longs as it doesn't sounds wrong, out of place or rushed, it could start with simple tracks without steam power, and slowly implement basic veichles, till maybe one day some rudimental steam power.

What role do rails serve that roads and bridges don't already serve?   Gotta -1 to the rail system.
Steam powered boats on the other hand, ones that can move at a decent speed even with no wind but require some sort of fuel to keep moving or it reverts to wind speed(And goes very slow even with good wind) would be nice.  And it does make sense that we could invent steam boats earlier on, being a civilaization spread out across several islands, water travel is very important, so the great inventors of our time would be trying to invent better methods of sea travel.  Land travel would be considered less important as our biggest island is only 32km and can travel most of the way inland by water anyway.

5 hours ago, Greyfox said:

What role do rails serve that roads and bridges don't already serve?   Gotta -1 to the rail system.
Steam powered boats on the other hand, ones that can move at a decent speed even with no wind but require some sort of fuel to keep moving or it reverts to wind speed(And goes very slow even with good wind) would be nice.  And it does make sense that we could invent steam boats earlier on, being a civilaization spread out across several islands, water travel is very important, so the great inventors of our time would be trying to invent better methods of sea travel.  Land travel would be considered less important as our biggest island is only 32km and can travel most of the way inland by water anyway.

I think they want faster land travel, which could be helped with better community work. 

But i definitely agree with you on the steam powered boats.  Logs would have to be processed into coal for fuel useage, boilers would have to be maintained at temp to keep up speed, and without it, you are basically a drifting barge.

-1 hell we can't brew beer and you want a steam train.