Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Transforming Tiles - Testing! (Offline)

Have to close up shop for the night.

Again, everything you need to make the fluid is available. If you'd like to test, you can at least get that part done (you'll need quite a bit anyway) and then either ask a player who has a priest now or ask in Freedom if a GM is on to priest you.

I'll update this post again later in the day tomorrow when I am able to be on for more testing.

I would again like to thank everyone who has popped on over the last few days to help us test this new feature. It allows you to learn about it before it goes live (and prepare for it! Lots of fruit and lumps!) and it has also been a huge help to us in identifying the kinks. Everyone plays a little differently, so the more people we have working with this feature the better the chances of getting it as close to bug-free as humanly possible.

If you do happen to test, take a stop over here first to see the issues that have already been reported: 

You can also use that thread to report issues you may find.

I know we all have our mains to play on, and taking time out to Test takes away from the time we could be putting toward something meaningful on Live, but every little bit helps.

Thank you all again, and I look forward to more testing tomorrow. :)

Postponed!?

But but but... I was looking forward to some alchemic shenanigans!

CyURIy9.png

I waited for you Keenan...

Made some applejuice for others during the wait, isnt there any way of us converting ourself to Fo maybe spawn a whitelight and let us examing/use some item to puts our faith/channeling at 50?

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 1

HI all,

The test server is back up, but Keenan isn't on just now. Feel free to jump on and check it out though!

As I said above, I'm baaaaack!

I'm probably going to be hanging around until about 10pm Eastern US time (so about 3.5 hours from this post)

I'm just going to say I fully support better testing being publicised in this manner before being put live in the game. Obviously you won't be able to catch everything but this is the level of professionalism this game has been crying out for, hopefully someday soon we'll have seen the last of poorly implemented, barely tested and broken code being pushed through to the live servers. Good work dev team!

• Like 6

I had an idea and thought this might be a good place to share it...

What do we think about making a rock tile potion? This would allow players to make rock tiles on islands so that they can then use transmutation rods and make a mine out of it. I guess the same thing could be accomplished with just making a change and letting the transmutation rods make an above ground boulder on a ground tile that can be mined but i think that might be a nice addition to the game. 

I was hoping we'd get some potions to fix those pesky rock tiles into what we want too ;)

1 hour ago, Kegan said:

I had an idea and thought this might be a good place to share it...

What do we think about making a rock tile potion? This would allow players to make rock tiles on islands so that they can then use transmutation rods and make a mine out of it. I guess the same thing could be accomplished with just making a change and letting the transmutation rods make an above ground boulder on a ground tile that can be mined but i think that might be a nice addition to the game. 

One of the issues with rock is the way Wurm's map files work. The current liquids are simply changing a resource flag on the surface layer. There's also a rock and a cave layer and they all heavily depend on each other. This was evident when some of the first WU map generators weren't properly setting data on one layer, leading to the other layers that rely on it to fail. If you have access to a WU server to play around with, use a GM to change the terrain of a surface tile to rock and then mine into it. Depending on how close that surface tile is to the rock layer, it may work fine - or you may end up with some very strange terrain bugs that are nearly impossible to fix properly. The game will try to compensate for the massive difference between the surface layer and the rock layer, leading to funky heights - which you cannot directly set without an external utility (and I'm not even sure one exists yet).

There's also the problem of the water layer, which is static and cannot be changed. While I would absolutely love for the ability to toss a mine down on Shiny (my Exodus deed), it wouldn't work at all without me building up the surface layer artificially with massive amounts of dirt, because I wouldn't be able to mine into it at all without diving into water. That artificial build-up would create the aforementioned terrain height glitches as it tries to raise the rock layer (and cave layer) heights to the surface height, when the surrounding tiles will remain the same - this leaves you with giant spikes.

• Like 1

Well it does sound like a rock liquid will not work but maybe we can get the transmutation rod to make a boulder at some point. I know they do already have a boulder that i have seen on test in the past for the moon metals i believe it was but i guess this is not a place for that.

Thanks for letting me know the troubles a rock potion would cause and thanks for all the new features you guys have been putting together for us all to enjoy. :)  

• Like 1

So just pouring concrete into the ground doesn't raise the rock level underneath the dirt?

3 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

So just pouring concrete into the ground doesn't raise the rock level underneath the dirt?

Concrete, when applied to actual rock, raises the rock level. There's a limitation to it though, slope-wise, and when you do this you are actually interacting with the rock layer directly. Small changes like this are no big deal. The issue comes when the surface tile you just changed to rock is 80 dirts higher than the rock layer. When you attempt to open that as a cave, it's weird things can happen depending on the terrain around it. In my own testing, I had giant spikes form as well as giant holes as the layers tried to bridge the gap created.