Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Increase Winter (Slightly)

Winter Wonderland  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy winters in Wurm?

• Yes
    • No

A recent thread has brought up some interest in restoring balance to the seasons by increasing the number of days (weeks) of winter in the Wurm calendar year. 

I'm sure many won't like this proposition, but for those of us who really do enjoy the snowflake-filled skies and powder white terrain this suggestion would be quite nice:  please increase the number of days (weeks) of winter.  This thread exists to gauge the interest level of an increased winter to balance out the seasons a little more.  My own suggestion goes something like this:

Autumn - 9 weeks

Winter - 8 weeks

Spring - 9 weeks

Summer - 22 weeks

Discuss your ideas, and try to keep the insults to a minimum please. ;)

Edited by Slickshot

1 minute ago, Namekat said:

Switch winter and summer times around +1

I'm not quite that radical, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm for change. :)

+1
I'm in favor of more even seasons since there isn't any mechanical effect on crops and such.
Make seasons more meaningful with seasonal monsters with seasonal resources? Then even if you don't like the graphics there is something to hunt that's not normally available.

Example:
Winter: Yeti's with yeti fur for hats and rugs.
Spring: Flower/plant monsters that drop unique flowers or seedlings for potted flowers or trellises.

• Like 1

But I have a better idea.  Give players the option to select what season they see when they log in.  Sure, it's always chestnut season (or whatever) when it is supposed to be, but the seasonal appearance is set by the players.

• Like 1

Leave it as is or shorten winter (im happy to remove completely) unless there is some dramatic changes to tile graphics to see differences in types

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Leave it as is or shorten winter (im happy to remove completely) unless there is some dramatic changes to tile graphics to see differences in types

It's already been gimped too much.

This is what I have to say on this whole thing (civilly).

I think Slickshot has a good and valid suggestion here but I think that 8 weeks is a bit to long. Most of the people playing Wurm would rather have it just be gone totally. However, I think that we should "balance it out" just a bit giving everyone what they want. I think that instead of 8 weeks maybe like 5 or 6 weeks? It gives the people that want winter to be longer what they want and balancing out the people that hate winter by not making it extraneously long. 

Some other things that I think would make winter less annoying it to maybe make flowers/grass on the tiles still show through (like a light snowing so it doesn't cover everything up). One of the main gripes about winter as well is how difficult it is to navigate with the snow making the roads look to much like the grass. So maybe do something to combat this? Like make the road tiles a bit more darker in winter. I know I personally have gotten lost a bunch of times while traveling in the winter. 

However much I want winter to be gone for good I don't think that would beneficial to the community. Just do some things to the environment so that it isn't so harsh looking. 

+1 I personally love winter and feel like it is pretty short. I enjoy the change it brings! I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me though :P

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

This is what I have to say on this whole thing (civilly).

I think Slickshot has a good and valid suggestion here but I think that 8 weeks is a bit to long. Most of the people playing Wurm would rather have it just be gone totally. However, I think that we should "balance it out" just a bit giving everyone what they want. I think that instead of 8 weeks maybe like 5 or 6 weeks? It gives the people that want winter to be longer what they want and balancing out the people that hate winter by not making it extraneously long. 

Some other things that I think would make winter less annoying it to maybe make flowers/grass on the tiles still show through (like a light snowing so it doesn't cover everything up). One of the main gripes about winter as well is how difficult it is to navigate with the snow making the roads look to much like the grass. So maybe do something to combat this? Like make the road tiles a bit more darker in winter. I know I personally have gotten lost a bunch of times while traveling in the winter. 

However much I want winter to be gone for good I don't think that would beneficial to the community. Just do some things to the environment so that it isn't so harsh looking. 

I believe it is already at 5 weeks and is heavily under balanced as that.  This is why I suggested bumping it to 8, but leaving it as the minority still.

I love Wurm's winter, but it sure could be less blinding and use some features except just the graphical changes.

Speaking about its length, +1 definitely.

winter is too long as it is, a few hours would be fine

make the night shorter too, wurm is too nice to be in the dark 1/2 the time you play

Even seasons and an improvement to the winter graphics is my vote! Less of a whiteout look on roads, a more snowdrifty look on grass/trees/crops. 

Edited by NeeNee

16 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

Even seasons and an improvement to the winter graphics is my vote! Less of a whiteout look on roads, a more snowdrifty look on grass/trees/crops. 

Like the snowdrifty look on floorboards :D

• Like 1

-1 snow blindness is bad. But if they softened the graphics I'd be more inclined to say yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slickshot said:

I believe it is already at 5 weeks and is heavily under balanced as that.  This is why I suggested bumping it to 8, but leaving it as the minority still.

Ah I was not aware that it was at 5 weeks (I was thinking rl time not wurm time) If it is Wurm time then I think 8 weeks would be just fine. Not to overpowered but just enough for people to reap the benefits. Now that I know that it is Wurm time I will definitely +1 this to be 8 weeks. It will give me time to get to love Wurm winters  

48 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Like the snowdrifty look on floorboards :D

As for the graphical changes I think this would be great to put on the other rods as well. It would get ride of my biggest gripe with winter. Good one there Slick :)

-1, lets get rid of the winter altogether and add those 8 weeks to the spring (my favourite season)

I'm against ANY changes to winter till they can fix having snow on paved roads.

I also think a good suggestion wold be to make it possible that we can shovel snow off the roads (not grass as it would just ruin the reasoning behind winter). When the roads are "plowed" give us the snow that we can melt down into water. 

• Like 1

I hate the winters and probably wouldn't play during them if I didn't have animals to feed, but I wish people could choose their seasons so people who like it could have it

1. Adjust some of the winter tile graphics so they aren't so difficult to distinguish visually.
  2. Increase length of winter.

In that order, please.

• Like 1