Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

Winter farming kill switch

When I first started Wurm, it was summer.  I went as fast as I could to get a few vegetables in the ground and an FSB up.  I was convinced nothing could grow in winter, and wanted to make sure I'd survive.

Of course, winter has no effect on farming in Wurm, so I had nothing to worry about.

Would it be possible to add a server setting to shut off winter farming?  Part of a survival mode type of environment.

• Like 3

I would like a mod that made it impossible to sow if snow is on the ground (but still allow farm/harvest of growing plants? Or not. I am unsure if frost should also kill planted crops.)

I would also love temperature/weather surivival mods "some day" :D I am a big fan of the Finish Iron Age RPG game "Unreal World" where you can die from cold, doe of thirst/hunger, etc.

I would losve to see a LOT of elements from unreal world including fur trapping, bartering with villages, TRAINED DOGS, hmm what else ... maybe thrown javelins that are actually rather dangerous :D

• Like 4

While working on the season configure mod I thought about what would or could happen if the temperature fluctuation calculation were moved to the server. The server would send the current season to the client. 

1. Server owners could make it so everyone playing on their server see the same season. (i'm not a fan of this kind of mindset. Telling others how to play is not cool).

2. If we had the temperature data server side then we could use it in other areas of game logic. Server controls game logic.

---- Client's Temperature algorithm already gets lower as you move up in elevation.

---- It should be possible to make different temperature profiles for predefined zones on a server. Although, I'm pretty sure the client can't render winter textures right next to say fall textures. It should be possible to do it functionally but the graphics wouldn't show it.