Sign in to follow this  
Wyndolm

Westerham Beach

Westerham Beach

The vision of Westerham Beach is a mideval village with mostly timber frame and some stone houses in the center with some farmland around it. A very good example of such a village is Quedlinburg.

33515207-640x303.jpg

Here is a link to a panorama of the marketplace of Quedlinburg: https://www.quedlinburg.de/de/panorama.html?Panorama=03

The settlement of Westerham Beach is located at the North West coast of Newspring island, to the right of Deadwater Port. The coordinate is S8 on the map found here: http://xanadu-wurm.rhcloud.com/.

Westerham Beach is a citizen and new player friendly settlement. The center of the city is the settlement token which is standing at the 'Plaza' together with a public mail box and an altar of Nahjo. Around this plaza are four public buildings, two of them are already built and the other two await construction. Around this center plaza and public buildings are the houses of the citizens. The South and East border of the settlement are farmland areas.

Currently there is a public Workshop that provides forges, ovens, kilns, floor looms and other stuff to help get new players started. The world famous Olive Grove Inn provides also some beds and free food for new citizens as well as travellers. There is also a public warehouse that is mainly intended to store wood, dirt, rock and some other stuff which comes from de-foresting or flattening parts of the settlement. The contents of the warehouse is used for public buildings or by anyone who needs some of that material.

A lot more public buildings are planned for the future such as a dry dock, mall, dockside warehouses, docks and lighthouse, church and cemetery, public pens and garage, viewing towers, another inn at the port and whatever is missing or cool. And of course Westerham Beach Castle which isn't even planned yet but needs to be started soon for some reason.

A large mine, which is mostly part of the settlement, provides a lot of different resources for crafters such as iron, lead, tin, copper, silver, gold. We are still searching marble, slate and zinc.

The deity of Westerham Beach is Nahjo. There is an altar of Nahjo at the plaza as well as in the mine. The church will hold more altars of different deities once finished.

Westerham Beach is Recruiting

New citizens and new players are welcome to the settlement. You need to be premium to get citizen though and should have played the game already for a few days since we are not too interested in citizens leaving ruins of half finished houses behind when leaving after week of playing WO. Also reading and sticking to the rules outlined at the bottom of this text is expected. Our current citizens here and in Deadwater Port are very nice and helpful. Contact Gorgul or Wyndolm in game if interested. Citizenship is free.

Tourist and Citizen Guide

The center of the village is the Westerham Beach Plaza with the settlement token, an altar of Nahjo and an ultrafast mail box. In the background visible is the public warehouse used to store excess logs, dirt and rocks for community use and two ships which are currently built on the road that goes down to the docks.

wb_plaza_and_boats.jpg

On the other side of the plaza located is the public workshop which offers some forges, ovens, kilns and other tools that a new player might not have. There is also the central fountain of Westerham Beach intentionally close to the workshop.

wb_workshop.jpg

At the South / East corner of Westerham Beach is the Olive Grove Inn next to the farmland plots and the olive grove which supplies the oil for our off-deed lamps.

wb_ogi_outside.jpg

The following image shows the inside of the Olive Grove Inn. It offers free food and an oven for the traveller as well as for new citizens. On the upper floor are four bedrooms for travellers and citizens who don't have a bed yet.

ogi_inside.jpg

Also at the southern end of Westerham Beach is one of the farmland areas. Here you can see the 'soft flattening' for farmland as described in the rules. It basically makes the area look a lot more natural and realistic as opposed to completely flattened areas with occasional steep slopes that look pretty artificial.

wb_s_farmland.jpg

Westerham Beach Rules

Like any community we have a few rules that citizens should respect.

• Be nice to each other and use common sense.
  • Respect other peoples possessions. Not all farmland (like mine) has fences around but that is not meant as an invitation for others to use them as their farmland. Stick to your plot and ask before you do anything on a part of the settlement that is obviously not yours. The same holds true for animal pens on other citizens properties, even when they are not locked they are not yours!
  • Stuff stored in bsb's or crates in public houses such as the public warehouse or the public workshop is public. Either remove your stuff and bring it to your home if you want to keep it or leave it there if others are allowed to use it. The bsb's in the public workshop are mainly just intermediate storage until you are done with your work.

Houses / Construction

• Houses in the city should have timber frame and/or stone walls. Wooden houses are only allowed on farmland for shacks etc.
  • The house in the city should only have some garden around it but no fields or pens
  • Fields and pens are separated from the city and located at the South and East border of the settlement. Each citizen gets a plot for his house in the city and one for farmland if he/she wants it.

Mining

• Always mine forward, not up or down and don't mine the floor or ceiling.
  • Do not tunnel into from outside or outside from inside the mine. Only mine inside tiles.
  • When mining rock please mine in the large room at the beginning of the mine or try to make the main tunnels wider.
  • Don't extend the mine outside it's current limits. Prospecting and searching is Gorguls task and he is an expert prospector digging in a certain pattern for that matter.

Terraforming (Levelling / Flattening)

• Slopes >20 are not allowed on deed, nowhere!
  • When flattening / levelling terrain try to preserve the natural flow of the landscape and average out where you dig and drop dirt. Best is to level only parts that need to be precisely level such as house tiles or road tiles. Especially farmland doesn't need to be flat as a plank. Fields can be planted on tiles with slopes <= 8 when upper and lower edge is flat and slopes <=6 if upper/lower edge isn't flat (as a rule of thumb). A good example of this 'soft' flattening is my pen area and the area around the Olive Grove Inn.

Contact

Gorgul - Mayor of Westerham Beach

Wyndolm - Main character and Gorgul's slave driver

Edited by Wyndolm