Sign in to follow this  
Kier

Wurm population

I sold my account a few months ago and im looking to rejoin wurm but im just wondering, where is the majority of the wurm population at the moment? Is wurm online still dominant or has everyone shifted over to wurm unlimited?

The seems to have about the same numbers really on WU vs WO and I have seen growth on Independence lately it is not that far behind Xanadu considering the size difference. 

Right now..

WU = 784 players

WO = 867 players

Edited by Kegan

Talk of declining populations tends to be amusing for me.

Granted I started playing when there was a far lower playerbase. For example when Wild's /who jumped over 10, a raid was ongoing.

Also Sye's battle chicken... and shaft pvp was the bomb.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

People are leaving WO by the week, So the population thinned out in several areas. However if your looking for the "Long standing" Players who have been here since forever, Just anywhere on independence really, They never leave. Determined to stay forever. 

If your looking for the prime population, Currently WO Is more but its losing players quicker then a f2p mmo. WU has more of a friendlier community than WO does currently, Except for Mythmoor, thats pretty toxic, its like wurm online but on wurm unlimited~. 

Personal recommendation, Play Wurm Unlimited, Its easier to get back into, No fee's, People are chill, Relaxed, Griefing gets handled as you would expect it to, And best of all, You can use the nick-names you wish you could use but get banned for using, Such as God, YourMaster, PwnageMaster, Bondage, Etc. 

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2016 at 5:41 PM, akaedis said:

People are leaving WO by the week, So the population thinned out in several areas. However if your looking for the "Long standing" Players who have been here since forever, Just anywhere on independence really, They never leave. Determined to stay forever. 

If your looking for the prime population, Currently WO Is more but its losing players quicker then a f2p mmo. WU has more of a friendlier community than WO does currently, Except for Mythmoor, thats pretty toxic, its like wurm online but on wurm unlimited~. 

Personal recommendation, Play Wurm Unlimited, Its easier to get back into, No fee's, People are chill, Relaxed, Griefing gets handled as you would expect it to, And best of all, You can use the nick-names you wish you could use but get banned for using, Such as God, YourMaster, PwnageMaster, Bondage, Etc. 

See, I disagree.  I'd recommend playing WO over WU any day.  WO actually has "official" staff whereas in WU you're basically taking your chances that whoever is running the server is a decent person who won't bend the rules for their own gain.  Also, WO has a bigger player base as a whole than WU, and showing your contribution to the game as a whole is really only accomplished by playing WO (premium commitment).  That's my take on it, anyhow.

Basically, play WO, not WU.  Play on Independence.

• Like 2

Depends on your play style if you like MMO experiences or just playing with a few friends

think about this; your projects might get deleted because the owner of wu server gets bored/decides to mod a file. 

Ik what i play and why. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

think about this; your projects might get deleted because the owner of wu server gets bored/decides to mod a file. 

Ik what i play and why. 

And thats what single player is for.... WO isn't gonna be here in 20 years, Or 10 years at the rate its going, At the rate that its dropping, i doubt it will even see 2018. 

Also, All the projects iv done so far on WU are still there, And im not treasuring them like there my first born, and so what if it does disappear. ill just rebuild it but this time with the like 50 thousand changes i wanted to do but never got around TO do. a perk of WU is those 50,000 bricks aren't 100s, Those 50,000 bricks are a weeks worth of work, Not real cash. Easily replaceable through good times, friends, and a little bit of work. Whereas on WO Its like "OMG I LOST 2000$ USD OMFG SCREW DIS GAME **FUS ROH DAH** *Kicks table*

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 5

On 2/1/2016 at 10:47 PM, akaedis said:

And thats what single player is for.... WO isn't gonna be here in 20 years, Or 10 years at the rate its going, At the rate that its dropping, i doubt it will even see 2018. 

Also, All the projects iv done so far on WU are still there, And im not treasuring them like there my first born, and so what if it does disappear. ill just rebuild it but this time with the like 50 thousand changes i wanted to do but never got around TO do. a perk of WU is those 50,000 bricks aren't 100s, Those 50,000 bricks are a weeks worth of work, Not real cash. Easily replaceable through good times, friends, and a little bit of work. Whereas on WO Its like "OMG I LOST 2000$ USD OMFG SCREW DIS GAME **FUS ROH DAH** *Kicks table*

I'm sorry but you're delusional.  If you honestly believe that a player-ran server is more secure than servers hosted at the behest of the company then you haven't been paying attention.  I've been playing WO for 7 years (not sure how long you've been playing), so I know that the official servers are very secure.  WU has been out for only a few months, and there are already complaints about people who change their own rules on a whim and ruin the gameplay of others out of spite or greed.  I'll repeat that.  It has been merely a few months, and WU already has negative feedback when it comes to how some servers are handled.  Stretch that out over 10 years (the life of WO so far) and then come back and tell me it's more secure.  Pipe dream buddy.

Edit:  Let me clarify to say that I know the WO servers have changed over the years, whether they be added to, wiped, recreated or merged.  However, that has happened only a very very few times over the course of 10 years.  History speaks for itself on this accord.  WU has no lengthy history worth respectable comparison, but it has already caused some grief in it's short existence thus far.  More is surely to come.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 3

Just want to add and bring a point in 

WU = 784 players

WO = 867 players

Where did this figure come in from is there a chart? Link please.

But my real point is do to the ability of some mods for WU like priest restriction now you got a mod you can be priest and crafter at same time no need for that extra priest account and x time skill gains no need for the slave alt to grind brick. 

About 95% of WU player base is alt free and actual players where as WO

WO=867

Jack has 5 accounts 1 craftier, 1 slave, 3 priest he plays so his 5 accounts are actually 1 player so 867 - 4 = 863 real total

Paul has 3 accounts 1 craftier, 1 slave, 1 priest he plays all at same time grinding each he rep's 1 player 863 - 2 = 861 real total

Keep doing this to all the people who have multiple accounts logged in all the time and you will get the actual number of players on WO.

This would take a lot of digging to get a real actual number of the real population for WO. Just because players have multiple accounts logged in should never be counted as actual players Bot's are Bot's and will always be a Bot.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I'm sorry but you're delusional.  If you honestly believe that a player-ran server is more secure than servers hosted at the behest of the company then you haven't been paying attention.  I've been playing WO for 7 years (not sure how long you've been playing), so I know that the official servers are very secure.  WU has been out for only a few months, and there are already complaints about people who change their own rules on a whim and ruin the gameplay of others out of spite or greed.  I'll repeat that.  It has been merely a few months, and WU already has negative feedback when it comes to how some servers are handled.  Stretch that out over 10 years (the life of WO so far) and then come back and tell me it's more secure.  Pipe dream buddy.

Edit:  Let me clarify to say that I know the WO servers have changed over the years, whether they be added to, wiped, recreated or merged.  However, that has happened only a very very few times over the course of 10 years.  History speaks for itself on this accord.  WU has no lengthy history worth respectable comparison, but it has already caused some grief in it's short existence thus far.  More is surely to come.

I'm not trying to crack on you but WU is new part of WO and you want to compare it's success to a 10+ year old game? You not even going to give WU a year or 2 before you speak?

What will you say a year or 2 from now if WU is going strong on at least 5 well known servers run by players and some if not all of WO servers might be shut down Regardless what Rolf and the dev team say now?

Take EverQuest. There was a group of people who started up a EQ server that was illegal and had it running for several years to only have SOE at the time come and support them for running that server.

There are SWG servers running now still after 6+ years when the game was shut down.

WO has had smack talk as well and bad remarks every game does. 

I'm clearly stating Rolf can assure you now but even he can't see the future no one can so he can say it now but at any point in time life can throw a curve ball at him and it can crumble same goes for a person running a server on the side but chances are if Rolf gets a curve ball the game will go on in one of the WU servers from other players.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Okay, Lets break down your post.

"I'm sorry but you're delusional. " no argument there, Im partially crazy too btw~

" If you honestly believe that a player-ran server is more secure than servers hosted at the behest of the company then you haven't been paying attention."

If you believe the internet is secure, Your an idiot and a fool. Nothing is truly secure, I got sent a rootkit just a few months ago through an exploit with automatic font downloading, Insane isn't it, Never DL anything or visit anything shady links and still got it through an exploit with a exploit in the firewall. Anyways thats off topic. If your referring to the longevity of WO as a company, Yes it does have its history to back it, But something you are blindly ignoring is WU Is a brand new game following a new path of much more successful series of games such as Garrys Mod, HL2 mods(too many to count), WoW Private servers, CS 1.6 and so on. WU Will FAR outlast WO, I can guarantee you that with absolutely no current history to back it up, History of other games expose that fact VERY well. 

"WU has been out for only a few months, and there are already complaints about people who change their own rules on a whim and ruin the gameplay of others out of spite or greed.  I'll repeat that.  It has been merely a few months, and WU already has negative feedback when it comes to how some servers are handled. "

Well ofcourse theres going to be negative feedback, Id be astonished, quite literally astonished if it didn't get negative feedback about servers. Like im not kidding here, There is NO GAME ANYWHERE that has no negative feedback. And to burst your bubble, Wurm Online has much more significant amounts of negative feedback than its counter-part Wurm Unlimited currently does. However you won't find any negative feedback on WO Forums due to moderation deleting and hiding posts. My posts will be deleted in a few days tops to btw. That to hurts WO's credibility as a company you know, no player anywhere takes kindly to finding out all negative reviews or opinions have been deleted. 

"Stretch that out over 10 years (the life of WO so far) and then come back and tell me it's more secure.  Pipe dream buddy."

In 10 years, Theres still gonna be WU servers, Theres probably going to be atleast three that have been there since the launch of WU, Its not some pipe dream. Its peoples determination to play the game they love. People still love Battlefield: Bad Company 2, They STILL play that game you know, Even tho BF3, BF4 and hardline are all out, Theres still a huge active community on BF:BC2 and they won't go away until BF:BC3 comes out. It'l be EXACTLY the same way with Wurm Unlimited, People will still be there until some sort of new Wurm Unlimited 2 or a superior replacement comes along to replace it. 

"Edit:  Let me clarify to say that I know the WO servers have changed over the years, whether they be added to, wiped, recreated or merged.  However, that has happened only a very very few times over the course of 10 years.  History speaks for itself on this accord.  WU has no lengthy history worth respectable comparison, but it has already caused some grief in it's short existence thus far.  More is surely to come."

Heres what happens when WO servers wipe: The game dies, boom, gone, forever. 50%-75% of it will quit right then and there, if not more.

heres what happens when WU server wipe: They move servers, Usually to a more populated server. Just the other day(maybe a week now), a 20 player-base server shut down, ran out of funding, they all decided to come play on the server im on, About 8 of them decided to play here, others went to go try PvP server desolation. None of them from what i heard said there quitting, just changing servers, Thats all. WO doesn't have that kind of an option, It will literally lose most of its players if its database went boom. Lots of players are only here because they can either make money, or have superiority in the community, Or have a ranking here, Or have something here they worked on that they'd like to keep. Remove all that for an instant and they won't come back because its a much harder loss then some WU server loss. specially when it literally took YEARS for you to build up whatever you had in WO whereas it only took me three months to build up what i had in WO. Does that make the game boring? Hell no, Iv been having much more fun there than i have in quite some time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

WU has been out for only a few months, and there are already complaints about people who change their own rules on a whim and ruin the gameplay of others out of spite or greed.  I'll repeat that.  It has been merely a few months, and WU already has negative feedback when it comes to how some servers are handled.

Excuse me sir, but your balloon appears to be made of swiss cheese.

You are posting on the Salt Online forums, please check the Town square first page before making that comparison with such faith.

Wurm Unlimited offers a great short term, no obligations style of gameplay. This is great if you're looking for a quick fix, but nothing substantial. Perfect for PvP.

Wurm Online offers the permanence and security that non-sanctioned servers on WU servers can't provide.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dairuka said:

Wurm Online offers the permanence and security that non-sanctioned servers on WU servers can't provide.

I think with a dedicated dev team that could change. It has worked pretty well for the MineYourMind guys with Minecraft so far.

4 minutes ago, Zerocool said:

I think with a dedicated dev team that could change. It has worked pretty well for the MineYourMind guys with Minecraft so far.

That kind of reputation takes time. Much more time than Wurm Unlimited has existed.

Until such a reputation can be established, every single server is a gamble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dairuka said:

That kind of reputation takes time. Much more time than Wurm Unlimited has existed.

Until such a reputation can be established, every single server is a gamble.

Everythings a gamble, Not "just because its not wurm online". Ditch the double standard here.

WU Is in the same boat as minecraft, garrys mod, BF:BC2 and basically every other game that has player run servers now. YOU need to find what is worth investing time and what isn't. IE Don't join some server called "Wurm Unlimited" that has 1/15 players on it. Odd's of that lasting are not high while a server thats 100/255 daily has a much higher probability of lasting much longer. No owner anywhere will ever just "give up" a community unless theres active reason to do so such as confrontation, drama etc. Even if a owner loses interest(Which does happen atleast several times a year with any community), They pass it off to there staff team to run it and maintain the server until the owner returns. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akaedis said:

Everythings a gamble, Not "just because its not wurm online". Ditch the double standard here.

WU Is in the same boat as minecraft, garrys mod, BF:BC2 and basically every other game that has player run servers now. YOU need to find what is worth investing time and what isn't. IE Don't join some server called "Wurm Unlimited" that has 1/15 players on it. Odd's of that lasting are not high while a server thats 100/255 daily has a much higher probability of lasting much longer. No owner anywhere will ever just "give up" a community unless theres active reason to do so such as confrontation, drama etc. Even if a owner loses interest(Which does happen atleast several times a year with any community), They pass it off to there staff team to run it and maintain the server until the owner returns. 

I was going to say you're 100% correct until the drama llama takes over, but you already listed that.

Wurm Online is still a safe bet, as opposed to the untested, relatively new servers of Wurm Unlimited. They could be ghost towns like 7 Days to Die in a matter of six months after release. They could be around for the next decade. It's too early to tell. What I do know, is even the best run private servers have issues with administration. Wurm Online's strength is it's permanence and security.

Edited by Dairuka

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

Jack has 5 accounts 1 craftier, 1 slave, 3 priest he plays so his 5 accounts are actually 1 player so 867 - 4 = 863 real total

Paul has 3 accounts 1 craftier, 1 slave, 1 priest he plays all at same time grinding each he rep's 1 player 863 - 2 = 861 real total

The math above disturbs me, cause if I play with 5 premed toons it is 5 paying players/toons even if I am only one physically.

I guess his logic is that if you leave you take five accounts with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arkonick said:

WO=867

Except most players I've seen who have multiple accounts premium only have 1 or 2 on at a time. Sure. There may be a couple of people who will be as you say, but most really aren't.

Edited by Lotus1

Just to clarify about which will last longer, WU or WO. Chances are? WU.

There's going to be one nut out there that's keeping up his server as the rest of us are exploring the Milkway galaxy. Now what are the chances of finding this legendary server? Probably pretty low. You're going to get burned a lot when a good looking server goes down for reason X Y Z.

So, yes, there are servers of different games lasting well official servers. But remember...those servers are in the minority and picking that one (with all your hundreds, thousands of hours invested in) is a real gamble.

The safe bet is the official server since more likely than not it'll be around in five years. How many WU servers can say the same? Very few...if any.

(Though the rate that Rolf keeps dispersing the population with Xanadu and WU, I don't want to imagine what the population might look like in five years.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mclovin said:

Ik what i play and why. 

man....you deserve nobel prize

Just to say as a WU server holder my server will be running for more than 4 years. On the day I finish all my studying and schooling on game development and start my own full out mmo Survival game I will hand my server off to another dedicated player.

I just haven't decided yet to open Foreverlands to the public till I decide it will remain locked. A ton of people would want to play on my server cause I don't speed things up I keep them WO style and speed but till such time I will keep it locked but yes my server will run for more than 4 years from this date. After I finish my schooling I might even keep it going longer but if i decide to not run it do to time working on my own project yes I would pass it along to another hard core player.

There are lot's of dedicated WO players who will run WU servers like me.