Sign in to follow this  
Scribble

Small/Large Animal Cage

A large gripe of many players is that it is so difficult to transport animals. Especially ones that cannot swim.

To help a bit with this, I'd like to suggest the addition of animal cages.

Construction wise, they would be similar to small/large crates, requiring a good bit of carpentry to start/create one. You would put an animal in a cage in the same way you would hitch an animal to a cart, and you load a cage into a vehicle the same way you would load a crate.

Smaller crates would hold only the smaller animals (a wolf or sheep being the largest animal that would fit inside), while large crates would be able to hold pretty much any animal.

In order to stop people from having animals in cages all the time, and animal stuck in a cage too long would starve to death and turn into a corpse.

I think something like this would be a very useful addition to Wurm.

• Like 2

+1, of course, but there are already other threads about this issue.

While i like the idea i think it would be easier to get them to do the thing that all animals can swim while being lead then the crate idea.

With them being lead they do not have to worry about animals being kept in the crates for to long or how they will despawn then respawn in and out of the crate also all the trouble with how they are handled when you try to cross server with the crates on your boats.  With the lead thing they will just stop following you like the horses do now and eventual they will die off or someone will grab/kill them.  

or let all animals be lead on ropes even non swimmers (I hear as long as they can keep their head above water, they won't REALLY drown)

EDIT: KEGAN BEAT ME (shakes fist)  Teaches me to go look up funny pictures from GOOGLE.

tying-bull-to-boat_1672949i.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

As far as i can tell all the mechanics are already there in the game with the breeding system and the existing swimming creatures so i cant see the lead idea being that big of a deal to get going to be honest. 

Edit: A quote from google when asked if cows can swim.. (although the main thing i want is sheep)

"I would think if the animal can walk without trouble then it can probably swim if necessary."

Edited by Kegan

The problem with leading is its limits and a huge PITA to continue leading them from a big ship after a disconnect or anything else, when the animals are in the water.

7 hours ago, zigozag said:

The problem with leading is its limits and a huge PITA to continue leading them from a big ship after a disconnect or anything else, when the animals are in the water.

Well they do have the mechanics to hitch animals to tents/carts so i guess they can add in a way to hitch them to the back of a boat if need be but i don't think they will ever do a crate that is just to much to worry about despawning them into the crate then back out and all the server crossing issues they would have to look into.  

The leading idea is just easier and something they might actually do but if it was just the crate idea or nothing then i don't think they would even consider it. ( i am all for whatever gets it done i just think this is the one they would most likely consider/do) 

Edited by Kegan

3 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Well they do have the mechanics to hitch animals to tents/carts so i guess they can add in a way to hitch them to the back of a boat if need be but i don't think they will ever do a crate that is just to much to worry about despawning them into the crate then back out and all the server crossing issues they would have to look into.  

The leading idea is just easier and something they might actually do but if it was just the crate idea or nothing then i don't think they would even consider it. 

I can't imagine the crate thing being an issue at all. An animal is still just a bunch of numbers. It's no different than any other item you stick in a boat's inventory.

8 minutes ago, Scribble said:

I can't imagine the crate thing being an issue at all. An animal is still just a bunch of numbers. It's no different than any other item you stick in a boat's inventory.

Well the trouble is people would be more in line to think they can cross server boarders with the crates over the animals being lead is one thing and is what would hold them back. The players know now that they can not lead animals across server boarders so it would be less of an issue with "teaching" players new rules.  Also they have to think about how they will prevent players from sticking the animals into crates for storage, figuring how to deal with hunger and then all the pvp stuff with being able to keep more animals in stock that the enemy can not kill..etc

Leading is just easier to manage and is most like what we have already. (bunch of hassle vs keeping them the way it is now kind of a deal)  

Edited by Kegan

On 12/2/2015, 3:51:51, Kegan said:

Edit: A quote from google when asked if cows can swim 

Cows CAN swim!!

yes we have been telling devs this for YEARS

vicious rumors that cows leak and fill with water, then sink have been DEBUNKED by the InterWebs

So who should a dev believe, some random guys WIFE or the interwebs??

^^ edit, apparently the whole rumor that cows can;t swim was invented by reddit trolls!@!% STAY OFF REDDIT, DEVS!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Grew up in the Western US... trust me. Cows can swim.

Granted the baby calves don't do as well in really heavy currents; however, they can have trouble on dryland too.

Anyways, I'm always for a means of shipping animals by vehicle and ship, especially across server borders.

+1.  What is the decay rate for a stored cow?  :) 

For simplicity, it might only work on wild animals.  Works on tamed wild creatures but sets them to zero taming when unloaded.  Your diseased creature is too weak to survive.  Your bred creature is too timid to survive.

Lead a wild spawn animal, Rclick the cage, load animal.  A warning pops up that the animal will die in 24 hours unless unloaded and fed.  Set animal to zero food / starving if after 12 hours, and kill it in 24 -36 hours.

Fix is to unload them for a few minutes, and feed them normally.  They always come out at zero food, or about to fast.  They always unload as a new randomly spawned wild creature of that type.  The population limit is checked somehow, so you cannot overload the server.

Graphic is a larger crate, with 4 times the volume, with dark slits or bars, but no visible animal.  Examine could show the animal type.  It is basically a single use spawner once loaded.

20 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Whichever way it is done, passive creatures only please

+1 passive creatures and players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Namekat said:

+1 passive creatures and players.

Towing people? Oh +1 yes!

8_2-no-age.gif

Shipping aggressive creatures would be a concern, especially in pvp settings. Though this could be taken into consideration by aggressive critters having occasional chances to break out of their containers.

Not personally in favor of outright banning shipping of reds.

Edited by Klaa