Sign in to follow this  
moogien

Make animal taming give a chance that the animal becoming domesticated

As topic says let there be a chance that a wild animal  becomes domesticated when taming it.

If it becomes domesticated , no longer will be counted as tamed.

Then you would be able use it as a regular horse or any other animals that doesnt need taming to be lead or hitched, age shouldnt matter in this case.

Maybe the chance should be very low like getting a supreme.

• Like 10

+1 Really cool ideea! You will be able to have pets/mounts and not be worried about them getting killed  by other animals or templars.

Love it.

One of the nicest ideas I've read in a long time!

+1 +1 +1

I fully support this as well, but the chance certainly shouldn't be as low as "getting a supreme"; It may as well not be a feature at that point.

• Like 1

Seeing as Animal Husbandry has no supremes and only expenses, it would be very nice.

• Like 1

Devs! What OP said! NAO! 

54566406.jpg

If you don't add this, you'll be intentionally acting in detriment of all kittens.

• Like 2

+1 to having a chance to turn them blue if taming high enough :)

#maketamingmoreuseful

As someone with over 70 in both Taming and Husbandry I find this an interesting idea, but I`m wary of the consequences.

On 27/01/2016 at 9:39 AM, moogien said:

Then you would be able use it as a regular horse or any other animals that doesnt need taming to be lead or hitched, age shouldnt matter in this case.

From the wording, I`m interpreting the OP as being about hellhorses.

As far as I know, the only red outlined mobs that are both tamable and hitchable are bears and hellhorses. Domesticated bears pulling a cart, novelty item, fair enough as they`re still inferior to equipped horses. But hellhorses are a different story. If hellhorses are allowed to become domesticated and become 'blue' with no age restrictions on hitching (the branding changes have already negated a downside to hitching hellhorses now that you can change equipment while still hitched) then normal horses are almost rendered obsolete.

Only those without the required body control will use normal horses as personal mounts until they can upgrade. Which raises another issue regarding the pvp aspect, with potentially raising the bar for entry into pvp. Domesticated hellhorses would become the standard (obviously it does depend on how difficult it is to domesticate them, but pretty much everyone would start grinding to do it), so anyone only able to ride a regular horse is at a mobility disadvantage. And because the hellhorse itself no longer requires taming, then the rider can tow something big and nasty along behind for extra clout in a fight.

I would say that stuff like bears/cats/wolves, no problem. But the hell creatures? Nope, no domestication.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kaldari said:

As far as I know, the only red outlined mobs that are both tamable and hitchable are bears and hellhorses. Domesticated bears pulling a cart, novelty item, fair enough as they`re still inferior to equipped horses. But hellhorses are a different story. If hellhorses are allowed to become domesticated and become 'blue' with no age restrictions on hitching (the branding changes have already negated a downside to hitching hellhorses now that you can change equipment while still hitched) then normal horses are almost rendered obsolete.

Only those without the required body control will use normal horses as personal mounts until they can upgrade. Which raises another issue regarding the pvp aspect, with potentially raising the bar for entry into pvp. Domesticated hellhorses would become the standard (obviously it does depend on how difficult it is to domesticate them, but pretty much everyone would start grinding to do it), so anyone only able to ride a regular horse is at a mobility disadvantage. And because the hellhorse itself no longer requires taming, then the rider can tow something big and nasty along behind for extra clout in a fight.

all im getting from this is you crying because you spent alot of time grinding taming (an utterly useless skill because tamed animals are primary agro of red mobs....)  becuase you knew few ppl have it that high, and dont want to see more ppl grinding it because its actually usefull

43 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

all im getting from this is you crying because you spent alot of time grinding taming (an utterly useless skill because tamed animals are primary agro of red mobs....)  becuase you knew few ppl have it that high, and dont want to see more ppl grinding it because its actually usefull

Oh, I knew what levels of skill other people have? I didn`t know that I knew, thanks for telling me. Hmm, remind me, who are you again? I don`t recall telling you why I chose to raise any skill in the game.

The OP posted a suggestion. It interests me, but I pointed out likely negative outcomes with one of the creatures.

Anyway, it`s late, and I`m off to bed, but rest assured that I`m not losing any sleep over what other people are doing.

Grind every skill, or stand and starve, I really don`t care what people do with their premium time. They paid for it, not me.

Well this would be fun, no aggro HH-ses, raiding getting much easier. I would be OK for PvE side and not sure about PvP side. So +1 to PvE as i really dont see any harm of having stuff like that ingame there for people who can and bother with it, but -1 for non aggro HH-ses.

For myself i have no problems using hell horses , used them for 2+ years hitched to cart.

My taming and body control is high enough to handle them or ride them and i am also a Fo-priest.

People have already started use hell horses more frequently hitched to carts / wagons because they dont attack the driver.

I can agree to that it may be less use of normal horses, so maybe hell horses shouldnt this happen with, only with real wild animals.

My idea was that make it as a rare roll no matter of skill, but it shouldnt be easy, as getting a blue, imo to easy.

Thats why i said let it be tough as getting a supreme.

+1, but only if domestication is NOT passed down through breeding.  It would finally make animal taming count for something (cats that don't try to murder you!)

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1, but only if domestication is NOT passed down through breeding.  It would finally make animal taming count for something (cats that don't try to murder you!)

You raise a very good point.

The offspring would definitely have to be born feral, as behavior doesn't affect genetics long story short.

BUT.... 

It would make for a single person breeding aggro creatures way more viable as you'd be able to wean the offspring without the risk of the parent eating its young while you try to find that exact distance where you can lead (as in out of combat but close enough to lead).

Never did get PvP's whole resistance to taming as a useful skill under the guise of "imagine someone joining a raid with three hell hounds" ... that would be considered a FEATURE in pretty much any self-respecting MMO with a pet system.  Besides, in theory, would help make up for the small numbers on PvP, as a 5 vs 5 fight would sorta grow into a 10 vs 10.  "Do I kill him or his hell hounds first?" 

• Like 1

On 27.1.2016 at 10:39 AM, moogien said:

As topic says let there be a chance that a wild animal  becomes domesticated when taming it.

If it becomes domesticated , no longer will be counted as tamed.

Maybe the chance should be very low like getting a supreme.

+1 for doing something with taming. As it stands now taming is next to useless, even more so when compared to a priest's dominate ability.

-1 for the actual suggestion, sorry. No more RNG magic ("a chance") please. :) Instead we need a mechanic to make everyday taming interesting and providing something useful to the player.

I think that's a very cool idea.

+1

8 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

but only if domestication is NOT passed down through breeding.  It would finally make animal taming count for something (cats that don't try to murder you!)

seconded

9 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

im not seeing the problem with there being the standard chance of this being passed via breeding, like horse colors?

especially for hostile domesticated creatures...

because if it's passed down through breeding, in time there will be plenty of stock to buy and no point in trying to tame a wild one.

which is fine but it ruins the original idea.

even if they require being tamed, there will be plenty of stock to buy and no point in taming a wild one unless you choose to.

Many ideas and thoughts here, Eobersig said not by chance , well its the best i could com up with.

If not by chance just by skill with a limit , like each 20 levels you can choose to domesticate a animal tamed by you.

for example at 10  next 30 , 50, 70 , 90 . that would make total of 5 domesticated animals.

How to handle trading of domesticated animals i have no clue :)

Breeding wouldnt pass the domesticate then.

For the record i had a odd situation 2 years ago with a champion wildcat , my taming around 70 back then.

It was tamed and i prayed a lot and got this messages, randomly

[07:10:56] You start to pray at the altar of Fo.
[07:11:20] Venerable champion wild cat suddenly seems more loyal.
[07:11:20] You finish your prayer to Fo.

then suddenly i coudnt tame it anymore.

[23:52:54] You start to tame the Venerable fat champion wild cat.
[23:52:59] After taming you will start taming again.
[23:53:01] A venerable fat champion wild cat eats an unicorn meat.
[23:53:01] Venerable fat champion wild cat is already tame, so you don't learn anything new.
[23:53:01] Your taming does not seem to have any effect.

Never figured out what was making this happen.

One day a troll spawned near that wildcat and killed it for me. So once domesticated the tamed status shouldnt be there

and it should not be possible tame it more unless you undomesticate it.

Edited by moogien
Changed a name.

That would be a decent compromise, once domesticated, an animal is no longer good for taming exp (or give the exp of a young fat pushover rooster).