Sign in to follow this  
zethreal

Creature Spawn question

I had an issue where I spawned way too many creatures so I wiped the creature database and started off with a small number of 5,000. This was obviously not enough, so I increased it to 15,000 and restarted the server ( I did not wipe the database this time, expecting it to fill the server ). After a few days, the creature count was at about 7,000 so I bumped it up to 25,000. I have restarted the server so the changes would take effect, but after almost a week, it is still at just over 7,000 creatures.

How long does it take Wurm to start increasing creature counts after you make the change or do I have to do yet another wipe?

i think you need to update the db once its started, like on citidel servers i can change the config but it wont take effect till i update db

I thought I had. I just took the server down, did that & restarted it... the creature count is going up fairly quickly. Thanks!

Interesting... noticed we had it set at 10,000 creatures but had 7,000 as well. Trying to update DB.

On 24/04/2016 at 8:55 PM, Hippiedruid said:

Interesting... noticed we had it set at 10,000 creatures but had 7,000 as well. Trying to update DB.

I think there's a 'buffer' for breeding and possibly fog spiders, as you get closer to the max creature count, spawning seems to slow down.

I'm set at 25,000 and spawns jumped to about 18,000 but have slowed. It's plenty, but yeah, it doesn't spawn to "max". It definitely leaves about 25% of the max creatures "empty" for breeding/fog spiders & such.

Fog spiders need to disappear/die faster once fog disappears. They account for 30%+ of aggressive mobs on our server..... 39% right now. That really seems like a bug (or arachnid :P).

1 hour ago, Hippiedruid said:

Fog spiders need to disappear/die faster once fog disappears. They account for 30%+ of aggressive mobs on our server..... 39% right now. That really seems like a bug (or arachnid :P).

I would suggest checking out;

We noticed some odd behaviours over the last few months with creatures on our server, more obvious things like;

No wild forest spiders, bears etc... (do you only see these mobs near 'lairs'?).

No hell mobs such as hell hounds, hell scorps, hell horses.

Whilst suffering this bug, we also noticed our deed mines were constantly being invaded by rats and cave bugs, fog spiders would frequently appear in town during extremely fast (almost instant) fog  and make a bee-line for villagers. The fog would be over in less than 2 mins. Since we implemented the fix, the fog has been somewhat more 'stable' (rolls in nicely at a gradual rate), the fog spiders have calmed down a lot and our on-deed mines are quieter.

So I took up learning Java over the last week or so and started poking things and came up with a solution for my server, that may help you. You will need to clone and edit the class file in something like Intellij, the compile it and copy the edited file back into your server jar. Backup before you test it (or create another server for testing. I hold no responsibility if this blows up your server, I am after all, new to Java).

It seems this bug (if it's confirmed a bug) upset the 'balance' of spawns and spawn rates on the server, resulting in some mobs heavily overpopulating more than others (often non-aggressive) and some mobs just not spawning at all.

A bit of a warning, if you implement this and it works for you, if you have changed your creature aggressive % on your server settings in the last few months; you may want to put it to what you were previously using before you decided to ramp up the aggressive count. We ramped ours to 90% when we noticed aggressive's weren't spawning as expected.. forgot about it... implemented the fix recently... trolls everywhere, spiders, hell hounds galore, many deaths.

With WU updating this week(?), you wait it out another day or two to see if someone over at CodeClub notices/adds in a fix.

Edited by Drathania

I don't think its an issue with aggressive mob spawning. We have plenty of wild animals, hell animals, and the like. We also have plenty of the creature lair mobs spawning such as "greenish" and what have you. I'll drop some data here drawn directly from our db.

See imgur for full data: http://imgur.com/Z668ukg

Server is set to 25% aggressive creatures, and currently has 30% aggressive creatures, 70% passive creatures.

highest frequency aggressive creatures:

fog spiders 31%
black wolves 16%
mountain lion 9%
huge shark 9%
huge spider 6%
crocodile 3%

Fog spiders (988 of them) completely overshadow most other aggressive mobs. The spiders are way too frequent when you see 3-4 of them for every other aggressive mob you see.