Sign in to follow this  
Nicrolis

Community Map Poll! New Map Dump?

New Map???  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should I bother trying to make a new map using the New Map Dump, while maintaining the old one?

• yes
    • no
    • doesn't matter either way

Been thinking about possibly trying to make another map, using the new map dump. This was debated a bit before, but was rejected because of the possible clutter causing issues. My proposal is that I have 2 versions of the map. Original Map dump AND the New Map Dump. Are you interested? Or should I save my self some time?

Ive messed around a bit with importing it with the same overlay. It MOSTLY lines up perfectly. There are some roads that i will have to adjust, not a big deal. If this is wanted by the community I would not mind doing it. I might even do it just for myself for fun XD

Edit: This will run for 1 week.

Edit2: Work in Progress of the "new" map for reference to what i can look like.

Edited by Nicrolis
  • Like 1

I saw several forum threads asking for a 2D (top-down) version of the server maps, so I really hope we will get one soon.

Considering that the "New Map Dump" isn't really that "new" anymore, I would suggest to wait for the next one, which hopefully will finally be a 2D version - much better suited for a community map.

If they do it again :P hopefully they do, because ya that would be much better

Edited by Nicrolis

both is good imho, even more if the maps kinda lined up properly as well, using the newest map dump to make the old map more accurate (deed and road wise) could be a plus.

• Like 1

If you can love it.
otherwise i'd say it's too much work.
Maybe it's worth it, to see what people prefer when all is done and said. But you already do a fantastic job, wouldn't want that to degrade.

Well, considering roads and whatnot is beeing altered all the time...

If it is doable in an easy way I'd support it.

But as some have said the new dump is already getting older.

• Like 1

its quite easy to modify the roads to match whats on the new dump. If roads change, the only issue would be modifying it to reflect that, which is possible by using the old map dump to "revert" the road to grass/trees/rock

• Like 1

Great idea and yeah would be much appreciated. Hope it doesn't mash your brain trying to match the two up...... gl ;)

4 hours ago, Yaga said:

I saw several forum threads asking for a 2D (top-down) version of the server maps, so I really hope we will get one soon.

Considering that the "New Map Dump" isn't really that "new" anymore, I would suggest to wait for the next one, which hopefully will finally be a 2D version - much better suited for a community map.

we'd probably have to wait a few more years for a "next one"

I'm all for this idea, maybe have a toggle between the different maps (basically just two different maps)

going to do that :P will have links to the "clean" map and the "map dump" map

• Like 1

I would use either one tbh. And looking at the new one i never realized how much the steppe down south was torn up. :/

This is something that I do while adventuring. I've got a map with an overlay of a transparent current map dump only showing roads and deeds, a second one from a year ago or so for abandoned ruins and pre-terraformed flats as well as the map dump image lined up under all of it. Can't forget a fourth layer with my incessant doodles. Lol.

• Like 1

On 10.12.2015 at 2:05 PM, Steveleeb said:

I feel that we/they probably should have done the render after everyone had implemented bridges, not before.
oh well.
Still awesome.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ah1l7elkjdon2zo/modified.png

This map demonstrates what I alredy said: the "new" map dump is pretty outdated already! For example: that sandy beach atrocity next to Dunegard and Haven in the southeast (built to allow easy swimming through the sound) has been removed months ago - we have a beautiful new bridge instead of that now.

I like the small difrences between "real" world and how it is today.