Sign in to follow this  
Zentorno

Paint terrain to Reinforce cave walls

Hello there, im trying to reinforce cave walls in my tunnel but it refuses to work for me. If i go with the "Change terrain" option it works on the tile, but setting data on the wand to the value 203 and then selecting "paint terrain" on a tile does nothing.

After setting it to 203 it gives the following in events: [12:01:48] You quietly mumble: -1, -1 as well as -53, i've changed it to 1, 1 but 203 always sets it to -53 (which i found all numbers over 100 seem to do and they work outside)

i have tried both as Arch and as Implementor but it doesnt make a difference, what am i doing wrong or cant i paint cave walls with reinforcements ?

Tl:dr cant change wand to value 203 to paint cave walls

this is a failsave measure.

paint terrain is supposed to only work on floor tiles outside, cave walls and floors need to be set separate (any value above 159 is a cave tile type and will refuse).

EDIT: just found that the max value for the auxdata is 127 - it will revert the above values to a negative value, but it is still working for 'paint terrain'

So in short, can not use paint terrain inside?. But change terrain works just more annoying.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2016 at 2:43 AM, Zentorno said:

So in short, can not use paint terrain inside?. But change terrain works just more annoying.

Can the paint terrain simply not work if your using a terrain not appropriate to the area?  If the AUXDATA is an overland terrain it shouldn't work underground and vice-versa. 

I think the problem can't deal with the values needed for the underground terrains, as it sees them as negative numbers. It is a coding issue if that is true, but one I don't think the devs would see as a priority.

small update -

paint terrain should soon be available for ArchGM+ on single tiles on the cave layer

(i can not check if it is on WU already)

be aware of this issue though:

paint terrain simply changes the tile and does not check for creatures/items like the GM-repair and you would end up with creatures/items dropping to water level instead of them being destroyed - you should remove all items/creatures off 'Cave'-tiles you want to change to prevent this

On 16.2.2016 at 4:04 AM, Lichbane said:

Can the paint terrain simply not work if your using a terrain not appropriate to the area?  If the AUXDATA is an overland terrain it shouldn't work underground and vice-versa. 

except CaveExit the inappropriate tile values "should" be blacklisted by now.

On 16.2.2016 at 4:56 AM, Romen said:

I think the problem can't deal with the values needed for the underground terrains, as it sees them as negative numbers. ...

paint terrain works with negative auxdata on the wand.

8 hours ago, KaiH said:

small update -

paint terrain should soon be available for ArchGM+ on single tiles on the cave layer

(i can not check if it is on WU already)

paint terrain works with negative auxdata on the wand.

I hope it gets pushed out to WU soon.  It'll make content creation that much quicker. :)

bump
is any news on this?
the last post was 10 months ago

On 21/02/2016 at 1:16 PM, KaiH said:

small update -

Edited by Steveleeb

I have no issues using paint 203 and 207 inside caves. Workes just fine for reinforcing..

GM power 5.

are you talking about paint_terrain?
because when i try to program the Ebony wand with 203 this occurs;
`You quietly mumble: 1892, 345 as well as -53`

When i try to program the wand with 207 this occurs;
`You quietly mumble: 1892, 345 as well as -49`

as expected, neither 203 nor 207 are programmable
Rank level 5

are we playing different games?
This thread is about paint_terrain not change terrain.
what am i missing?
it's fine i just summon a whole load of reinforcements and float about trying not to clip through the ceiling.
but you, confuse me.

Edited by Steveleeb

The ebony wand can only be programmed for 128 positive numbers, (0-127), any number above that 'wraps around' to become a negative number, so 203 becomes -53.

This is common, but confusing when you only have 256 possible numbers and the range is -127 to 127.

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 1

yes indeed. however, the command (keybind) <paint_terrain> does not recognise -53 or -49 as valid inputs.. nothing happens when it is applied to the correct surface.

Jukken, is saying that it works fine.
this is the confusion.

He probably means change terrain despite how clear Zentornos post was

Edited by Steveleeb

I've figured out the conflict.

right click > paint terrain works with the negative values.
keybind > paint_terrain does not. 
I was referring to the keybind. 

mystery solved. thank you for the replies.
(i had assumed right click > paint did not work either, the functionality suits me fine. i sent Zentorno a link to this thread just in case it's still relevant to him)

Edited by Steveleeb

Use the action mod that bdew created - client mod.

It basically allows you to specify any action that is visible in the right-click menu by providing you with the action id.

You can indeed keybind the action that way to get around the default limitations.

I think 604 is the paint terrain action id so here's what I would do if this is true

1) open console

2) bind g "act 604 hover"

3) setdata on the wand so that it's 1,1,207 (to do reinforced cave floors when underground)

4) type g on a cave floor and watch it change

Bdew's mod is absolutely fantastic for keybind related things like this.

• Like 1