Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

New Oil for Burning in Lamps/Fire Place

So for filling of lamps and now fireplaces automatically within a 24 tile perimeter on deed we have the huge oil barrel. This barrel will hold up to 2,250kg's of liquid. Impressive isn't it, what I don't understand is why this mechanic is limited to olives. If you wanted to fill the barrel with olive oil you would need to harvest 12,500 olive tree's, that is assuming each olive tree has a olive during olive season. Chances are, maybe 2 out of 3 olive trees will bear this little fruit and then you must turn this olive into oil, so depending on your skill the amount of olive tree's needed to harvest to fill this barrel to the top could well go beyond requiring a person to harvest 20,000 trees.

Don't forget that making olive oil use's the beverage skill, for oil that is not actually used as a beverage.

Is this wurm logic at its best?

What we need is an alternative fuel, one that is more readily available year around such as tar, and a means to turn this tar into oil and in-turn giving us more options for filling lamps and huge oil barrels.

Save the olive's for compass building and of course the martini.

• Like 3

peat as i mentioned in the other post, makes a lot more sense a full for fireplace and would add a real use.  Not sure botanize counts as a use as never heard anyone excited about botanizing the local peat.

In an olive season, i can gather 300+ olives. U just need to know where the groves are.

1 or 2 trees on deed is enough for your oil needs season to seaon, (dont forget olive season is twice a year).

• Like 1

whales would not burn well...i mean how would even get them in the fireplace ;)

Seriously, they are a pita to find and not all that easy to kill even when you lure them to shore.  Once agro'd they about like a hardened troll

Not saying it saying it is a bad idea, would be kinda cool to get blubber and use for oil.  Seals should be useful like this too

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 1

fat, all kind of fat, boil it or whatever to make oil. and of course adjust the fat amount on animals... *look at seals and whales*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils

After looking through that list of vegetable oils, it seems that oil can be extracted from many of the plant products we currently have in Wurm. There are a few oils which are ideal for use as lamp fuel, olive oil apparently being preferred.

Aside from enabling all kinds of seeds and fruits to be pressed for oil, these would be the few most reasonable plants to use:

- Corn (does not currently have a unique purpose; food item and weak healing cover ingredient)

- Cotton

- Wemp

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

So for filling of lamps and now fireplaces automatically within a 24 tile perimeter on deed we have the huge oil barrel. This barrel will hold up to 2,250kg's of liquid. Impressive isn't it, what I don't understand is why this mechanic is limited to olives. If you wanted to fill the barrel with olive oil you would need to harvest 12,500 olive tree's, that is assuming each olive tree has a olive during olive season. Chances are, maybe 2 out of 3 olive trees will bear this little fruit and then you must turn this olive into oil, so depending on your skill the amount of olive tree's needed to harvest to fill this barrel to the top could well go beyond requiring a person to harvest 20,000 trees.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think you need to fill the barrel? Oil lasts a long time, and you don't need anything even close to that amount.

Why even need a oil barrel? I don't need that for my lamps.

Why do I need it for my fireplace?

And tar is an exellent, easy to carry, fuel.

Well why wouldn't you want to fill the barrel (OCD), I actually have no idea how much olive oil a deed with a few hundred lamps and brazier pillars would go through. Does it fill the ones in the mine too? It says within 24 of perimeter in the wiki, does this mean a 24 perimeter from the barrel or 24 perimeter of the deed?

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Well why wouldn't you want to fill the barrel (OCD), I actually have no idea how much olive oil a deed with a few hundred lamps and brazier pillars would go through. Does it fill the ones in the mine too? It says within 24 of perimeter in the wiki, does this mean a 24 perimeter from the barrel or 24 perimeter of the deed?

Your deed doesn't need oil for the lamps; lamps on-deed never run out. The oil barrel is only for off-deed lamp-filling by a templar, and now for fireplaces.

And yes, it works on lamps in mines.

+1 for an alternative fuel for barrels. I don't like olive trees and have no desire to humour them.

13 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

peat as i mentioned in the other post, makes a lot more sense a full for fireplace and would add a real use.  Not sure botanize counts as a use as never heard anyone excited about botanizing the local peat.

Not everyone deeded a peat patch, tar is plentiful and a lot easier to find.

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Not everyone deeded a peat patch, tar is plentiful and a lot easier to find.

I did not deed one.  Tar is closer, it just seems wasteful that even moss has more uses than peat.  Besides peat is more appropriate as a solid alternative fuel during this time period, Tar was mainly used as it is currently in worm, which is as a sealant.  

11 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils

After looking through that list of vegetable oils, it seems that oil can be extracted from many of the plant products we currently have in Wurm. There are a few oils which are ideal for use as lamp fuel, olive oil apparently being preferred.

Aside from enabling all kinds of seeds and fruits to be pressed for oil, these would be the few most reasonable plants to use:

- Corn (does not currently have a unique purpose; food item and weak healing cover ingredient)

- Cotton

- Wemp

I agree with the OP in that there should be another alternative for filling oil barrels. This quote is a good idea too, along with a new *Oil Press* item in-game that could be used to press oil out of many different objects already in the game.

This would still not be too easy-mode for the Devs to object to since making the press and using it to create these oils would still involve some timed process. These oils should also be able to be used in Lanterns and Lamps as another alternate fuel if desired.

=Ayes=

• Like 1