Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

Why shouldn't a main be a priest?

Priests are sold and bought. I understand. I also understand that becoming a follower carries with it some negative restrictions. 

Either way, though - are there no priests out there that are not alts? 

I guess it just depends on your play style. For me, I switch mains like when I am super busy IRL, I switch to my priests as a main for sometime because I usually just prem and play one account at a time. I usually just spam praying or channeling at that time. When I have more free time, I switch to my crafter toon and play with it for a few months and so on.I can't handle 2 toons simultaneously, so kudos for those who can play 5+ toons! 

• Like 1

My main is Vyn, and the friend I play with most is Fo, his main.

We do a lot of stuff breeding animals. I have a handyman alt for repairs and building. Mostly we fight, keep creatures, farm to feed them, and I decorate. He fishes sometimes. We ride around and look at what people have created. We help newbies when they let us.

• Like 1

People say their "main" is a priest, but it doesn't really matter because they also have a non-priest account, even if they call it their "alt".  They have that alt because of the restrictions, and those restrictions are necessary to prevent every single account from being a priest.

With the right skill set, they're very handy to have.  My priest cannot help my non-priest build a house, for example, but she can chip bricks or make mortar faster than my main can use them, so in my mind she can.  The main reason people have them is to be able to enchant their own tools/weapons/armor.

• Like 2

I knew a Fo main.  She needed others to do stuff for her she was not allowed, but traded with enchants as payment.  Someone else I know of is a Vyn main.  I could not have a priest as my main as I love building and imping things, and even as a normal Wurmian I grumble when "Vynora does not accept that action" of something I just want to get done.  Priests seem to rely on others for things, which is fine, but in the same manner normal Wurmians rely on priests for things they cannot do themselves.  It depends on playstyle and what you enjoy doing.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

In HotS we had someone who priested their main so they didn't need to do any work.

The bad thing about making your main a priest is the unnecessary characteristics nerf, or else I would currently be a priest on my main and just deal with certain restrictions, while I focus on what I can do.
If you also think that the nerfed characteristics gain is silly, you should take a look for that thread and you too can contribute your input.

I have one crafter main and a priest main.

The crafter main has better stats and skills of course but the priest aint bad either.

3 hours ago, Shakatra said:

Priests are sold and bought. I understand. I also understand that becoming a follower carries with it some negative restrictions. 

Either way, though - are there no priests out there that are not alts? 

1. Being a follower does not come with restrictions.
  2. Priests are usually alts because priests have virtually no chance of being self-sufficient, as they cannot improve items, create complex items (anything requiring a "continue" button), build structures, or do a few other things depending on which god they belong to. Therefore, the priest necessarily becomes a special-use character and is thus more suited to being an alt.

12 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Priests are usually alts because priests have virtually no chance of being self-sufficient, as they cannot improve items, create complex items (anything requiring a "continue" button), build structures, or do a few other things depending on which god they belong to. Therefore, the priest necessarily becomes a special-use character and is thus more suited to being an alt.

Now that I have the stuff I need (house, fences, weapons, armour, etc.) my priest is mostly self-sufficient. I can cast Mend on many things, and get most of the things I need. And, we can cast Heal and Locate .... spells which are very helpful. It's not so bad. It does pretty much suck though that gains are lowered.

everyone that does this is wrong

it's ###### Wurm, you can do what you want

I was a priest 4 times and i've only ever played one account, when you get bored switch from being a priest/non priest/in pvp a good battle priest like vynora

• Like 2

When I still had accounts of value, my main was a vyn priest and my alt was the crafter. My alt became the fighter, so people knew my alt as my main.

I think if you allowed everyone to priest using mains and took away all the restrictions of being a priest, it would just be more difficult to sell enchants for a reasonable amount.

I agree I would like to see some of the restrictions changed in the future possibly, (allow continuing buildings for example). Nothing else need to be changed though.

The best hybrid priest is probably Nahjo because of some of the freedom it allows imho.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

I don't think the "everyone would be a priest" issue would be an issue if there were viable alternatives that filled up the "priest slot" in our characters. To me "choose between these several options" is a positive choice, while "do this or nothing" is annoying.

Being able to choose between "priest", "monk", "shaman" "wiseman/woman" etc. with a variety of trade offs, strengths and weaknesses between them would effectively kill the issue of "everyone a priest" as long as they were balanced reasonably. Making player gods have domain over these new choices would also go a way to fixing the "dilution" of god identity that has happened.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

There's really nothing keeping one from having their "main" as a priest. Depends on what a player likes to do.

Well unless you need to do any crafting, so need a alt or a very active large village.

If you are really into farming, breeding, and the like... a priest has no problems there.

On 3/25/2016 at 9:30 PM, Fairyshine said:

Someone else I know of is a Vyn main.

Heyoooo

Vyn main. No "handyman" alt; I've gotten all I need from villagers, alliance and - if worst comes to worst - trading.

I remember once having to trade for healing covers because I didn't yet have LT and Vyn priests can't make healing covers.

• Like 1

My main is a priest, sometimes.

The only thing you lose is faith/favour and even without sermons it doesn't take that long to get back over 50 and have primary casts available again.

The nicest thing about the second/third/whatever time you priest is that all that channelling you previously gained is available immediately and you start with much stronger casts (and less shattering) than your first time round.

I went priest a few times, I found it boring since I couldn't craft anything.

I know a couple of people who are priests on their mains.

Maining a priest without an alt means you cannot be self sufficient.  You will not be able to survive alone without help so a lot of folk avoid it.

Since "useful" magic on PvE tends to have a very narrow use a lot of priests find themselves asking more than they give which leaves a sour taste in their mouths.

Personally I still main a priest and just use a free alt to do all my chores as and when they need doing, but I have been arguing for years for them to reduce the restrictions on priests to at least give them access to the same content as a free alt (effective skillcap 20 on all things they cannot to).