Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

The recent client update performance

The latest graphics update - performance  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Did the update to the client graphics (about 2 weeks ago) make your PC/Laptop run hotter/louder and introduce a lot more lag in populated areas or around lots of lighting?

• Yes
    • No

Just want to get a sense for what people are noticing since that last big client graphics update.  Personally, my laptop now sounds like a hair dryer, unless I run on very low settings and only 1-2 clients at a time.  CPU, RAM and GPU are ALL working much harder for me.  Mostly the GPU though.  I used to be able to load up to 30 clients on one machine.  Now if I load 10, my laptop will lock up.  At 4-6 clients, it is pushing very hard.  Just one client on good quality settings will make it run loud.

What is your experience since the update?  Let's let Code Club know and maybe they can use the feedback and modify the update to run more efficiently?

Did you notice the shift from cpu to gpu usage?

I run a pretty hefty workstation but I have noticed my gpu(s) usage went up as well as the heat. I have not seen any difference in lag or performance. But I do not run 10 clients, most I have done was 8 and only when doing sermon groups. I normally run 3-4 and have not seen any difference other then my gpu working harder but it seems my cpu is being hit less.

2 minutes ago, Saicotic said:

Did you notice the shift from cpu to gpu usage?

I run a pretty hefty workstation but I have noticed my gpu(s) usage went up as well as the heat. I have not seen any difference in lag or performance. But I do not run 10 clients, most I have done was 8 and only when doing sermon groups. I normally run 3-4 and have not seen any difference other then my gpu working harder but it seems my cpu is being hit less.

That sounds pretty good.  My new gaming PC always sounds like a vacuum cleaner due to the cpu fan being 3 pin and the mobo being 4 pin, so I can't alter the speed settings.  Getting a different cpu fan soon, and with that I'm expecting a much lower noise level and lower energy consumption.

From what I hear, the large Unique hunts are suffering terribly and with a much smaller hunt group than previously.  Impalongs are probably going to get hammered, as well as treasure hunts.  I'm concerned for a couple of things:

1. Driving away players with older machines that are forced to play everything is super low graphics mode.

2. Driving players away from large group events, which are one of the things that makes Wurm shine.

So many new players I've met over the years have raved about the amazing Impalongs they have attended.  I'd hate to see that end.

Everyone is being forced to upgrade a little bit in 2015/2016. Support for older machines is dropping, Like for example chrome is stopping support for xp/vista in april. More is on the way too.

Thankfully upgrading is pretty cheap, you can turn a 200$ office pc into a average gaming rig with a 150$ gtx 750 ti and 50$ 8gb ddr3 ram, 50$ for a 60gb ssd. 

Recently we (me and the people living around us) have a lot of problems with Wurm, its laggy most of the time, the game goes to not responding all of a sudden, crashes while travelling, which caused me to die and almost loose my horses. I have no idea what happened, but after i spoke with more people about this, i am convinced that the problem is not from my computer. I've been playing Wurm for months and never had such bad experience with performance. Please fix! 

Yeah, we can't really complain about graphics updates.  They have to happen at some point to at least attempt to keep the game somewhere in the ball-park of current.  Older machines take a hit, that's for sure, but that can't be regulated by Code Club.  Just like any other game out there; if you want to play you'll need to have the minimum requirements for hardware/software.  That's how the story goes.  I, for one, am happy with the updates.

3 minutes ago, Arlina said:

Recently we (me and the people living around us) have a lot of problems with Wurm, its laggy most of the time, the game goes to not responding all of a sudden, crashes while travelling, which caused me to die and almost loose my horses. I have no idea what happened, but after i spoke with more people about this, i am convinced that the problem is not from my computer. I've been playing Wurm for months and never had such bad experience with performance. Please fix! 

It isn't necessarily the fault of the updates, however.  I've been running the game smooth as pie since I got my new rig with windows 10.  I haven't had any crashes or any hard lag issues.  Some times compatibility with older software becomes a problem and it's time to update. 

Of course. The thing is we should get some feedback from the admins about compatibilities, i cant randomly start installing new windows, hoping Wurm will stop crashing. :) I asked a few times in Help chat, i didnt receive an answer or advice from them. 

I don't generally check my usage stats unless something is going wrong which it hasn't outside of the last public hunt. When it does go wrong, it generally causes a big chunk of ram to be used for nothing after the crash, so that's nice.

My computer always sounds like an airplane taking off though.

well i did get travel lagged after a short trip that didn't cause travel lag before, yeah

The amounts of lag that are being generated when any group of people gather (for me) and I see others complaining make it essentially unplayable, I am getting 1-60fps but whenever anyone enters local my wurm freezes up now. Crashes every 3-8 minutes are the norm in groups it appears since the "travel lag fix" of 2-3 weeks ago. On a personal note i get more travel lag then ever before : (

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

The amounts of lag that are being generated when any group of people gather (for me) and I see others complaining make it essentially unplayable, I am getting 1-60fps but whenever anyone enters local my wurm freezes up now. Crashes every 3-8 minutes are the norm in groups it appears since the "travel lag fix" of 2-3 weeks ago. On a personal note i get more travel lag then ever before : (

What are your system specs and operating system you're using?

another patch today and no documentation

wonder what they broke this time

I'm experiencing boat lag, especially if two or more people are in boat. "Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower." and "You are out of synch with the server. Please stand still."

Very often I have to wait before doors and gates open.

And then there are these new, weird mini-freezes, which happen every 10-15 seconds sometimes. Casually walking, then everything freezes for half a second, and then moves on. I'm afraid to use autorun near cliffy areas because I've already hurt myself once due to such glitch. And I'm running Wurm on quite low settings as it is, reflections and other shiny glitters are turned off.

True, last time i used auto-run i ended up deep in the forest, chased by 2 spiders and a hell hound. There was no indication that they game will freeze and go to "not responding". Then it got better and it gave me a chance to escape and restart the game, which is fixing the issue for next 10-15 minutes. Then it starts again. 

Crashes and freezes happen to me on the lowest settings possible, so it's likely related to something different from graphics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asdf said:

well i did get travel lagged after a short trip that didn't cause travel lag before, yeah

Same here.. now riding around in the neighborhood causes travel lag. That never happened before.

Hi all,

If you are experiencing issues, please add as much information as you can to this thread here

This will help us in identifying what is causing these issues so we can eliminate them

• Like 1

I recently logged in for the latest unique kill on Exo after taking a break from wurm and have to say the lag in local was twice as bad as it used too be. Was not even half the players in local like at some of the public unique kills, Would be interesting to hear how they manage.

I noticed a lot more disconnects and general complaining about lag while attending the kill and the only thing that allowed me to take part without too much interference was to disable the GLSL shader which reduced my lag by half.

i posted about this in technical issues under client issues a couple days back, but im going to repeat here at Retrograde's request.

Before the graphics changes, i could have 8 clients or more running smoothly.  They could all be in the same area and my villagers could have many alts running in the same area.  I could afk or just not check an alt for hours and there would be no issue.

Recently, say 2 weeks ago, I tried to log in 8 toons and found that something had changed significantly.  I could get the toons into the game, but it took a lot of time loading and the 7th / 8th toons were very painful.  If I left 5 toons in the village compound and took one out hunting, i found that as soon as i left the other toons' local my performance for the single player got much better.  As soon as i returned to the local occupied by the other 5 toons, things immediately got bad.

I also find that if im alt+tab'ing between toons, when i select a new toon, it seems to have disconnected and it takes quite a while... say a minute... to become fully responsive again.  Then if i switch to another toon, i must endure this issue all over again.

The other issue i have is toons will drop...  xxx left the world.  However, i can still alt + tab to that toon and attempt to move.  When i do this, the toon moves briefly and then i get the loading screen and the toon re-connects to the game.

Whatever this issue is, it has created massive problems for my play style.  Whats of the point in having multiple, paid accounts if they cant be used simultaneously if that is the way i want to use them?

I am running:

Win 10

Intel i5 4440

16MB gskill RAM

MB: Asus z87i pro

Sapphire Dual x R9 280x

Not cutting edge, but definitely not a slouch either.

• Like 2

I'm running an Asus laptop.

i7

16GB RAM

2GB Nvidia 680m

flash HD

Win 10 64 bit

Java 64 bit 8.0.730.2

Client 3.99v

Not getting hit quite as bad as Newman330, but I do find myself reluctant to load more than a couple alts and am rethinking my multi prem play style, since I can't effectively play that way anymore.  It just isn't as much fun to run on super low graphics settings all the time, when my laptop can handle much better with other games.

Traveling on Pristine starts giving me the mini freezes, like the old days when we had the bad memory leaks.  I've also experienced some of those client reconnect issues as Newman330 describes above.  In the past, they were very fast reconnects if they happened, now it takes a long time for the reconnect.

Edited by Wurmhole

There is an issue with the new windows platforms and overall performance. If your running windows 8 or 10 you might be suffering from a glitch with the operating system. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3ibibp/windows_10_disk_usage_100/

the link above is for people that have spikes in the disk usage. I painfully went through a lot of steps to figure out why my disk was doing this. some suggestions worked for a few days but it seemed to always work itself back up. I decided to do a full system wipe. After that wurm went from lag fest to amazing. the disk problem was gone. After talking with some friends we discovered this coincided with a Java update. The disk symptom didn't manifest itself right away but gradually until it locks up. Ive tried manually deleting Java before but it never seemed to go away fully until i reset the computer. I also want to note that Java needs to match your system. if your running a 32 bit system get the 32 bit java. if your running a 64 bit system get 64 bit java. Be careful where you download java from. Most options you find when you search are from malicious sites. Java in itself is very susceptible to viruses/malware.

Another thing, not sure if i was doing something wrong but i was one of those that had 32 bit java on a 64 bit system. whenever i tried replacing the 32 bit java with the 64 bit version it never worked. Java would always run the 32 bit version even after removing it. Im not sure if the updater had anything to do with it but it never fully erased the damn thing until i wiped the computer. After that and installing the 64 bit java version Ive had an amazing turn around with little to no lag. Not to mention the game looks 10 times better.

If your one of those that has windows 10 and you try to reset your computer you might have issues doing this. You cannot just reset it anymore since windows is a cocky bastard that felt the operating system was too good to have problems. So when you get the error message saying you cant reset you operating system to factory settings, try using the option to boot from disk even if you don't have a boot disk or recovery disk. when you get to a blue screen that gives you your options you then can choose to restore to factory settings.

please please please, don't forget to start your computer in safe mode and recover all your important documents, pictures, saved games, wurm game settings :P etc. prior to resetting your computer. I really hope this helps people out, i spent days screwing with this but in the end my computer is running perfect. Its never a bad thing to do a factory reset, lots of problems can be solved this way. Just don't forgot to save things on a thumb drive or external first.

Good luck

Edited by JudusX

I notice an increase in memory usage with the new client.

I use an older desktop, 2GB RAM, dual-core AMD CPU, NVidia 9800 GT, running Linux Mint 32-bit. I have/had the more or less common startup crashes that Wurm is famous for. Can take anything from 1 to 10 attempts to start the client. Apart from  the startup crashes the computer ran Wurm fine (I don't use alts, thus only 1 client). Used 700-800 MB memory unless I travelled a lot, then I would need relogs because the memory usage would go higher and higher.

With the new client the memory footprint is much higher with the same settings. Even without travel I will run against 1.4 GB memory and need relogs frequently.

Edit: No idea whether relevant but my console also gets spammed with this text: Found DDS texture. Trying to upload it

Edited by Eobersig

Another fix I would suggest is uninstalling wurm and anything to do with Java. Reinstall Java then reinstall wurm. As I explained in an earlier post, after I did a system restore and reinstalled everything, I've had no problems with crashes or lag for that matter.