Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Raph Koster - Lead game designer of Ultima Online coming to Finland

I know a lot of you are old Ultima Online players, so may I just share my excitement in getting to soon meet Raph Koster who was the lead designer of the original version of Ultima Online (+ Second Age which was when I started to play). Rarely do we see game development "super stars" visit the far reaches of Nordic countries like Finland, but in a couple of weeks he'll be here and I'll be able to finally express my appreciation for what a great game UO was. For those who have never heard of Ultima Online, just know that UO was pretty obviously a big inspiration for Wurm Online as well. I can't know that as a fact of course unless Rolf has expressed this in an interview somewhere, but it would be highly strange if it was not!

If you happen to live in Finland and were a mega UO fan back in the day, you might be interested in the event as well:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/evening-with-raph-koster-next-games-tickets-24458039655

• Like 2

I dont give a funk 'bout Ralph but im coming to meet you :)

just kidding

• Like 1

I have played several of his games.  One hell of a creator.  If I'm not mistaken he was behind the original crafting system in Star Wars Galaxies.

Who wouldn't wanna come to Finland to meet Malena? :D 

Have fun on the event, Malena!

D'awww!

Thanks Cecci :)

And Pashka yeah from what I can tell I think he was the creative director as well. Personally I missed out on the SWG experience but my friends at the time were super addicted to the crafting system! One of my eternal regrets that I didn't play SWG back then, I think I was totally enthralled with Anarchy Online or DaoC at the time.

• Like 1

Iirc Rolf mentioned he never played Ultima Online when the question arose... or that was Notch.

4 hours ago, Klaa said:

Iirc Rolf mentioned he never played Ultima Online when the question arose... or that was Notch.

Oh I see, I wonder about the other of the duo then.

On 4/15/2016 at 5:28 PM, Malena said:

D'awww!

Thanks Cecci :)

And Pashka yeah from what I can tell I think he was the creative director as well. Personally I missed out on the SWG experience but my friends at the time were super addicted to the crafting system! One of my eternal regrets that I didn't play SWG back then, I think I was totally enthralled with Anarchy Online or DaoC at the time.

I too missed out on SWG by playing AO instead.

Still a great game, but forever feel like I missed something great.

SWG (in the beginning) had the best crafting system I have ever played.  I have looked for something similar since.  One day......