Sign in to follow this  
Vroomfondel

Idea for improvement of birdcages

Since we now have birdcages, I'm sure most of us would rather have something prettier than a chicken in them.  Rather than ask for new birds to be created for breeding, how about just creating new eggs to find to make the cages.  Go foraging and find a small blue egg, and when you use it to create a birdcage you get a robin inside.  A small speckled egg would create a goldfinch.  And a few other eggs for parrots, mynahs, canaries, etc.  This way the devs only need to create the caged bird and eggs, instead of the birds in the wild to be collected and raised.

• Like 13

Good idea.

What about making the egg foraging a seasonal event such as at Easter when you have a chance to find one of the eggs over a period of time? This would then mean players have the opportunity to receive a Christmas gift, Valentines Day flowers and now an Easter gift. Perhaps one bird type per year is not what Vroomfondel intended but it could perhaps be a symbol of an avatars longevity and loyalty- what do people think?

8 hours ago, Spolmit said:

Good idea.

What about making the egg foraging a seasonal event such as at Easter when you have a chance to find one of the eggs over a period of time? This would then mean players have the opportunity to receive a Christmas gift, Valentines Day flowers and now an Easter gift. Perhaps one bird type per year is not what Vroomfondel intended but it could perhaps be a symbol of an avatars longevity and loyalty- what do people think?

Don't want to see this as just a seasonal thing, as a chicken in a birdcage is silly looking.  I want to see everyone able to have more interesting birds in cages.  But, perhaps for a holiday like Valentine's, special eggs are found, like lovebird eggs.

I totally forgot there were birdcages! Can they be mailed? What are people charging for them?

+1

They're a pain to make, high jewelry smithing needed. and even then it's a bugger. so im told.
had one made recently, very pretty. terrible draw distance, as expected.
still, somewhat sublime when added to the right environment, it's well worth making one.

Edited by Steveleeb

Also, I'd like to be able to improve a birdcage without effectively shoving my pet chicken in a furnace.

I usually make all bling as soon as I can but still haven't done a bird cage due to the silly looking hen.

Give us a pheasant in the cage instead!

On 2/16/2016 at 2:08 AM, Vroomfondel said:

Rather than ask for new birds to be created for breeding, how about just creating new eggs to find to make the cages.  Go foraging and find a small blue egg...

+1

In the same way you find rare coins while foraging, you could find rare colored bird eggs to be hatched and used in empty cages. The eggs would be perishable like food and the living bird would need to be fed/tended to keep it alive (examine to see decay like flower pots). If there were breeding, maybe the eggs and birds can have RGB values;  their offspring egg would be determined in the same way dye is mixed. There would be a huge interest in acquiring 'pure' colored birds for great color control while breeding. Animal Husbandry skill determines color QL.

14 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

+1

They're a pain to make, high jewelry smithing needed. and even then it's a bugger. so im told.
had one made recently, very pretty. terrible draw distance, as expected.
still, somewhat sublime when added to the right environment, it's well worth making one.

They are indeed a pita to make, just short of 70 JS with 75ql+ mats most difficult thing i have run into, but maybe need higher skills to make easy.  Also had to finally figure out the trick to get chickens to reliably lay within their short lifespan (1 per tile on plan grass with pile of ~100 wild grass per tile, if they bunch up, separate back out to 1 per tile, will lay one or more eggs per RL day)....all that work and it is a frigging chicken in the cage, i mean really could have been a rooster at least, something colorful

Reminds me of a wagon at like 40, incidentally out of curiosity tried to make a wagon in WU with 99ql parts 99 in all related skills...still 80% (iirc) creation chance :).

and +1

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 1

+1 to making changes to birdcage.... i have a suggestion on this idea of my own:

remove the egg from building requirements and create an empty birdcage. Then make it a small container suitable only for one egg. Allow egg to hatch inside, and upon hatching, creates random bird type inside for decoration. The bird inside can not be removed, and no other eggs can be placed inside. would allow for trading of birdcages for the desired bird style, or give reason for a collection.... :) bird types (models) could include many of the common to rare species of birds in the world.

(I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be to code (there may be easier ways), but I like the idea!)

• Like 3

So far the only actual flying mobs in game are GMs...

Mmm a GM in a birdcage. kinky :ph34r:

On 2/19/2016 at 10:46 PM, ClericGunem said:

Also had to finally figure out the trick to get chickens to reliably lay within their short lifespan (1 per tile on plan grass with pile of ~100 wild grass per tile, if they bunch up, separate back out to 1 per tile, will lay one or more eggs per RL day)....

Seriously?  **you see Amadee running to add more grass to the tiles**  Thanks for the tip.  My chickens practically never lay eggs.  It's funny though, last time I posted that I hadn't seen an egg in months, there was an egg there when I logged in.  lol.  **knocks on wood and says a kind word about Vynora**

+1 to the OP and some of the other ideas in this thread.  I'd love to see some cool birds for the cages.

2 hours ago, koroth said:

+1 to making changes to birdcage.... i have a suggestion on this idea of my own:

remove the egg from building requirements and create an empty birdcage. Then make it a small container suitable only for one egg. Allow egg to hatch inside, and upon hatching, creates random bird type inside for decoration. The bird inside can not be removed, and no other eggs can be placed inside. would allow for trading of birdcages for the desired bird style, or give reason for a collection.... :) bird types (models) could include many of the common to rare species of birds in the world.

(I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be to code (there may be easier ways), but I like the idea!)

I like the option of a simply empty bird cage (over the chicken)

Empty, reusable cages would certainly make the most sense, especially for people interested in raising their own birds but without the means to make their own. 

We currently have a chicken egg to use, so it would only make sense if it hatched a chicken, but then it doesn't really make sense to keep a chicken in that sort of cage to begin with.

If you look towards the sky, you can see wild birds flying about. Those would be the eggs to go out and search for. Finding different species (maybe on specific tile types (trees, steep rock, etc)) would offer great variety and opportunity to collect rare birds. 

+1

chicken is kinda silly, the egg idea was a good one, but more eggs please