Sign in to follow this  
Silberry

Lost my silver coins ... I think

Hello,

I'm a bit insecure and don't know what to think, so maybe someone can help me. I don't know what happened to the silver coins I bought along with my first premium membership. I withdrew them from the bank because I wanted to have the silver with me in case I found a nice place for a settlement (I thought that I needed the silver with me when placing a deed). I'm pretty sure I put them in a chest in my first (locked) shack when I got there because my other (found) coins are still there and I don't usually like to carry anything valuable with me if I go exploring or just cutting wood/getting new water.

I died a bit later, in an area that is small but full of trees and also has boars, bears and hellhounds from time to time. Unfortunately, since you can't see the direction when you're running, I don't know where I died exactly. Being convinced that I didn't have anything valuable on me I didn't go back very fast to look for my corpse. Then I started to move my stuff from my first shack to another area where I wanted to build a bigger hut and suddenly found that my silver coins were missing.

I've tried looking for my corpse since then but haven't found it so far, so I can't be completely certain that I didn't have the coins on me when I died. But it seems so unlike me ... and I'm not sure if the corpse may have disappeared by now.

It's kind of bothered me since then that the game just "ate" my 8 Euros and I'm not exactly sure whether I should just accept that this was my own fault (me just being a noob and not knowing all these things) or if this was a bug (or something that should never be possible in the first place by design). This is keeping me from buying new coins as well ... it just doesn't sit right with me. And then there's the possibility that the money just disappeared from my shack due to some bug or game mechanic that I don't know (money doesn't decay, does it?).

I just don't know what to do with it. Has anything like that happened to you? Or is there any way to find out how the money got lost? That would be some kind of reassurance I think.

Silberry

Edited by Silberry

sorry to hear that mate. unfortunately when you have silvers in your inventory and you die, they are left in your corpse. corpse usually stays as a corpse for a week (as only you can loot it), and after just disappears, leaving all your inventory items, including silver coins you had in your inventory, on the ground, thus anyone can take them. 

• Like 1

I live near you. I'll look you up next time I am on and see if I can locate your corpse with my priest.

Either way; coin goes in bank unless you are visiting a merchant.

• Like 3

Wow, thanks Aeryck. Are you sure you're in my area though (I'm on Xanadu, quite a way up from Lormere)? There hardly is anybody online when I'm on. Thanks a lot for the offer! I'll probably be online in about 1,5-2 hours.

well if they can't find your corpse, I  imagine a treasure hunt is in order ;)

What you can do (bit of a job) to get to know where you left those coins, is read through your event-logs starting when you got the coins out of your bank. It will tell if you put them in that chest, or accidentally dropped them somewhere, or anything else you did with them. If you have searched eventlog very well and never read about them leaving your inventory in whatever way, then you can be certain they were in your inventory when you died (so on your corpse, or after that decayed in the pile-of-items left at the place of your corpse) (of course someone may have found that pile and taken it...).

Way to find your eventlogs: go to where your game is saved, then look under players > character you had the coins on > logs > eventlogs.

I hope you find them, or at least find out where they went. Maybe you are like me: I tend to put the most precious things 'in a special place where I can't lose them'... and then forget what that place was,. ;) thinking all the time when looking for them again that they 'should be in the usual place I put things'.

• Like 1

Found your corpse but no coin on it. If you died more than once your old corpse has already popped. Try this ^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aeryck said:

Found your corpse but no coin on it. 

easiest 8s aeryck has ever made

Just kidding, you're a good dude for helping him find his corpse. At least now he knows that they should be somewhere around his house.

Welcome to Wurm, Silberry. Just in case no one explained, always keep your money in the Bank (token). When placing a deed the money comes straight from there.

There is almost no reason to have it in your inventory and remember you can withdraw your money at any token and most markets have a nearby token anyway so might as well leave it in there as storage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stik said:

easiest 8s aeryck has ever made

Corpse still protected, just a couple of sprouts on it. I figured you were joking but so OP knows I didn't take it ;)

You're not talking about the skeleton on the road near Hazedome (at the crossing) are you? That's my latest corpse, thanks to some mad crocodile who followed me almost all the way from Snoo village to Hazedome. :D

Good to know though, I'll have a look into that event log (thanks, Kianga). Probably filled with exciting lists of "you almost made a plank but it's useless" but I guess there's worse reads. ;)

Edited by Silberry

If you use wurm assistant it will help you go faster through the logs, just look for 'coin' or 'silver'.

I volunteer to bring an alt and help you find your 'lost treasure' in case the logs don't reveal anything.. i love me some treasure hunts :)

Mhmm, I went through the event log quickly and it looks like I died before I could even put the silver in my chest. In a completely different area. I was trying to get back to Hammer Lake area from Lormere, and all I know then is I was attacked by some old raging black wolf and died.

Guess I'll have a look around the area where this probably happened. You never know.

Oh, and should somebody find my loot and give me the 7 silver back I'll give the honest person 1 silver and a bonus item. Nothing great but I don't have a lot I could give away. :)

Treasure hunt sounds fun though. Does that kind of thing happen often or what are you normally hunting for?

Sil use your event log to see the last deed you visited before dying. Note the time you left the deed and the time you died. Then try traveling from that deed in the direction of your home and stop when you have travelled that same amount of time. The corpse has already popped since my Locate cast only revealed 1 corpse. You'll be looking for a pile. Unfortunately since it is a pile now anyone may have looted it. I know all the locals though and only 2 are not in my alliance and few people pass by our way. Chances are good that it is still there. I'll get you the names of the 2 that are not in our alliance.

Unless I don't know exactly how locate works and maybe it won't tell you there are other corpses if you are out of range. I'll ask in CA tonight if someone else doesn't answer here.

We (me and faty) checked the most probable locations already. The last settlement in my log was Mountain View, but I was attacked 17 minutes later without going through another settlement and died from my wounds shortly after. It was probably somewhere in the area between Mountain View (next to Bearfoot Vinyard) and Antioch or even as far as Hazedome. But the area is big and wild, even though I usually try to stay on roads when I travel.

I might have gone lost and ended up somewhere around Peris(?) as well, I sometimes forget which road to take to travel east in that corner. But I can't remember that particular death at all which is strange.

Thanks for everybody who helped so far, this is kind of a fun quest on its own. :)

Edited by Silberry

If you lost it near Perls chances are good that Rocklobstar or Perl have found it. If near Antioch that is the 2 people who are not in alliance so no telling. SW side of Antioch is very hilly and thick trees  so easy to lose stuff. Do you remember if it was on a gravel road?

I'm having a look at the moment for that old raging wolf, with reveal creatue it might give us a good idea were you died

I found the old raging wolf...but it's the area of the huge walnut forest...the odds of me finding your coins in that are astronomically low i think. Apologies if i got your hopes up...maybe next winter it will be easier to locate next winter.

Edited by Rocklobstar

Walnut forest? It gets more and more interesting. Thanks for looking! :)

Although I think the wolf will probably be decayed by now (it was on the 28th).

From what I understood, Silberry managed to kill the wolf, so it's not the one you found Rocklobstar. After killing the wolf she continued her journey, only to finally die from the wounds. If this happened on the main road, probably someone saw the corpse and the contents and waited for the 48 hours to get the coins, which is the most probable situation.

The only other possibility is that before dying, Silberry got of the main road and died somewhere in the forest, in which case depending on the contents of the inventory, the coins are in a pile, or on the ground if the rest is decayed (which would make it even harder to find).

15 minutes ago, faty said:

... waited for the 48 hours to get the coins

Is it absolutely 48 hours? I could swear it feels like I see corpses for longer than that. It could be my imagination though.

unfortunately yes : http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Death

Generally, your corpse will last around a real-life week on deed but 48 hours off deed. After that, it will decay and the items that were on it will be a pile of items on the ground where you died, and no longer protected. If your corpse is on a deed tile that does not allow picking up of items, it is possible that others may not be able to loot your corpse, even if you do release it. However, you always have the right to loot your own corpse.

I didn't kill the wolf, I wish I had (I saw the combat log, at least I tried). ;)

Thanks for your help anyway guys I guess I'll just let it rest.

Edited by Silberry