Sign in to follow this  
Davidius

No new features for WU

Hi everyone,

I know that this is a very precarious topic. In my opinion WU should not get any of the features that are developed after the release of WU. You paid for the product in it's development state when it got released in October. Any additional features are a free bonus for now, but those are a privilege, not a right. Bugfixes are discussable, but every good vendor would supply those.

The ongoing development is paid from the online community and therefore should be reserved for them. If you want those you should be able to buy those with an expansion pack. This expansion pack will contain the feature of one month. It won't work if you do not have all the former expansion packs since the release. That's how I would handle the sale. This way the developers get paid for the job and that's only fair. We do not benefit if CodeClubAB needs to quit service because of financial gaps.

For the longevity of Wurm

Davidius

• Like 2

You KNOW NOTHING

Edited by akaedis

Actually, if WU players could also pay a monthly stipend through paypal to a designated WO player termed his or her "Lord" or "Lady" that wouuld be great

• Like 1

I didn't read your post but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to.
Although I hate the idea of Wurm Unlimited, and splitting the playerbase further, you're ridiculous if you think that stopping support for WU so quickly after its release is a healthy way to go about game development.

One problem with the statement made in the original post is it fails to take into account the promise made by Rolf that both WU and WO would continue to receive the updates equally.

Here is the specific question and answer:

How will this affect the development of the MMO?

WU and WO share the same code, but the main branch is WO which means we will develop the WO server code first and then release on WU, except when there are features that are more appropriate to try on WU first. Such changes may be added to WO when we feel that they are tested properly. When it comes to the client, the code is also very much shared and improvements of for instance settings or rendering will be available for both within a fairly short time frame.

1 hour ago, Davidius said:

Hi everyone,

For the longevity of Wurm (Online)

Davidius

Well if you make stupid sugestions, then make them right.

You should know, Wurm = WO AND WU

btw: -1

Edited by Caduryn

+1 because i hate when updates break mods

let the modders implement what they want and dont force official updates upon us

4 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

+1 because i hate when updates break mods

let the modders implement what they want and dont force official updates upon us

Im still using the same mods and same ago modloader version that i got like over a month ago, maybe more.... What are you talking about? Like all you have to do is re-run the .bat and bam it works again...

It is only reasonable. Make Wurm Unlimited expansion packs and sell season passes. It is a strange system to develop a finished product for free.

14 minutes ago, Tsetse said:

It is only reasonable. Make Wurm Unlimited expansion packs and sell season passes. It is a strange system to develop a finished product for free.

you mean like how  games used to work before the likes of ea and ubisoft and activision and such decided that money was more important then costumer care?

i remember several games that came out years ago that received free updates and expansions for years on end for those who already owned the game while never lowing the cost of the original game(always staying at release price) compared to lowering the price in a sale or forever within 6 months and then releasing a paid expansion to make up for the price drop >.>

there is 1 game that received a total of 178 patches of which 150 where extra content over the course of 7 years and all for free including 2 proper expansion packs adding hours worth of content

the fact that people have gotten used to the ###### idea of season passes to get access to 1 work week worth of downloadable content every few months and pay a hefty price for it is just wrong

im with everyone else on this when i say keep it the way it is WU was meant to be a short time cash grab and a means for others to enjoy wurm(those who cant afford a monthly sub or dont want to play on the current servers)

1 hour ago, Tsetse said:

and sell season passes.

We can never be friends.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wipeout said:

you mean like how  games used to work before the likes of ea and ubisoft and activision and such decided that money was more important then costumer care?

i remember several games that came out years ago that received free updates and expansions for years on end for those who already owned the game while never lowing the cost of the original game(always staying at release price) compared to lowering the price in a sale or forever within 6 months and then releasing a paid expansion to make up for the price drop >.>

there is 1 game that received a total of 178 patches of which 150 where extra content over the course of 7 years and all for free including 2 proper expansion packs adding hours worth of content

the fact that people have gotten used to the ###### idea of season passes to get access to 1 work week worth of downloadable content every few months and pay a hefty price for it is just wrong

im with everyone else on this when i say keep it the way it is WU was meant to be a short time cash grab and a means for others to enjoy wurm(those who cant afford a monthly sub or dont want to play on the current servers)

Many game companies went bankrupt because they couldn't figure out how to make money. Season passes and expansion packs are the solution and the response to that crisis. Code Club should use the profits from Wurm Unlimited to develop Wurm 2 while using the monthly profits from Wurm Online to develop Wurm Online.

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 1

It's not like WU getting WO updates even takes a whole lot of work. The two products share a near-identical codebase.

It seems the OP is not pleased that many former WO players have departed to WU and has come up with this idea as a way to punish them. I agree that this idea would do just that but it would certainly not build up any good will between the two branches of the same game.

Beyond this, it doesn't make much sense since all patches/updates/improvements to Wurm Online are implemented at no cost to the current playerbase. Even those playing without Premium get them. They are normally developed first on WO and then within some undefinable timeframe patched down into WU without any development specifically targeted to that sub-game. Yes, this does enhance WU by putting it on a pretty equal basis with the new additions to WO and so encourages new players to buy WU.

Both games are symbiotically linked now, both mechanically and financially, so for the game Developers to create a fracture between them along the lines as suggested just shows a lack of understanding of this concept, putting it kindly.

=Ayes=

6 hours ago, Tsetse said:

Many game companies went bankrupt because they couldn't figure out how to make money. Season passes and expansion packs are the solution and the response to that crisis. Code Club should use the profits from Wurm Unlimited to develop Wurm 2 while using the monthly profits from Wurm Online to develop Wurm Online.

If they were going to use the profits from WU to develop Wurm 2 then why would they not also use the profits from WO to also help develop Wurm 2?

After all why would they keep doing anything more then required maintenance of Wurm 1 if they had already decided to move towards W2?

• Like 1

Hmm.  I wonder if WO would ever be able to go the route of "expansion packs," that add a lot of new content and such.  At its current state it would never work due to having a lower player base.  Also, seeing as it is a sandbox game, it would be difficult to add a whole lot of new features in a purchasable expansion pack and still stay within the realm of being a medieval sandbox.  Perhaps if bug fixes were more common place updates, and title and sub-title updates were reserved for occasional expansions then it could be done.  Something along the lines of say 1-2 expansions per year that cost somewhere in the range of $10.00 to $25.00.  I'm not really sure about all this, as I've never developed or ran an online video game, so I'm just spit-balling here.  The only issue here is that such updates would have to add stuff to the game that isn't necessary so as not to force people to buy it to be able to continue playing.

Why not the best of both worlds, charge WU players for updates AND make WO players pay a few silver as activation fee for new features?  Yeeeeah.

On a serious note, I could see WU not getting feature updates as WO does.  It feels like WU could easily be the type of off-title game derived from the main source, but updated and modified by players into what their vision is for it.  Sort of like how DayZ was originally a mod for Arma2, but then became a stand-a-lone game.  In my opinion, this gives more focus to WO, the main title, for big feature updates such as bridges, buildings in caves, permissions overhauls, etc.  Players that are excited by such updates could easily play WO for those company developed features and perks, whereas WU players themselves would have to create the extra content for their own off-shoot modified game.  It could give players more of a unique incentive to play WO or WU, depending on what each game offers, instead of giving players the choice to play either game the exact same way.  Diversity.  Again, just an opinion and just spit balling.

Edited by Slickshot

Increase the costs for playing WO or WU and less people will play it. For years within WO players have been avoiding paying for features the game offers and even the Premium cost by making (not earning) coins in-game. Whenever suggestions are made to reduce these options players that use them complain about it. Now people suggest that the game and its offshoot WU should increase costs by charging for patches/additions/improvements to the game? Ludicrous!

A much better option is to keep costs down for playing the game (other than handing out coins back to players) and instead introduce items into the Wurm Shop that could be purchased only there with RL funds. Reflect back on the Green Hat Gnome sale of 200 hundred only. Within a few weeks they were all sold out and no negative game impact was had, other than the fact the they were not sold through the Wurm Shop but rather another subletted vendor, which once again cut into game profits.

Anyway, selling cosmetic game options exclusive to the Wurm Shop is the way to go to increase game income, not charging players more to play the game or excluding patches/game improvements to WU. Why there is such an aversion from the Dev's (Rolf) to setting up some purchasable items within the Wurm Shop is beyond me. Makes too much financial sense maybe? Or the old Alfred E. mantra is being followed once again: "What? Me worry?"

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Hint: biggest game in the world send's updates what seems like a year at a time and you don't have to pay extra for that... (the other game which notch coded)... and other games do as well... nuff said.  not much to say or add. 

+1 to staggering or limiting updates to WU.  WO is the main priority game, not WU.  WU feels more like a do-it-yourself sandbox emulator.