Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

[Addressed] Cared For animals dieing

Animals being cared for dies for no reasons, no diseases, not venerable, not starving.

Reccurent issues happening for different players, on different animals.

I had it happen a few times over the years, never could figure out why.  Would be nice to see this worked on or maybe at least explained.

i guess the deed ratio is good?

If so this is not good news i just got two sheep that spawned on my new island and if they die i will be really sad, lol

I had an Old Fat Bison (male, cared for) die today on my deed. I wasn't there but noticed when I came back.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 16.973684. Optimal is 15.0 or more.This is a good figure.

I already butchered and buried before I realized it may be a bug, so I didn't do support.

I have never really looked at tile per animal thing i dont keep that many but at 16 that is higher then 15 so is that to high? From what i understand is you have 16 animals per tile and the optimal was 15 per tile so you are overcrowding. 

Edit: I just checked mine and it is at 11 and i dont have very many animals at all so i might be thinking wrong on how it works, lol

Edited by Kegan

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 251.22223. Optimal is 15.0 or more.This is a good figure.

as said there, higher than 15 is good. now to know why the hell those deaths happens.

Well i guess i have to many animals on my deed then guess i need to go kill a few, lol

according to WU code cared for creatures can not die of age. They can only die because of wounds, suffocation in rock or cave ins, be sacrificed, some spells and miscarriage.

Miscarriages can happen if they are hungry and have low fat or the village has a bad creature ratio.

• Like 2

which was not my case, hence the thread and the fact it's occuring to others players (at least on deliverance) which might indicate a trouble somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, ago said:

according to WU code cared for creatures can not die of age. They can only die because of wounds, suffocation in rock or cave ins, be sacrificed, some spells and miscarriage.

Miscarriages can happen if they are hungry and have low fat or the village has a bad creature ratio.

The important thing is to sort out how they died, to identify if there is indeed a bug and where it is. :) Disease is also a factor, which can be caused by the ratio as ago mentioned above.

Ah right. I missed that call which handles starvation and disease.

I had a cared-for horse die for no reason, all circumstances were fine.

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

I had a cared-for horse die for no reason, all circumstances were fine.

Do you happen to recall the name and when it died?

What about negative traits? I forget if any of those can cause death in spite of "cared for" status.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, was anyone having this occur prior to, say, a month or two ago? I'm wondering if a recent change may account for this that nobody has noticed yet.

Edited by Ostentatio

I have cared for horses that are probly 5 plus years old.  They were before the wipe and long before that.  They do not leave my deed for any reason whatsoever.  I know others that had cared for animals that were taken off deed for whatever reason and they died.  Perhaps they lived longer than normal but they did still die.  Good luck figuring it out though.

Maybe they died because all of a sudden they weren't cared for anymore... I seem to remember we have had that bug earlier (suddenly care-fors 'falling off') (and of course then the horse dies one day later- and who in their right mind goes checking cared-for horses every day to see if they are still cared for - so this would happen without us noticing it is the care-for itself falling off that is the cause).

At least keep this in mind as possible cause...

I had at least 4 good cared for horzses dead yesterday. (At least I belive some were cared for, they were in my breeding pens so were those I had choosen to keep.)

Awen and I logged on today to find our cared for female tortoise dead. Considering the current rarity of these animals, this is very disturbing. Support ticket accomplished nothing unfortunately. with over 26 animal ratio, pen by itself, no diseases, not pregnant at the time of death, not starving, and no guard towers close enough to attack her... All neg traits had been removed long before this as well. 

On 12/14/2015 at 8:16 PM, Keenan said:

Do you happen to recall the name and when it died?

This was some time ago, his name was Coolman which is why I kept him. I'm gonna get a stroke though if my rare cared-for animals start dropping off.

13 hours ago, koroth said:

All neg traits had been removed long before this as well. 

hmm.  This brings to mind something that was told to me a long time ago but I don't know how true it is.  I was told that when you remove negative traits, you have to remove them while young, before the animal reaches it's first growth stage, and that if it's removed after that it will disappear from being seen when you examine but the effect is still there.  Anyone know if this is true?  If so it could possibly have something to do with this.

From what I've seen in the code I'd say Genesis has an immediate effect. Even if the animal is already at the second stage.

That genisis issue was in regards to the Illness trait, which slowly lowers an animals strength making it unable to pull carts or be ridden. " Body strength will slowly reduce over time eventually making the animal unrideable "  I believe the issue in getting Genesis early was, Genesis does not undo past strength loss so an animal can have illness removed yet still be unable to work if enough strength was already reduced. It should not be fatal.  Most negative traits only affect speed not health, the other "relevant" negative trait, "Feeble & Unhealthy", makes an animal more disease-prone however there should still be some warning that the animal is diseased. Sometimes if I check my logs for the animals name, I can catch a clue, "old diseased Something grazes" as I passed it at one point, so I realize I missed spotting a disease. This happened to one of my wagon horses that was too young to die of old age, and I wanted to know why it died (I was afraid the new fence height code made it possible for people to shoot from above, but was able to rule that out, my logs finally gave me the disease solution) .  That wagon was not near any other animals (except the other 3 hitched) so I was not expecting it to be diseased. 

The other possible negative trait would be the old CORRUPTION trait bug hitting Freedom animals. Corruption is not supposed to exist on PVE but it has in the past. It takes 43 AH to even see so it can be easy to miss in time.  It can affect both newborn and adult animals when the bug exists. Animals with corruption cannot eat grass or anything but mycelium.  I would start having people with 43AH or higher check all of your animals just to be certain this bug has not returned.

See this post for when it affected Freedom animals earlier this year:

A final question is, does the player who originally CARED for the animal, still play and have premium on that same server? I used to have a lot of horses "Cared" by people who left the game or the server  years earlier, I kept them as it gave me a "free" immortal horse, but it is possible devs have changed the code so that people  no longer can "Care" for animals if they left the server 6 or 12 or 72 months ago. Also people could Care for a max number of animals on one server, cross to anomther server and Care for their max all over again as Care slots are unique to each server.  If they are changing the code to allow easier server crossings they might also have done something wit the animal coding.  Checked my "immortals" and they all seem fine, I am leaning now more towards diseased or corrupted but never noticed as a probable cause. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Bumping that one back to the top. Cared for tortoise died after the restart.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 279.36734. Optimal is 15.0 or more.This is a good figure.

• Like 1

lost my champ dog today. same deed with the insanely high ratio. Venerable dog. Plenty of food around.

I know those are just "pixels and line of codes" for most, but they also are gifts from friends and loosing them one after another is quite annoying. Can we have something done please?

• Like 3