Sign in to follow this  
bdew

[Released] Bdew Server mods - New mod: Fishy Tweaks - Updated Apr 09

i'm unable to get the better digging mod to work with clay, i'm still only getting 2kgs per dig,

Bdew i love the new speed mod :D next time i will make a cake for you too ;) 

6 hours ago, ozmods said:

i'm unable to get the better digging mod to work with clay, i'm still only getting 2kgs per dig,

Is this on 1.0.0.6 or beta? Any errors in the logs/console? Are you digging into a cart/crate/ground?

2 hours ago, Biervampyr said:

Bdew i love the new speed mod :D next time i will make a cake for you too ;) 

Heh, thanks :)

Hey Bdew, I am not sure if it is just me or if other people are experiencing this as well. For some reason in your releases when I extract them the properties file is all 1 line, kinda like minimalized css files, many times there are no spaces between what should be lines which make them not work.

Of course I have been able to easily fix this by copying from the raw in the code section and replacing, but I have noticed this on every one of your mods I use now, and thought you might want to look into it. It may be something funky with my decompressor but worth a look.

Have you looked into possibly for the speed mod doing something about the abrupt hitting of the brakes when you go uphill. Even a small uphill climb and your speed goes to nothing.

13 hours ago, bdew said:

Is this on 1.0.0.6 or beta? Any errors in the logs/console? Are you digging into a cart/crate/ground?

Heh, thanks :)

Im running 1.0.0.7 beta, i havent looked at the logs so not sure on that, and im digging to ground, the dirt and sand work fine, just not clay

6 hours ago, Xyp said:

Hey Bdew, I am not sure if it is just me or if other people are experiencing this as well. For some reason in your releases when I extract them the properties file is all 1 line, kinda like minimalized css files, many times there are no spaces between what should be lines which make them not work.

Of course I have been able to easily fix this by copying from the raw in the code section and replacing, but I have noticed this on every one of your mods I use now, and thought you might want to look into it. It may be something funky with my decompressor but worth a look.

Probably CR/LF line ending nonsense. Java *should* be able to read them regardless, but windows text editors might not. I'll see about shipping the properties files with windows line endings in the future.

3 hours ago, Xyp said:

Have you looked into possibly for the speed mod doing something about the abrupt hitting of the brakes when you go uphill. Even a small uphill climb and your speed goes to nothing.

I'll look into it but it's likely that it would need both client and server side mods to change.

figured it out, it was the "dig to ground" mod that was conflicting, I removed the DTG mod from my mod folder and I tried again, and it works right, cheers

Hey Bdew, any chance the carry capacity adjustments could be pushed to the client, or would that need a client mod? Currently an increased carry capacity works, but does not show the new rates on the client character window when you hover over the Weight at the top left. It shows the original amounts.

I'm pretty sure that would need a client side mod, but i'll look at it when i get the chance.

Edited by bdew

Just a note, easy to work around by not setting it as fast, though you know would be nice to not have something so weird cause configuration to have to be limited like this....

Ship/boat speeds if set to 9+ they go backwards... if set to 8 rare+ ships/boats go backwards. Rather annoying, seems the highest setting is around 6 to keep fantastic ships from going backwards, though more testing may prove otherwise. Additional passengers could also cause problems. Still testing some things on this.

All those are limitations of the WU client/server protocol (the speed is sent as a signed byte).

I could probably inject some code in the calculation that would cap the final value at 127 preventing it from overflowing. It would "fix" the backwards movement but make additional passengers/rarity not add speed past some point. Finding all the right places would probably be a pain in the arse, but i'll look into it when i get the chance.

No worries, like I said easy to work around, only pointing it out for mod polishing reasons, no big deal at all, thanks Bdew.

If anything perhaps some more details in the .properties headers would be nice. The base speed on creatures doesn't make a lot of sense, neither do the boats/ships. The only one that seems to make sense is carts/wagons/transporters that seems to be 1.(%) example 1.2 seems to be a 20% increase. I am trying to figure out how exactly those numbers calculate, right now I have just been trying to tweak them to get them where I want them. Though you may have more insight than I do being the one who wrote the mod, if not, I will share what I discover when I get it all worked out. I am thinking the numbers on creatures may be a flat %, like 40 on horse would be a 40% increase to the base horse speed? The number on the boats is completely odd to me at this time however.

Edited by Xyp

13 hours ago, Xyp said:

If anything perhaps some more details in the .properties headers would be nice. The base speed on creatures doesn't make a lot of sense, neither do the boats/ships.

Thing is, they make about as much sense in the code ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are constants that get some math done on them then are fed into the movement system which is a 500+ LOC clusterduck.

Unless somebody wants to go through all that and figure out the exact formulas how those constants translate into actual speed ingame, the only thing we have is trial and error.

I only use the movement mod you wrote and ive had reports of carts and boats & carts suddenly start requiring moving in reverse (s to go forward w to go backwards)   Any idea or others who have had this issue?  

3 hours ago, razoreqx said:

I only use the movement mod you wrote and ive had reports of carts and boats & carts suddenly start requiring moving in reverse (s to go forward w to go backwards)   Any idea or others who have had this issue?  

Read what me and xyp discussed right above your post. If the speed is set too high it will overflow the signed byte that represents it in the network protocol and cause that backwards movement. 

Edited by bdew

6 hours ago, bdew said:

Read what me and xyp discussed right above your post. If the speed is set too high it will overflow the signed byte that represents it in the network protocol and cause that backwards movement. 

LOL sorry i should have read that first.   Thanks.

Does anyone have a recommended .properties file that has already fine tuned this to an accepted speed for the engine?

I think Bdew's default properties is already tweaked pretty acceptable for most creatures/vehicles, I was just trying to boost them further and went to far on a few things hehe.

On 06/09/2016 at 10:13 PM, bdew said:

Thing is, they make about as much sense in the code ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are constants that get some math done on them then are fed into the movement system which is a 500+ LOC clusterduck.

Unless somebody wants to go through all that and figure out the exact formulas how those constants translate into actual speed ingame, the only thing we have is trial and error.

Sound a bit like Hungarian Maths from a game i used to play called Perpetuum.

On 6/10/2016 at 5:21 PM, Xyp said:

I think Bdew's default properties is already tweaked pretty acceptable for most creatures/vehicles, I was just trying to boost them further and went to far on a few things hehe.

The default config should be just default WU values, there is however a tweaked config here: https://github.com/bdew-wurm/movemod/blob/master/altconfig/movemod.properties

On 6/10/2016 at 7:43 PM, bigsteve said:

Sound a bit like Hungarian Maths from a game i used to play called Perpetuum.

Heh, that's just cloned EVE math :P

• Like 1

Oh I see, somehow I got the altconfig when I was replacing the one line from the release. My bad haha.

Thanks for all this, makes terraforming much less derpy than vanilla

Hey Bdew, did some more testing with boats, there are just way too many variables if you want decently fast boats and a big server. Mainly associated with passengers. I think the best solution may be to add a maximum speed like you had mentioned before, to avoid this backwards movement issue being possible. Maybe do it as a configurable option just in case someone does not like it. No rush, or obviously no requirement, but thank you in advance if you do this. I can obviously make the adjustments myself but prefer to keep mods updatable easily when possible.

• Like 1

I'm super busy at the moment, didn't had a chance really work on anything wurm related for over a week.

If you do end up implementing it yourself i wouldn't mind adding it to the mod if you made a PR on github :P