Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Cave dwelling testing!

.hotmk.png

The Hall of the Mountain King awaits!

To get to the testing ground, there is a sign next to the incredibly pink building, simply examine it to teleport to the testing area.

From there all materials are provided, we have carts, bricks, planks, mortar, nails and support beams. Examine the sign next to the cave to get a lantern and tar is in the bsb.

sign.png

To plan a building in a cave, activate a trowel and right click a reinforced flat floor tile, and select plan building as you would above ground. Only plain stone buildings can be built, and roofing is not possible, simply floors

trowels, mallets, pickaxes can be spawned by activating an item and right clicking the ground, selecting "test" and choosing to spawn the basic tools

We're looking at testing some simple things today, so use your imagination on what can be tested. Try not to go too huge on buildings though, we dont need to test whether 80 carp can plan a huge building

• Reinforcing floors
  • planning on flat ground vs sloped ground
  • planning one tile on reinforced and expanding to a non reinforced floor.
  • mining inside a building
  • mining the roof while in a building
  • building up past the roof

there will be limited testing on collapsing tiles, dont ruin my cavern!

Currently available on testing for requests, if you need anything grab me on IRC or ask in GL chat on the test server

Once you've finished testing, please use this form to record your experience

http://goo.gl/forms/9swelejVtq

If you encounter any bugs, please list them here!

talked about some of this with you already. Going to post it here so you have a nice catalog with screenshots :P

Colapsing around the structure, using strongwall, works.

662wkVm.png

Colapsing using strongwall IN the structure works. Possible fix is to not allow strong wall to be cast on reinforced flooring. Make reinforced flooring need to be "disentigrated" first. Disentigrate could be set to be blocked by the strucure just as mining is.

qM4CnLC.png

Bugs associated with colapsing in a structure

Spoiler

Strong wall can be casted inside another persons building that you do not have permissions on.

Strong wall can be casted with some one on the floor above the tile you are casting on.

Colapsing inside a structure, using strongwall, causes the reinforcement to be removed from the floor of the structure when mined out. This does not seem to change any mechanics to prevent mining the floor. BUT stops any new building actions for floor or roof for that tile.

Colapsing everytile on the house and around the house causes it to sink to a little below water level when remined.

http://i.imgur.com/YUhCagu.png

http://i.imgur.com/VXQBTht.png

http://i.imgur.com/4YYTxqt.png

http://i.imgur.com/whl6KIv.png

http://i.imgur.com/dV5QlxL.png

[00:18:32] <Nicrolis> "add to building" allows you to expand into the ceiling, but you cant plan a ladder or stairs up until you raise the ceiling

[00:25:01] <Nicrolis> can walk along the walls to get into the ceiling from expanded rooms.

Seems to create "walls" on second floor so you cant pass. Walls do not exist once you are in the ceiling though. once in the ceiling you can build a floor.

Xk7n5Pr.png

3YHAe2X.png

tcLyqnd.png

• Like 4

Nic, drop images in 'spoiler' window next time. Hate too much scrolling :P

As for what was needed for testing, I have done most of that. But it doesnt mean the conditions wont be different for some one else

• Reinforcing floors works fine, can even reinforce in a building if some how the reinforcement wasnt there.
  • planning on flat ground vs sloped ground i tried varying slopes and was only able to plan on flat. would get the message that it wasnt flat enough otherwise.
  • planning one tile on reinforced and expanding to a non reinforced floor. Expansion works well, it will only expand to reinforced floors. you do not get the options when trying to expand to a non reinforced flor. minor clipping issues with the roof but only in special cases involving the use of cement. *
  • mining inside a building was properly blocked on all corners of the building and center tiles.
  • mining the roof while in a building had to "raise the roof" to make the building taller. Works really well. after making the next floor you can climb up and mine higher to make the next floor
  • building up past the roof This is blocked with a message along the lines of "the ceiling isnt high enough" *

*The only excetions to this is the clipping into the ceiling when using cement to raise a lowered floor to the point where you get the message "the ceiling is too close". from there its possible to plan or expand and by walking along the walls of the floors below, you can go above into the ceiling. This just lets you look around and does not allow planing above that point. you can make a floor but can not make walls.

i had so much fun the server crashed. 10/10, will test again!

You got disconnected from the server for some reason: <The server shut down: Reason: Quick restart. Strongwall fix.>

Plox Come back - I'm not done testing!

----

• Reinforcing floors - works fine
  • planning on flat ground vs sloped ground - doesn't work... so work as intended.
  • planning one tile on reinforced and expanding to a non reinforced floor. - impossible to expand on non reinforced floor.
  • mining inside a building - [12:59:48] You cannot remove the reinforcement inside cave dwellings.
  • mining the roof while in a building - works fine
  • building up past the roof

--- Random testing ---

• [13:42:54] The floor is in the way. - bugged on upper levels - Server doesn't seems to understand the concept of different floors - stacking ladders on top of each others work for now.
  • [14:56:28] You start to haul the canopy bed. - teleported to the surface instead of the 1st floor fixed
  • [13:11:45] You start to go to sleep. - cave dwellers rejoice, that old dream is now possible
  • Knee Deep in the flour(floor) again
Spoiler

kKIObef.jpg

• Trying to cheat on the reinforcement doesn't work - Having the add to building option while someone remove the reinforcement will lead to : [15:39:38] You cannot build here, you need to reinforce the floor first.
  • Fences built in the building disappeared on the last server restart

Nota - Pity we can't build next to cave walls... some awesome designs ideas goes to the trash bin then. Allow it on deed settings / reworks of reinforcment out deed if needed please.

No bridges possible / no tiles border, prevent some creativity here again. ./me want curbs inside my mines walkways.

Edited by Odynn
moar data - typo fixing
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Odynn said:

i had so much fun the server crash. 10/10, will test again!

Thats because your testing was so intense it couldnt handle it :)

not tested it here yet, but could build next to the corner of a wall on Unlimited. Did you try parallel to an existing wall?

Will jump onto test server withing a few hors and see it myself anyway...

[14:58:28] You cannot build a building next to another building. Seems like we do need the 1 tile space between each buildings on test, even with diagonals.

• Like 1

started test and downloaded the new jar file, but I do not get a option to play from the launcher

Built 2x2 house ground floor,  one ladders and 3 floors for second floor. If you build next ladders for  higher floor above one on ground  floor, it works.

However, if you plan it on some other tile, not above  opening,  you can add it to crafting window or build it only from adjacent tile, but after finishing it, you can not climb it, getting msg :[16:24:12] The floor is in the way.

If you get to next floor  from other staircase/ladders, on that 'bugged' opening , you can not plan walls on each borders of that tile, getting same msg as above.

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

started test and downloaded the new jar file, but I do not get a option to play from the launcher

on top of launcher  in a middle is 'PLAY'

just throwing that here, since we are going to have new options for caves, maybe lowering the ceiling with concrete / having different type of reinforcement (beams - natural at least) would be great.

thanks for everyone who has jumped on so far, it's been great!

Its past my bedtime so I need to head off, if you need support, jump on IRC and a Gm should be able to help!

Be sure to fill out the survey for your chance to win some sleep powder or the silver pickaxe!

Will update as I find bugs.

Spoiler

Spiral Staircases issues:

-Not related to caves but you cannot plan a wall on the stone wall side once a spiral is down. There is no tile border. Unless I'm blind I don't see it.

-Walking off and onto the wall under it got my stuck and I had to /suicide.

kKh3sqr.jpg

----

-Unable to Plan a wall getting error. (this might of been reported already, sometimes moving to another tile and planning helps - seems to fix it.)

[12:05:59] The floor is in the way. 

inPXoil.jpg

-----

Edited by Niki

I9B3nt7.jpg

it might be seen as a bug, unintended feature, or whatever... but strongwalling next to buildings is awesome.

You can't cast strongwall inside a building : [16:51:48] The structure gets in the way. (working as intended).

But you can surround your buildings with sweet pillars of rock for that dwarven setting, just imagine a lower vaulted ceiling in that picture just above that nice lil dwelling, perfect to rest after mining a few tons of gold.

Plox, do not remove it (or allow it on deed) and allow us to build next to cave walls(on deed too if needed)!

Edited by Odynn
typos
  • Like 3

you can still plan walls alongside a spiral staircase, all you need to do is walk onto the top of the wall and then you will have the option for selecting build on the tile border

Encountered a strange bug, I was combining shards on the top of the building as I mined out ceilings so I would not end up with 100 shards in a pile and a friend came along and started to help me mine, after a bit we ran out of room for shards, I opened the pile and all the ones I combined had reverted back to single shards. This happened on the 6th floor.

All seems to be working fine so far .

Floor inway seems to have lower solid floor thinking its above you insted while climbing ladder..

Would Need Tich or Retrograde on to test ceiling build limit , mining upwards and building in shaft.

Would be nice to go outside and open drop shaft above building spot , see if you can build to ground lvl outside.

Need to try and find water spot inside and build well indoors if possible , in a court yard would be.

But to date nice work ! :)

I had a bug with building floors and openings in the second story of my test house. The buildings name is "kegan's villa" and the three unfinished floors on the second story are the ones that are bugged. I also listed this on my survey thing. 

Would be fun if standing on top a floor I could flatten "up" the neighbouring ceiling - ie not only the corners of the current tile I'm standing on but the next ones too.

Tried to bug out to mine up only 1-2-3 corners of a tile to allow building a higher level - no success, had to mine up all 4 corners.

Very nice thing so far :D

• Like 1

Strongwall fix: should not be able to strongwall (or orb) a tile next to a building.

still looking for the floor bug.

• Like 1

Can we build houses on the surface above another structure in the mine?

Can the surface be deeded if there is a structure already underground?

• Like 2

Jaz put some good questions here.

There is also question  is it possible to  plan building in cave if tile is  under token.

We know that if house is build on surface you get 'this is within structure of "house name" ' (or something like that) on examining cave floor . Will same happen on examining surface tile with house built  underground?

Maybe test area should  have access to  ground above  cave .

Edited by MarkSilard

33 minutes ago, Tich said:

Strongwall fix: should not be able to strongwall (or orb) a tile next to a building.

so many dreams shattered :(

• Like 2