Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Road Building slopes

I am trying to figure out the best way to build roads. I know 20 is the usual maximum recommended slope. I am wondering if there are special cutoff slopes that maximize speed, specifically animal drawn carts and horseback, where going 1 slope more slows down substantially, kind of like the way weight slows down first to 75% than 25%. I know that just a couple slope starts the slowdown. I saw someone did a very thorough examination of slopes and limits, but not speed. K

I would also be curious if anyone has done comparison of 10 x 20 slope + 10 flat vs 20 x 10 slope time wise.

i usually try to have roads with the lowest slope possible. Horses / carts are usually not the trouble (can go up to 40 afterall) but wurmians on foot will suffer way more from harder slopes if they are targetted by mobs.

I don't have that much data to offer you though than a lot of playtime.

speed comparison is a nice therotical thing, but practical it is usually the best to have the lowest slope possible that still fits in your plans.

when doing a highway of 400+ tiles you just go with the terrain because the benefit is way lower than the 'cost' if you consider what is needed for dirt moving from A to B

on deed you usually dont have all the space to have no slope over 12 which is a good slope for walking, but that depends on your deed setup of course.

It's always best to adapt the road to the surrounding terrain. If you make a flat road in a hilly landscape you'll only end up with a road that noone can enter when coming into it from the sides and roads like that might be "perfect" but they're also completely useless.

• Like 2