Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Possible ninja update? - cave tiles collapsing

I thought maybe it was just me, until my friend asked me if something changed.  I could swear that I'm getting 3x (merely a guess) the cave in rates as normal.  Anyone else noticing this?

• Like 1

I am mining the cave entrance every two days... The rate of entrance collapse seems insane... And that is on deed that is

• Like 1

Nothing has been changed regarding cave tile collapses, it may just be unfortunate luck, make sure to reinforce walls to reduce cave in chances!

I don't think so retro, never a single collapse in my mines, then one day boom I noticed a wagon and about 20 small carts and assorted crap gone under a pile of rock in one small spot I didn't reinforce, along with my entrance for the boat mine. This was about 6 weeks ago, and now I am noticing it all over the place, I am sure the rate has been tweaked on the sly.

2 entrances in a nearby cave that I frequent for iron that have been open since I got back caved in on the same day. I didn't think anything of it. Not hard to make a new one though.

I had few collapsed tiles past 2 months, but i'm ok with them. Two collapsed into iron ( one good other utmost vein) and yesterday one  tile collapsed into very good zinc   :)

• Like 1

WU's update yesterday didn't change anything re. collapsing (unless i missed it ;) )

(also nothing else to report, out of the things that would be interesting and not in the update notes)

Edited by asdf
  • Like 1

i found if you are just closing the server you are using and not shutting it down correctly you will find the tile is not saving 

Heard also that some cave entrances are collapsing now very often.

I don't see any difference in collapses. I have a lot of not reinforced tunnels and it is quite the same rate for me to collapse as always. My data from Xanadu, Deli and Pristine in the last 1-2 weeks, all the same.

Not seeing an increase per se (I don't think), at least I'm not *noticing* an increase.  A travel tunnel near my deed (off deed) has 5 or 6 tiles collapse per week though, which I think is a bit excessive if that's how it's supposed to be.

I did run across an odd occurrence just recently though.  A tile collapsed next to a reinforced wall in a double wide, fully reinforced tunnel (on deed).  When I mined off the collapse, there was my reinforced wall, still there.  Thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

Edited by Amadee

9 hours ago, Amadee said:

When I mined off the collapse, there was my reinforced wall, still there.  Thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

tile data saves the state, no matter if a vein (and the amount of ore left) or a support.

3 hours ago, KaiH said:

tile data saves the state, no matter if a vein (and the amount of ore left) or a support.

Right, but I thought it wasn't supposed to collapse at all if it's reinforced on deed.  I mentioned that it was still there just to show that it was indeed a (still) reinforced tile, and not a forgotton, unreinforced, and that the reinforcement hadn't somehow been removed prior to the collapse.  No-one could have removed it anyway, just saying.   :)   

supported floors and tiles only reduce the risk, they dont make cave-ins impossible

16 minutes ago, KaiH said:

supported floors and tiles only reduce the risk, they dont make cave-ins impossible

Ahh. Never knew that.  I thought they were safe.  [booo. hisss]  Learn something new every day.  :)

• Like 1

The thing I find about collapses is that when you don't wan them, they are sure to happen. I had to excavate the entrance to my mine 3 times now. I finally reinforced it. Nobody says I don't learn quick lessons! :)

On the other hand, I have been waiting for a mine entrance to collapse near my deed for months now. Of course, I WANT that one to collapse, so it won't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KaiH said:

What, reinforcement of walls and floors will not prevent a collapse from happening?

9 hours ago, Valdor said:

The thing I find about collapses is that when you don't wan them, they are sure to happen. I had to excavate the entrance to my mine 3 times now. I finally reinforced it. Nobody says I don't learn quick lessons! :)

On the other hand, I have been waiting for a mine entrance to collapse near my deed for months now. Of course, I WANT that one to collapse, so it won't.

Put a rare lamp on the tile. That'll do the trick :P

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

What, reinforcement of walls and floors will not prevent a collapse from happening?

not by 100%, the chance for a cave-in is just way lower.

how much lower exactly i don't know, maybe a WU-code savy person can answer that.

This would be a bit problematic for those who have secured there mine's with reinforcements all over the place and thought there precious would be safe from complete destruction of falling rock.

I've looked at WU code for collapsing mines...

For tunnel exits:

• Exits have a 1/60 chance to collapse
  • Exits that have a mine door should never collapse
  • Exits next to any veins or reinforced walls or floors should ever collapse

For normal tiles:

• Only tiles directly next to at least 1 unreinforced cave wall can collapse (0.2% chance) 
  • Reinforced cave floors reduce that chance significantly (0.2% on top of that)

There is what looks to me like a bug in the code which makes a good chunk of it do nothing. That chunk would make tiles that are in the middle of a 3x3 of unreinforced floors have a 0.5% chance to collapse.

Note that this is not necessarily the version that's on WO servers and i'm not 100% sure i fully understand everything (the code is somewhat convoluted), so take this with a grain of salt.

Edit: I present to you... rolfcode!

if (decay && Server.rand.nextFloat() <= 0.005f) {
    decay = true;
}

:unsure:

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

so am I reading Bdew right?  If all is reinforced, there is no chance of collapse?

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

so am I reading Bdew right?  If all is reinforced, there is no chance of collapse?

That's how i'm interpreting it, at least in current WU code and assuming i'm not missing something.

• Like 1

Then something is wonky in WO.  The recent collapse I had next to a reinforced wall was not near any unreinforced walls.  It is a double wide tunnel with reinforced walls.  The floor is not reinforced though.  Do we now have to reinforce the floors maybe?

Hmmm... recently had a cave in on an undeeded cave entrance. Reopened it, and it collapsed again now after about a week. We have reopened it - let's see how long it lasts.