Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Movement System Updates

Today saw a few restarts as we implemented improvements on the movement system. The end result is a system that is more accurate in regards to location and improved movement within the game.

There were a few bugs (and bruises) as this was implemented but we are confident most, if not all have been eliminated. If you notice any issues with movement or displacement, please post them in the bug report section of our forums here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/28-server-bugs/

• Like 1

This has been updated with observations after the second fix restart - nothing appears to be fixed, though it appears that you can travel slightly further before the problems start.

Edited by Wulfmaer
update the link to other thread, was broken by the subject change...

my ally is still getting booted from his boat.  This wasn't fixed

What is this? This updates should be at least tested be4 implemented.

Soon as I raise my anchoor, get spit out of the boat 50% of the times.

Sailing at 13km per hour I keep getting the message saying I need to move slower.

I stop moving and soon as it says I can move again it spits me out of the boat.

Or also Im sailing and boat spits me out teleporting.

This was suppose to be an update? Game is broken for me since it was updated then.

Edit: and takes me like at leat 10 or 15seconds to cross a gate now....

Edited by Tuga

Xanadu chat after last update:

>> oh doors please open

door and moving lag is awful, at least on Xanadu

I am not sure it worked...I cannot even drive across my deed now without being sideways for 1-2 tiles and fishtailing everywhere. Then i an into a wall and thought i had avoided being spit out only to be spit out 20 seconds later...I was 2 tiles away from wagon near where i thought i had avoided being kicked where i got the "embark" context menu.

I have one other alt on so not area lag or anything.  To be clear my gaming system does not get lag and just short of commercial gigabit, i can load all seven characters with forges going in high rez along with ESO in PvP and WU client and dedicated server while surfing web...i guess i can say *have* done it without lag in any of them.  Wurm is 2% cpu for both clients and less than 8% memory.

Seriously this is pretty much *UNPLAYABLE* for at least as far as using a wagon or going through doors, since that is what i need to do right now...  And just got hurt going down stairs???  

Please fix, i give up for now

Edited by ClericGunem

1. door wont work properly
  2. Options in menu take longer to appear
  3. Horses on cart going in all directions, impossible to use.

Please look in to this since it's close to impossible to move around

10 years later and you'd think rolf would tell the dev team his mistakes of releasing stuff like this without a proper beta public test

• Like 1

I agree that Xanadu is pretty much unplayable, unless you stand at a bulk bin grinding away - avoiding any sort of movement. Sorry, bad update.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CubeManV2 said:

10 years later and you'd think rolf would tell the dev team his mistakes of releasing stuff like this without a proper beta public test

I'm not even sure why this was needed in the first place. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, atazs said:

I'm not even sure why this was needed in the first place. 

Probably for a future bigger "plan". The positioning system over-longterm play gets slightly off. Maybe this system was going to fix it and make it more accurate. It may have worked on their test server for the whole "dev team" but apply the code to a server with hundreds of people on it, or entire clusters and the servers can't keep up. My WU Server with 15-20 players on it can use 2-3GB ram easy and is 1/4th the size of Chaos and CPU around 10-15% with an i7. Imagine hundreds of players with whats suppose to be an even more accurate player positioning system and you just scream trouble. Not even getting into the writing this game does to hard drives which is nuts (Not sure how much player positioning plays into that)

This update better not be pushed to WU

Edited by CubeManV2

No lag at all sitting by the forge imping stuff.. it only happens when i try to move, walk outside , or anything that involves changing location, the server doesn't seem to keep up with the movements and lags behind.

If i drop something, i find it 2-3 tiles behind me, i have to wait a few seconds at a door to enter, but it's probably not because of the permissions, it's because the server only "knows" that i'm at that door with a big delay..

Very bad update, revert

Edited by faty

No love for the bridge dismount bug from this?  I'm disappointed.

Not trying to be an ass or anything but any chance this will be fixed today?  

We're continuing to look at it. It seems to be related to xanadu size and amount of players, which makes it difficult to test, as it works perfectly on the test servers.

Thank you for the update. Hopefully there will be a fix before too long

I understand, someone did not verify the O{h)...it happens.  I was curious as when i return from work I suppose i will try to make my way to 1/4 server and play there until fixed.  

And thank you for the update

Edited by ClericGunem

16 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We're continuing to look at it. It seems to be related to xanadu size and amount of players, which makes it difficult to test, as it works perfectly on the test servers.

Frankly, there needs to be some way for the developers to test changes like this on large, populous servers. I don't know what that would be, but some changes simply are not very scalable, and it really sucks to only find that out by making the most populated server borderline-unplayable while the problem is resolved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

Frankly, there needs to be some way for the developers to test changes like this on large, populous servers. I don't know what that would be, but some changes simply are not very scalable, and it really sucks to only find that out by making the most populated server borderline-unplayable while the problem is resolved.

Most game companies create test servers in worst case and have unit test bots doing a few hundred different tasks...e.g. one bot chopping tree (maybe 1ql), one imping sword (99ql sword with 99.9ql lump and 50 ws)....this would be the first time i have seen a game developer not have one so i assume when they say test server they mean a different than the one we see.  But if it does not affect a 1/4 server like release (or maybe not as noticeable) then this is a purely mathematical issue which could have been caught without a clone of Xanadu, I fix these types of errors in my job; though not always actually fixable...not gonna solve a P vs NP problem any time soon :) 

• Like 1

As of few minutes ago i logged in and it seems to be better.   Or at less the delay is about what it was before the change

Edit. Actually the slight delay at a door seems slightly better than before to be fair

Edited by ClericGunem

Sign in to follow this