Sign in to follow this  
Emoo

General Warning to Players from all servers (PvE and PvP) about "Magical Walls"

Hey guys I just wanted to issue a general warning to the player base about Magical walls since the recent "fix" done by the Dev team has done absolutely nothing to curb the obvious problems with this mechanic. 

For those of you who don't know  a typical "Magical Walls" are a karma spell gained by using a Sorcery Item, they cost 400 karma to cast and have a cast time of around 10seconds. It is cast on a tile border and acts as a physical wall that lasts 2 to 10mins ingame depending on the cast power. The good thing about this is that the spell was made to be interrupted by players moving onto the tiles next to the tile border it's being cast on. The primary reason for this was players kept getting bugged into these walls in PvP situations and dying which was pretty lame. 

Now we get to these broken "Magical Walls" these walls are cast by using source salt which is gained by boiling source liquid. After the latest patch for this it uses 0.05kg source salt to cast one wall with a timer between 5 and 3.5seconds. The worst part of all of this despite the obviously broken timer compared to the vastly more expensive to cast and more difficult spell that sorcerers get is that the source magical wall does not have the same code as the other magical wall to prevent players getting walled in. Meaning if this gets cast near a tile border you're stood on you'll get stuck in the wall teleporting and have to relog to fix yourself. You will also be kicked off any mount that you're boarded on. 

So to put this in perspective a player like myself in Australia who has 300ping to the wurm servers (because Rolf moved them from the US to Europe) I have to be able to react and get myself out of situations in under 5 seconds otherwise the enemy can literally bug me into a wall and dismount me. Not only that but 4 players can wall in an entire tile in under 5 seconds ignoring player positioning which would normally block such an action and take much longer which has a ton of different uses which can be used to grief people.

Now up until now I've mainly focused on the PvP problems with such a low cost, fast and broken "spell" and PvE players might be wondering why should they care? Well, because this isn't classified as "building" per say this spell can be used anywhere on freedom (by free players aswell) to grief others. In most situations the worst you'll have to worry about you'll just have to keep relogging someone wants to cast this on the tile you're stood by. In the worst case scenario they can cast this on you while you're mounted on a untamed horse, kick you off it and while you're powerlessly stuck in the wall. Lead it away and steal it! Those are just the first couple of situations that come to mind but I'm sure there are plenty of other applications for greifers such as blocking highways etc etc. 

Anyway, if you're a dev and have read this please look at the way sorcery items work (which you have to kill a unique to get then spend 400karma to cast and doesn't allow you to bug other players) and then compare that to the difficulty of getting 0.05kg source liquid and boiling it then casting it on players to bug them. Then perhaps you'll understand why people might be upset by this mechanic which allows players to intentionally stuck other players. As for everyone else reading this, please just be careful out there. Regardless of what server you play on this is something you need to be aware of. 

EDIT: 

I've also just confirmed that WoA can be cast on the source salt for faster cast time meaning that 2second cast times are now possible using this method. Which just adds to how hilariously silly this whole thing is. 

Here is a video for reference showing 5 second casts to cast 4 walls using .2kg (after the latest patch). 

[video removed]

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Edited by solmark
Moderation Edit
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Emoo said:

The video I've posted with the thread is using Source Salt (as shown in the video) and is consuming the post patch amount (0.05kg instead of 0.01kg). So it is clearly still possible to do as demonstrated.  

I would say that is intended tbh, caus people were using 1 source salt to do it many many times. Having to use a big chunk would limit the previous abuse caus source salt cannot be combined.

Ofcourse it would be possible with source liquid, but I can see the usage limiting a lot caus of that, in case of source salt from crystals, it was like....

Edited by Hashirama

just remove this devs, or atleast make it so players can't get bugged into the wall 

Just now, Hashirama said:

I would say that is intended tbh, caus people were using 1 source salt to do it many many times. Having to use a big chunk would limit the previous abuse caus source salt cannot be combined.

0.05kg per cast is not a big chunk, if you carry 1kg on you that's 20 casts. I think you should go ahead and actually read my post about boiling source salt to get these usable chunks instead of jumping to attempting to troll my post which is designed to simply warn people. 

I've also just confirmed that WoA (and presumably BoTD) affects the speed of casting the magical wall meaning a 1kg lump can have a 90+WoA cast and get a 2second cast. Which is just another aspect of this problem that needs to be fixed. 

+1

Just balance the timer with the sorcery spell which has been around for a very long time ( and nobody has complained about ), and also to make the sorcery spell viable, increase the duration of their walls, maybe?

Walling people in on PvE shouldn't be much of a concern, since that's possible now. Sure, not in 20 seconds but regardless. If they're doing more than one cycle of salt walls around you, then you're AFK long enough to have real walls built around you.

Nobody has ever complained about the sorcery spell, nor have I seen it used. Clearly it needs a step up itself, so balance source salts with the spell that was never complained about, and buff the summon wall sorcery spell.

I don't know if this is some new mechanic or what, but I think source salt shenanigans can be fun.

the biggest thing is making it so that players don't get bugged into the wall like they currently do

and it probably needs a longer cast timer (and prevent woa from working on it)

Edited by TradingAlt
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

the biggest thing is making it so that players don't get bugged into the wall like they currently do

and it probably needs a longer cast timer (and prevent woa from working on it)

+1 to this.

One time when I was a champion, my ally created a rock wall that kicked me off my horse. Then a drakespirit came and killed my horse. Then JK came and killed me as I was cruising along at 15kmh on my backup.

+1 to getting rid of these even more broken rock walls

1 minute ago, Aflacduck said:

One time when I was a champion, my ally created a rock wall that kicked me off my horse. Then a drakespirit came and killed my horse. Then JK came and killed me as I was cruising along at 15kmh on my backup.

+1 to getting rid of these even more broken rock walls

5 bucks says Inventor did that!

When i came across this I thought it was a bug... very surprised its not.

Just incase anyone need an overview of the two and how they work to see why it needs to be re-balanced let me just set it out so it's easily to compare the two

Valeri Magic Wall

Requirements: Blue Tome from killing unique

Cost to cast: 400 karma

Speed of cast timer: 10 seconds minimum

Additional Notes: Blocked by players so they cannot be bugged into the walls. 

Source Magic Wall

Requirements: 0.05 source salt gathered from source liquid

Cost to cast: 50 karma (Equivalent)

Speed of cast timer: 2 seconds minimum

Additional Notes: Not blocked by players so they can be bugged into the wall.

If anyone has anymore more additional info on the topic please post it or PM me :) 

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 1

first of all, I applaud your song choice 

second, the number of instances of players glitching into walls needs to be addressed - not just this, but also people getting stuck in walls as they are built

last, cast timer needs to be balanced

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MisterTeddy said:

the number of instances of players glitching into walls needs to be addressed - not just this, but also people getting stuck in walls as they are built

I lost a champ life because I walked over a wall my friend was finishing and wasn't listening to him when he said that the wall was almost complete. Although unfortunate, it happens - and it definitely would be awesome to have fixed.

• Like 1

Yep, glitching in walls is not for this one only. Hence the entire issue needs to be addressed and not just THESE "MAGIC WALLS" lol

Replace broken walls with a 5 to 15 second root spell and be done with it. 

21 minutes ago, Emoo said:

The problem here is that we've been told that after this change everything is "working as intended".

Ok, fair enough. Doesn't quite fit in the suggestions section either since even though there are suggestions here, the topic isn't one.

Retrograde friend said the other night he is always collecting feedback, I'd say this qualifies. Try poking at him?

Edited by Zerocool
  • Like 1

yeah, eliminate this from pve servers for sure.  pvp... I get so confused what is considered ok and not ok, when the basic rule is to kill each other and seal the victim's sh-t, lol.

Hi all,

This has been raised with the development team to be looked at further, I can't guarantee immediate results but I will let you all know of any outcome.

-Retrograde

Remove this and leave stone wall casting to just having the blue tome.

• Like 3

So wait, because of one incident involving the magic stone walls that have been in the game since at least 2013 ( and unchanged ) now people are begging to remove it like it's a game-breaking bug? You guys are ridiculous.

Just balance it with the blue tome, and then buff the blue tome to compensate for them being weak in comparison.

By the looks of things, the mechanic has been around longer than Jukimo has.
Could we not remove him, instead? :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stik said:

So wait, because of one incident involving the magic stone walls that have been in the game since at least 2013 ( and unchanged ) now people are begging to remove it like it's a game-breaking bug? You guys are ridiculous.

Just balance it with the blue tome, and then buff the blue tome to compensate for them being weak in comparison.

By the looks of things, the mechanic has been around longer than Jukimo has.
Could we not remove him, instead? :P

Well I can see only two people who've even come close to suggesting.

For me personally like pretty much everyone else I've spoken to, the primary factors that needs to be addressed is: 

1) Players not being able to become stuck in the wall and become bugged (This is 100% the biggest concern obviously)

2) Bring the timer back to something more reasonable and balanced (eg 10 seconds like the Blue Tome) 

3) Look at increasing the cost abit more so it's atleast equivalent of using a charge from the Blue Tome or if not that adding a high cooldown in-between being able to weave a new wall to compensate for the low cost. 

Hopefully Retograde and the Devs will address each of aspects and we'll end up with something which will make PvP alittle more interesting but without breaking it.  

:) 

• Like 2