Sign in to follow this  
Elktazahjr

Wurm online is dying and it has to be revived

Edit: I'll gladly repost this in the suggestions as it had seem to have #triggered quite a lot of people, including the mod himself, which really just happens to be your average wurm player who was given a little more power than what he could handle

Wurm online is dying and it has to be revived

I've been playing Wurm Online since approximately 2012. I've always loved the concept of a game in which the world is shaped by players. I loved the idea of what Wurm Online was advertising, a world in which you can choose your professions, in which your accomplishments last and community working is encouraged. Trades are serious business and alliances between deeds can make a big difference

That is the idea with which I and many people arrived to wurm online for the first time in our lives. Back when I joined when celeb was still new the game still had that feeling to it and left me decently satisfied, although it was a little less than what the game seemed like it would be. Nevertheless, I'm still here after 4 years and I've especially been having fun in Wurm Unlimited since its release. Though, as time started passing, the price hikes happened in Wurm Online and servers started getting emptier I feel like wurm online has lost a lot of its original feeling. All memory that I have left of Wurm Online is

- Mostly consists of watching action timers pass

- Everything happens super slowly. Good luck accomplishing anything besides a simple deed as a single person without throwing your real life away

- Pay a premium price exceeding the costs of your triple A MMO to watch said action timers pass

- GM's are incredibly inconsistent and I feel like they have done the player base more harm than good in the past. No professionalism detectable, although I feel like codeclub did make a (poor) attempt.

And seeing the current state of wurm online honestly makes me kind of sad. I still wish it could be the great game that it could be. A lot of developers have tried to cater to the sandbox people, most obvious example is Life is Feudal, yet all of them have failed so far. Wurm Online is still the closest game to an actual medieval sandbox game and I feel like it is wasting all of its potential. Especially after they have stabbed themselves by releasing wurm unlimited, rather than fixing the original game, with each day that passes the chances of wurm online reaching that potential starts becoming less and less.

Considering the devs themselves had expected a lot, lot of more subscribers after the release of wurm unlimited it shows that it has failed at what it was supposed to do.

Most of us that are still here have been playing wurm online for a long while, and we have all been used to its quirks, although many still end up quitting, or “taking a break” for half a year or more out of the ridiculousness of some updates. Which, proven when the permissions system got released, apparently don't even get tested before being released on the live servers.

Now I didn't make this thread with the intentions of complaining about my disappointment, rather to come up my own ideas and suggestions to what in my opinion would help wurm online reach its true potential.

I am aware that whatever I list here, the “hardcore” wurm online players will immediately say no to it without giving it any shred of thought, as they are not at all interested in the well being of this game, rather their own little attachments and accomplishments in their little worlds. Take that away, and they'd leave this game and Rolf in a heartbeat, despite claims of them caring about the game and being loyal to Rolf. Therefore, I ask you not to read the suggestions out of greed or personal gains, rather purely out of a perspective of what is best to allow wurm online to thrive. I simply want to state my suggestions and start a discussion as to how to improve this game, I'm not ordering this game to immediately switch to adjust to my opinions and ideas.

• Like 1

SERVER ISSUES

Wurm online is a game best played with many other people. A big medieval world in which the players shape the world and real life is simulated will never be as fun as with a big, online community to do so with

-”But more players means more trollers and griefers!”

People used this as an argument against releasing wurm online on steam. Now wurm unlimited has been released on steam. I play on a server which at its peak has about 140 players online, and I have seen less griefers than I have in wurm online, while according to the wo community it should be filled with griefers and kids wreaking havoc. Why have I never encountered any griefers? Because the server has proper admins that solve griefer conflicts and are not afraid to compensate the player who has been griefed, while in wo they'd get a “sorry” at best. It is in the end the administrators responsibility to keep the griefers at a minimum. Keeping the player count low to have potentially less griefers is like cutting of an arm because you fear it might get hurt in the future.

With that aside, the current freedom server populations as I am writing this post are:

Independence: 90

Deliverance: 42

Exodus: 22!

Celebration: 15!

Pristine: 45

Release: 22!

Xanadu: 136

This is a total of 372 players, divided over 7 servers. The first question that pops up in my mind is: Why does wurm online have 7 servers to be divided over approximately 400 (500-550 during peak times) players? There are currently 3 servers of which I rarely see the population go above 30. Is it really a good idea to keep a tiny, tiny playerbase divided over 7 whole servers? And of course, this is only counting the freedom servers, Epic visibly being more of a disaster. All players on freedom could be merged into a server the size of Xanadu and there still wouldn't be any space issues at first and I believe this would honestly be better for the game.

-”But I don't like living with other people and interacting in a medieval sandbox MMO!”

Wurm online is an MMO and it is meant to be played on a community level. If you want to play a single player game, there's Wurm Unlimited for that.

• Like 3

Space Issues

Now note how I specifically said “at first”. While I believe that wurm online would be much more enjoyable with the player base being more concentrated, with the current nature of the game it would create issues regarding space. The main problems that I have noticed are:

- Land does not regenerate quickly enough. It can take real life months before a field of dirt has grass and trees over it again, with paved and otherwise altered land staying there forever. This creates an incredibly ugly sight particularly scaring away new players.

- There are no mechanics of taking over a piece of land. Once the owners of a deed have left, you first have to wait for several real life months for the deed to lose upkeep, then wait for the buildings to decay after that, which can take up to half a real life year depending on the quality of the buildings. Big chunks of land all over the world are left untouchable for up to a real life year, which is essentially “dead land”. Wurm online servers are huge, particularly Xanadu, but these huge amounts of “dead land” make players say “there is no more space on this server!”. Now Rolf has “fixed” this in the past by simply making a new server, thinking on a short term base as always, which in return diluted the player base over and over again until we got here, a tiny player base divided over 7 servers.

While on a short term base the issue is not as big, for a server that is destined to last for several years as a main server, it will cause the main server to look like a hideous mutant wasteland creature that shouldn't exist in the first place.

How to fix these space issues? First of all, let nature regenerate a lot quicker on non-deeded pieces of land in order to prevent creating hideous and unsightly landscapes. Then, add penalties to deeds whose citizens or major have not logged in for a certain period of time, which includes the start of decay on buildings/objects. Let undeeded !buildings! (not walls and other objects) decay a lot quicker on undeeded land so that a person willing to take care of the place can deed over it. Another possibility would be to add a mechanic to destroy undeeded houses (I honestly don't know why this is still not a possibility with the purging of closures and creation of tents).

Payment Issues

One of the most stated reasons for enjoying Wurm Unlimited over Wurm Online is the fact that Wurm Unlimited is a single-payment only game. Not saying that WO should be a single payment game, but the current payment model has to go. As I've stated earlier, currently you pay more than for your average triple A MMO with a huge and active development team. A month of premium costing 8 euros is reasonable, but the additional silver cost can easily make playing wurm online get up to 15+ euros a month, and this is for a single character and a single deed average sized deed.

The most damaging issue is the age old not working system of paying for currency. What I love about the wurm unlimited server I play on is the fact that there are a lot of ways to make money as an average player, such as hunting giving money and trader getting a decent amount of money for people to drain (although I still don't really like the trader, it could be improved to work though). Wurm online needs to get rid of this silver payment method, up the premium price slightly (10 dollars for a month sounds about fair; converted 1:1 to euros) and add ways for people to earn money in game. There's a lot of room for creativity on this subject.

-”But code club would make less money that way”

While the slight premium price increase wouldn't compensate for all of the money that isn't being spend on euros, in the long run with the player base that is being aimed for it would make a lot more money for codeclub.

Not to mention a lot of silver is being “recycled” by players who sell to other players with a reduced price on the silver.

And if you care a lot for code club, donating is always an option.

Gameplay issues

GUI

Oh, where do I start with this one? The most mentioned issue at the negative reviews section of wurm unlimited is the lack of a proper GUI, and I most agree with this. Although we have gotten used to it, for a new players it is nothing short of a nightmare. The fact that you have to open inventory, look for tools (or use the tool belt which can be equally annoying and difficult to get for a new player at a high quality anyway) in your inventory, find it, double click it and then you can finally get to what you were trying to do. I feel like the crafting interface was a huge step forward in improving this as without it, it was even more of a nightmare. But it is not enough.

My suggestion? Make tools work runescape-toolbelt style. Tools are automatically used when they're on your tool belt depending on what you're trying to do. Got a hatched on your tool belt? Right click a tree and the option to cut down is there.

Now the obvious issue would be overlap, as a carving knife and hatched for example both have different functions when used on a log. Even though this would require a bit of thinking, a possibility would be to simply merge the options, where the carving knife is used for the ones that required one and a hatchet for the options that required a hatchet.

Skill and action timers

Just going to go ahead and pierce the player base's perhaps most sensitive part, the skillgain and action timers. I remember that people kept saying that increased action timers and skill gain would make wurm online too fast thus making it boring and killing it. But the problem is that wurm online is currently not at a normal pace, it is at an extremely, extremely slow pace. Making it faster wont make it too fast, it will simply bring it closer to a normal playing pace.

The server I play on (mythmoor) has 3x action timers and 7x skill gain and I've had more fun in the 400 hours of playtime than I ever had playing wurm online and I am still going very strong with no signs of boredom so far. It actually allows me to accomplish things I could never due without throwing my life away in WO and a big player team means you'll be able to make cities bigger than it would've ever been possible in WO.

Now ofcourse, 3x timers and 7x skill gains would be a bit too much for a server designed for long term play. But the fact that both of them need to be higher is for sure and it would be up to code club to adjust that.

Remember that for hardcore players it is perfectly fine, but for new players and even regular players the game is simply too slow.

-”But Wurm Online is only meant for a small amount of players, it is a niche!”

According to who, you? I've heard this many times in wurm and I really wonder according to who it is “supposed” to be a niche game. As I've said before, people are dying for a game like this, but the super poor execution of wurm online throws them away. There is nothing inherently niche about it at all.

Whew, I'm going to take a short break.

Two thoughts.  First...

14 minutes ago, Elktazahjr said:

Edit: I'll gladly repost this in the suggestions as it had seem to have #triggered quite a lot of people, including the mod himself, which really just happens to be your average wurm player who was given a little more power than what he could handle

I can't speak with authority here because I'm not the average-wurm-player-who-was-given-a-little-more-power-than-what-he-could-handle type of guy, but I'd say your attitude might soon direct you towards a warning.  Just an observation for your own benefit.

Secondly...

14 minutes ago, Elktazahjr said:

With that aside, the current freedom server populations as I am writing this post are:

Independence: 90

Deliverance: 42

Exodus: 22!

Celebration: 15!

Pristine: 45

Release: 22!

Xanadu: 136

Chaos is also a Freedom server.  That's all. :)

Edited by Slickshot

1 minute ago, Slickshot said:

Two thoughts.  First...

I can't speak with authority here because I'm not the average-wurm-player-who-was-given-a-little-more-power-than-what-he-could-handle type of guy, but I'd say your attitude might be directing you towards a warning.  Just an observation for your own benefit.

How so? I've done nothing against the rules, and you truly have to stretch your creativity to see that as an offense to be worth as much as a warning, further proving my point.

Secondly...

Chaos is also a Freedom server.  That's all. :)

Oh right, that adds a whopping 40 now divided over 8 servers. Although I think it was obvious that I was referring to non-pvp servers.

Edited by Elktazahjr

Server Issues: Your server issues seem to be server *population* issues.  The thing is this... once you open a server, it is hard to close it without losing most/all of the people on that server. They have spent months/years building what they have and would be very upset if they were told they'd have to move. If you are making more than it costs to run that server per month is premium fees, it is worth keeping the lights on for it.

Space Issues:  Yes, buildings take a long time to collapse. I can also honestly say that a great deal of playable space is still available. Is it necessarily the best most beautiful land in all of Wurm? Maybe not, but it's still there & something you can develop into whatever you want.

Payment Issues: Please show me where AAA games that are NOT f2p charge less than $10 a month for service. Silver purchasing is 100% optional. If all you want to do is run around, build & kill stuff, you will most likely need to invest in it, but if you spend a bit of time every day, you can easily earn the few silver it costs to have your own deed. You can also *gasp* join a settlement as a villager and not be a hermit. (I prefer to be a hermit, but not being one is a valid option). Again, need to buy stuff in-game? You can earn your own way either by building things for silver or doing things for people.

GUI: Yeah, this could use a bit of a revamp. There are quite a few things that need you to use server commands or the console to do. This could be changed by adding a few menus in game, but overall, it is fairly easy to get accustomed to.

Skill & Action Timers: I played a few MMO's that had private servers open up. They (mostly) boasted high skill gains and faster everything. It was fun for a month or so, but then there was nothing left but end-game. No more "I need to do x to get better at it" it was *login* "Is x boss about to spawn? No? I guess I'll just hangout for a bit and chat then."  There was no motivation to do anything except specific end-game stuff. Even without spending your life on something in-game, you can skill up specific skills for tasks fairly quickly. Want to be a shipbuilder? Build yourself a house to get some carpentry ( and a place to sleep ), make some boat parts that you'll need, improve them as best you can for yet more skill ( and ease attaching them ), for added skill, go ahead and build all the parts you're going to need for the boat... By then you should have enough skill to build yourself a boat!  Too many MMO's are gearing themselves for zero attention span kids that want nothing more than to be as powerful as they can ( think WoW. Join & get a character to max level instantly ). Everything is about the End Game and not how you get there. Wurm is all about how you get there and the end game is just to give you something to shoot for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zethreal said:

Server Issues:  If you are making more than it costs to run that server per month is premium fees, it is worth keeping the lights on for it.

Considering from a business standpoint where maximizing profit is basically the point you'd be fired instantly as a financial adviser with that mentality.

Space Issues:  Is it necessarily the best most beautiful land in all of Wurm? Maybe not

Yep, now lets work on making that land beautiful and not just usable for people with low standards.

Payment Issues: Please show me where AAA games that are NOT f2p charge less than $10 a month for service. Silver purchasing is 100% optional. If all you want to do is run around, build & kill stuff, you will most likely need to invest in it, but if you spend a bit of time every day, you can easily earn the few silver it costs to have your own deed. You can also *gasp* join a settlement as a villager and not be a hermit. (I prefer to be a hermit, but not being one is a valid option). Again, need to buy stuff in-game? You can earn your own way either by building things for silver or doing things for people.

Oh please be real, we can all see what is truly happening in wurm online, its lame to focus on a perfect case scenario which is by far not the case. Sure buying silver is 100% optional, but good luck making any unless you enjoy working 1k digging actions for a silver coin, maybe two if the player is generous. You'd make a lot more money using that time to work in real life on a minimum wage. And as you just mentioned, this ends up forcing people to join settlements to survive whether they like it or not. I still see no reason to let players enjoy the basics barely in a *game* unless they spend tens upon hundreds on it. Most MMOs charge additional money on top of subscriptions for things that are excessive luxury for those who are equipping too much money, while most of the game is perfectly enjoyable for those who choose not to. Think slightly faster mounts, cosmetics etc.

GUI: Yeah, this could use a bit of a revamp. There are quite a few things that need you to use server commands or the console to do. This could be changed by adding a few menus in game, but overall, it is fairly easy to get accustomed to.

It's easy to get accustomed to but it does not make it any less annoying.

Skill & Action Timers: I played a few MMO's that had private servers open up. They (mostly) boasted high skill gains and faster everything. It was fun for a month or so, but then there was nothing left but end-game. No more "I need to do x to get better at it" it was *login* "Is x boss about to spawn? No? I guess I'll just hangout for a bit and chat then."  There was no motivation to do anything except specific end-game stuff. Even without spending your life on something in-game, you can skill up specific skills for tasks fairly quickly. Want to be a shipbuilder? Build yourself a house to get some carpentry ( and a place to sleep ), make some boat parts that you'll need, improve them as best you can for yet more skill ( and ease attaching them ), for added skill, go ahead and build all the parts you're going to need for the boat... By then you should have enough skill to build yourself a boat!  Too many MMO's are gearing themselves for zero attention span kids that want nothing more than to be as powerful as they can ( think WoW. Join & get a character to max level instantly ). Everything is about the End Game and not how you get there. Wurm is all about how you get there and the end game is just to give you something to shoot for.

That is truly, truly impressive if you did that on a server with decent rates. Ofcourse it's going to get boring if the action timers are somewhere around x10 and I mentioned that in my post. As for the x3 action timers and x7 skillgain server I'm playing on, I've invested approximately 400 hours in it right now and I still feel like I haven't done enough. Mastering a skill still takes a crapton of effort as skill gain decreases exponentially. I still haven't accomplished everything I want to, yet it also doesn't feel like I'm chipping at a mountain like it does in wurm online. 

Edited by Elktazahjr

I agree WO needs help keeping players and fixing issues... but it's been the same story for 8 years, this is nothing new.   And yet the game still exists, this isn't the end.

• Like 1

so much for advising to repost with a not as harsh tone...

at least it's in the right board now, we'll see how this works out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, purplenurple said:

I agree WO needs help keeping players and fixing issues... but it's been the same story for 8 years, this is nothing new.   And yet the game still exists, this isn't the end.

It isn't the end as much as it isn't the end of a grandpa barely being kept alive in a hospital. I'd rather see him breathing and well again.

Edited by Elktazahjr

9 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

seems like a better place for this topic is in the Garbage section...which we still don't have...hey wait why don't we have that section yet!?

This thread is just...a downward spiral.  It was reposted because the first one was locked for good reasons, and those reasons apparently haven't changed.  Another "wurm is dead" needless doomsayer thread that isn't helping anything.

Edited by Slickshot

25 minutes ago, purplenurple said:

Unfortunately

I have to agree with one of his points, the amount of servers in relation to active players.  The game doesn't really feel like an MMO like it did back in the day when we were all on Independence.

Also there's a good chance a lot of those players online are just alts, which makes the situation even worse than it looks.

Regarding 'Population Dilution'...

I too once thought that spreading so many players over such a huge number of servers was a bad idea...

However...

If people didn't want population dilution, it wouldn't be there. If people wanted to live in large clusters, they already can choose to do so.

It seems to me like people are 'voting with their feet' and choosing to life spread apart.

I have to agree with one of his points, the amount of servers in relation to active players.  The game doesn't really feel like an MMO like it did back in the day when we were all on Independence.

Obviously, if people wanted it to remain that way, it would. People wanted new pastures and their own place....everyone wants to be the mayor...and everyone wants 'the perfect deed', so don't want to settle for living somewhere with no iron or clay and touching someone else's perimeter.

The option is there, people aren't taking it...showing they do not want it. Those who do want to live close to others, already do.

Another problem here is that there isn't much benefit to living with others once you have a decent base of skills built up...everyone can do everything and relying on others is only necessary for very high quality or bulk items you do not wish to create yourself...but I wont get into that...that's another topic for another day.

Edited by Cheshire
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

Regarding 'Population Dilution'...

I too once thought that spreading so many players over such a huge number of servers was a bad idea...

However...

If people didn't want population dilution, it wouldn't be there. If people wanted to live in large clusters, they already can choose to do so.

It seems to me like people are 'voting with their feet' and choosing to life spread apart.

The option is there, people aren't taking it...showing they do not want it. Those who do want to live close to others, already do.

Another problem here is that there isn't much benefit to living with others once you have a decent base of skills built up...everyone can do everything and relying on others is only necessary for very high quality or bulk items you do not wish to create yourself...but I wont get into that...that's another topic for another day.

Actually what tends to happen is a cluster forms in a new area, then all but one leaves and you end up with a hermit who has invested too much to want to move to a new cluster and there are too many ruins for others to settle up easily.

There is also the fact that settling down near a big cluster can be hard since most people wall everything up...

I personally think the only real option is to shut down all servers and then run 2 new ones (would require some feature to let players keep some of their items...), a PvE server and a PvP server.  Give the PvP server the epic curve to encourage PvP play and make the PvE server sufficiently large (Xanadu sized).  The trouble is that people have invested so much time on their homes that any such move would require massive compensation from the devs to keep the existing playerbase from leaving and codeclub just don't do compensation above sleep bonus.

Cheshire I respect your opinion but I think you're taking an ultra-simplistic view on this.  It's a little more complicated than "If they wanted to be with people, they would be".  Especially when someone may have spent years and hundreds of silver on their deed, it's not that simple to just pack up and move. 

2 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I personally think the only real option is to shut down all servers and then run 2 new ones (would require some feature to let players keep some of their items...), a PvE server and a PvP server.

This might be something that you can do on a WU server.

If a WO server dies to the extend that noone lives there (doesn't happen) we could use it as a hunting server.

1 minute ago, Proximo said:

Cheshire I respect your opinion but I think you're taking an ultra-simplistic view on this.  It's a little more complicated than "If they wanted to be with people, they would be".  Especially when someone may have spent years and hundreds of silver on their deed, it's not that simple to just pack up and move. 

That money has been spent whether they move or not. (infact, by moving they could recover some of the cost by selling the deed or even just disbanding it)

Said person is either throwing good money after bad, or doesn't wish to be around other people.

If they weren't still having fun living alone, they wouldn't be.

If people aren't moving now, while they have free choice to do so, they most definitely aren't going to stick around if Rolf shuts their server down.

Edited by Cheshire

I refuse to believe what you had to say needed 2405 words, so I will skim.

- Core game mechanics aren't going anywhere. Get comfy with your timers or go to WU and turn them down.

- Price is in line with and even under modern mmos.

- GMs are a lost cause unless the issue is clearly defined in the rules. This is actually in line with modern mmos, it is just easier to notice here due to the lower population.

- Unless Rolf wants to offer me a paid job, I don't care about Rolf. I don't care about you either by the way, lots of people write essays here, you just have no concept of brevity.

- Not everyone wants to play when you decide to check the /who. Not everyone wants to play every day or week or month. Not everyone wants to play with you.

- Wurm Online isn't meant to be played one way or another. It is a service offered by a business. Many hermits are whales. Get comfy with the idea.

- Whole point of paying for a deed is to claim land. You can't claim my claimed land. Doesn't matter if I am playing, I am paying.

- "Griefers" aren't going anywhere. Change your definition, learn to get along, or git gud and fix what you don't like. Preferably with a big expensive deed.

- Infinite space on WU.

- We have had fast decay. It sucks. Its also more work for the server to do.

- Don't bring up the economy in a frickin topic multiple posts long, what is wrong with you?!

- GUI is one of those things you need to hack together in WU and show how it is done if you want to see change.

-Isn't mythmoor the one people keep getting cussed out and banned on? Legitimate question because that is what I keep hearing here. Cute that you thought putting that in there was gonna get people joining up with you though.

I really only respond for my own entertainment though. Rolf isn't gonna read your post and I feel bad for anyone on staff who chunks through it. Development is a dialogue with the consumer. Slow dialogue, slow development. You aren't helping with this. This post makes more sense in the review section for WU on steam than the suggestions section on WO.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Zerocool said:

-Isn't mythmoor the one people keep getting cussed out and banned on? Legitimate question because that is what I keep hearing here. Cute that you thought putting that in there was gonna get people joining up with you though.

It's the one whose owner cusses out absolutely anyone who disagrees with him in #wurmunlimited. I mean, I get that I rub people the wrong way, but he does it to everyone, including WO staff, Wurm developers, anyone. He's also threatened to sue Rolf/CodeClub at least twice, and has made at least one "he better hope I never see him in real life" style physical threat against staff, and that's just what he does off the server, in public, that I've noticed. Unless he undergoes some kind of revolutionary personality adjustment, his server is unlikely to last another couple of months.

Edited by Ostentatio

18 minutes ago, Zerocool said:

I refuse to believe what you had to say needed 2405 words, so I will skim.

- Price is in line with and even under modern mmos.

Infact, I would say Wurm is CHEAPER than most MMO's out there today.

Almost every MMO has some form of cash shop now...whether that's cosmetics only (still items you cannot earn ingame and thus miss out on...not to mention they are usually waaay cooler than anything else ingame) or OP items that are P2W. (Most games)

With wurm, you're spending 8e a month on a subscription and 1-2s upkeep on a deed that can be bought with the silver from your first 2 months of premium. (The bare minimum to have fun in Wurm IMO...premium anyway, the deed isn't if you wish to be a villager of someone elses)

Sure, you can theoretically spend 1000's of euros a year in Wurm (as I'm sure a few people do) but that's just icing on the cake.

Assuming you wished to purchase some additional items/silver per month, you're looking at around 20e a month to play Wurm, assuming you buy about 10s a month on top of your premium/deed.

That is more than enough to buy highly enchanted, high quality gear/tools or even run an alt.

Especially in the long run...if you were spending it all on tools/gear, you would have 120s worth of items by the end of the first year, which is enough to have a drake set, rare  highly enchanted 2h weapon and a full set of high coc skilling tools.

As for other MMOs...well, if you are looking at the majority of P2W MMOs, you could easily spend 20e a day on them if you're going after all the boosts/upgrades available etc...or buying those 'upgrade scrolls' etc for weapons that have a 10% chance of working. Realistically, a typically 'F2p' MMO with a cash shop would cost you 20e+ a month if you wish to have fun with it. (Yeah, most you can play for free but you will be missing a ton of content, levelling extremely slowly compared to others and have many limitations such as low bank/inventory space etc)

Hell, I've spent more than 20e in a month on a few 'f2p' mobile games... (Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that...but hey, I had some fun)

There is also a difference between these 2 games....

In Wurm, if you're spending 20e a month on tools/silver etc....you can still sell it back when you're done with it or no longer play.

Almost every other MMO, that is 100% lost money...unless you wish to sell via black market means, where you will either be scammed or get paid a few cents for every dollar you originally spent.

• Like 4