Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Give us back scafolding

Fences not blocking surface mining was the one sanity saving technique to starting a new surface mining project on slopes.   Please give it back.

• Like 1

That is not a life insurance there is still a small chance of falling even if you never move. Around a few hundred actions I usually fall -and I do nothing else when surface than hitting the mine key bind

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaz said:

That is not a life insurance there is still a small chance of falling even if you never move. Around a few hundred actions I usually fall -and I do nothing else when surface than hitting the mine key bind

^this

• Like 1

Surface mining on large slopes should be dangerous and difficult. Being able to surface mine under a fence didn't make any sense anyway; we can't dig, so why be able to surface mine?

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Surface mining on large slopes should be dangerous and difficult. Being able to surface mine under a fence didn't make any sense anyway; we can't dig, so why be able to surface mine?

It already was, wasn't it?

It just went from dangerous and difficult to nearly IMPOSSIBLE.

• Like 1

Hardly impossible, unless for some reason you're trying to surface mine the middle of a giant cliff and don't have any contingency plans available, and don't want to make a temporary tunnel or anything like that. Hell, you could put a fence a few tiles below, in order to catch yourself and get some stamina while working. It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be, and this being Wurm, players will still accomplish what they want come hell or high water.

• Like 1

khm. Why all of you still use fences as support you on big slopes when there is the perfect surface mining companion in game for a long while already?

Siege shields are your friends. Easy to make, mobile, low ql ones decay in a week thus even saving you the hassle of bashing away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Thanks for the tip

Rather have climbing gear as an alternative: rope and harnesses to hold one in place.

• Like 3

grind climbing skill, stamina, and use samiches. stop being lazy.

9 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Well if we're going by what makes sense, how does someone exactly build a fence on solid rock in the first place?

The simple fact is the playerbase isn't being given the proper tools to deal with the issue, so they found a work around.  Like we ALWAYS have. 

I see no issue with that.

• Like 1

I would not mind building a fence one tile lower, if I could trust the fence to hold me without bouncing over it.  However the Siege shield idea seems really interesting to me.  I need to try this.

Edit:  Dang... lots of resources needed to make one and heavy too.  Can someone explain how movable it is?  If I give a push, will it snap over to the next tile?  1 push, 20 pushes?

Edited by Wurmhole

doesn't make sense to mine under a fence, that ones an obvious bug so -1

7 hours ago, Proximo said:

Well if we're going by what makes sense, how does someone exactly build a fence on solid rock in the first place?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rock_climbing#Some_historical_benchmarks

14th century AD: The Anasazis in the southwest United States drilled holes for posts and carved steps up the steep rock cliffs in Chaco Canyon.

7 hours ago, Proximo said:

The simple fact is the playerbase isn't being given the proper tools to deal with the issue.

7 hours ago, Klaa said:

Rather have climbing gear as an alternative: rope and harnesses to hold one in place.

I've done a ton of surface mining and I didn't even know about the fences. With the right planning only a few spots are tricky and only right at the beginning.