Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

Use Rake to Harvest

So it turns out that I am a noob and had no idea that a rake was not needed to harvest crops. I knew you used Scythe for harvesting grains and assumed you were using the rake for harvesting other crops. You do not, lol. No activated item is required.

Please change farming so that the rake or another tool is used so that we can benefit from the quality increase from rare. i.e. Rare rake would produce crops one ql higher than your skill level, supreme 2ql, fantastic (because there are so many of those) 3ql higher.

• Like 2

Rake is used for tending and it will increase how many you harvest.  I'm told the rare will increase it more but that is very hard if not impossible to judge.  I do not want to see the rake used in harvesting because then we might also get hit with the well you might get 50q harvest or you might get 80q.  I'm fine with knowing what I am about to get.

Harvesting with a rake gives you farming experience, harvesting without one ("by hand") gives nature experience, so there's the difference.

• Like 4

Every other resource can increase QL by harvesting with a rare (except forage). Why not farming?

What would be the disadvantage?

*reread Pashka post. I guess that would be the drawback; couldn't add the chance for higher ql without the chance for lower ql.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Edited by Aeryck

59 minutes ago, Zakerak said:

great idea and we should have equipped fork in one hand and knife in other hand to be able to eat meals

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fork

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Knife_%28cutlery%29

/sarcasm off

no thanks, why change something (with possible risk of unexpected bad effects), while it works pretty fine for years

I know someone who just made a rare spoon and supreme fork who would be 100% behind this idea.

• Like 1

Just did a small test in order to see about skill gains without a rake activated.  I had never heard anything about any differences.  Of course not having tested it, decided I would.  I got all the same skill gains that you would think you would get.  Nature, soul, soul depth, farming, body, body strength (yes you do get this with farming).  so there is no difference as far as skill gain if you are holding a rake or not.

Also tested timer because I was asked about it.  There was no difference.

Good information to have even if it wasn't exactly what I expected.

Edited by Pashka

11 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Every other resource can increase QL by harvesting with a rare (except forage). Why not farming?

What would be the disadvantage?

Farming gets maximum quality every action. I'll take that over RNG nearly any day of the week.

So farming would get the advantage of having rares boosting maximum quality AND get maximum quality every harvest? No thanks. Not unless you buff all the other skills first.

On 1/21/2016 at 9:13 AM, Evening said:

Harvesting with a rake gives you farming experience, harvesting without one ("by hand") gives nature experience, so there's the difference.

Does a farming skill check either way, as Pashka said.

-1 for a requirement, farming is tedious enough as is

+ 1

why isnt farming more randomized like the rest... im sick of crops being worthless... make it more interesting and make scythe required to harvest all, then randomize it so that farmers have a better grasp in the economy and toss in rare +1ql and so on, it wouldnt make much difference other than ppl would actually want high ql scythes and lower the abundance of 90+ ql crops on the market

Edited by Evilreaper
im stoopid

6 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

why isnt farming more randomized like the rest... im sick of crops being worthless... make it more interesting and make scythe required to harvest all, then randomize it so that farmers have a better grasp in the economy and toss in rare +1ql and so on, it wouldnt make much difference other than ppl would actually want high ql scythes and lower the abundance of 90+ ql crops on the market

So then this would be a +1?

2 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

So then this would be a +1?

indeed, fixed it, lol

Edited by Evilreaper

2 hours ago, Evilreaper said:

+ 1

so we should make a daily chore even more mindnumbing for the economy? no thanks...

• Like 1

Having the rake as an option is fine imho. Sure it could also help increase one's gain in produce.

Wish the same could be said for the scythe, but ah well.

Harvesting is fine as is, that said I have no problem with rare tools if used to harvest giving higher ql or an increase in amount.

Harvesting crops without a rake needing to be activated is one of the better features of the game because the timer is based upon your farming skill, not upon any tool effect. This equalizes the skill between all players on this basis, meaning no "uber" enchanted, rare tool influence can be imposed upon this. Get your skill higher and you benefit.

im sick of crops being worthless...  lower the abundance of 90+ ql crops on the market

Crops are very far from being "worthless" since they serve various purposes in game other than lining the pockets with coins of those who sell them. Furthermore, those who can harvest 90+ QL crops have put in a lot of time and effort to be able to do so. One of the great things about harvesting crops is that they will always turn out to be the quality of the farming skill, in spite of the nerf that was applied concerning the number per harvest. No need to mess with this system as suggested to its negative effect.

=Ayes=