Sign in to follow this  
razoreqx

[RELEASED] Sound Effects Rework

Razors Edge Sound Effects.  [LAST UPDATE: 12-5-15]

I stripped down the file with sounds from our mods like cannon fire on ships and new creatures (I may have missed some but they wont be called by the client)

Ive basically reworked many of the sounds in the game, channel optimization and improved ambiance.

Also reworked some of the original sounds that I like with better fad in and fade out effects that make sense with area transitions. 

Backup your original file in a safe place and copy the new sound.jar file here  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs\  

Or wherever your WurmLauncher path is.

Version 1.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j8osjfph3psfvo/sound.jar?dl=0

PS:   My personal favorite spot is up on a mountain with tall grass.    

Enjoy. 

Edited by razoreqx
  • Like 2

It's actually pretty nice! The difference is subtle, but noticeable, for the most part.

I'm kinda curious... it's probably beyond the scope of this mod but if you poked around the sound.jar maybe you have an idea on how to change the work sounds (sawing, hammering, raking, etc.) so they play when the timer is below 5 seconds? Right now, with high enough skill/good enough tools, you're treated with silence on all the actions that should have sounds, especially if you use faster action setting on the server...

Edited by Thirn
  • Like 1

It's server code. The sound is played when actionTime is a multiple of 5 with actionTime starting at 1. One option would be changing the condition from actionTime % 5 == 0  to actionTime % 5 == 1 which would result in the sound being played in the first second and then every 5 seconds.

There was discussion about this in the irc channel. The reason for the current behaviour might actually be short action. If you have a couple of 1 or 2 second actions you can spam a lot of sounds that would mix into each other. By plaing it in the fifth second you can make sure that any sound from the previous action has stopped (assuming the sounds are at most 5 seconds long)

• Like 2

Hm, interesting... and yeah, I figured that the timer is there to prevent the sound spam; but, just checking if got this right, -- with the change you're proposing it would mean that there would be a sound played for the first action and another sound for any action occurring in 5 second interval, afterwards? That sounds like a very acceptable solution to me!

(Also, sorry to razoreqx for hijacking his thread a bit...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thirn said:

Hm, interesting... and yeah, I figured that the timer is there to prevent the sound spam; but, just checking if got this right, -- with the change you're proposing it would mean that there would be a sound played for the first action and another sound for any action occurring in 5 second interval, afterwards? That sounds like a very acceptable solution to me!

No worries.  Its good information.

4 hours ago, Thirn said:

The change would play a sound on the first second of *any* action. So 5 one second actions would play 5 sounds. An 11 second action would play a sound on second 1, 6 and 11.

You can see hear the effect when leveling a tile a mod.

Edited by ago

im working on adding new music scores now.    So i can turn music back on :) 

After some more playtime with the mod I have a couple of observations :

1) The cave sounds seem a bit much at times; I do like the bats and the dripping (although they're a bit loud, in my experience) but the rumbling sounds like the whole place is about to cave in any second. ;) Perhaps it's the volume...

2) The birds chirping around crops is pretty damn neat. Love the work on that.

3) Sounds of rain and thunder still fail to play; when it starts raining it only (sometimes) plays the effect and very briefly, at that. Distant lightning's thunder is completely silent too. I would really love to see this one looked at by someone, rain and thunder can add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

As for the work sounds -- I was thinking, would it be possible to limit playing work sounds to one per character? That could help with preventing the sound spam...

Edited by Thirn

1 hour ago, Thirn said:

After some more playtime with the mod I have a couple of observations :

1) The cave sounds seem a bit much at times; I do like the bats and the dripping (although they're a bit loud, in my experience) but the rumbling sounds like the whole place is about to cave in any second. ;) Perhaps it's the volume...

2) The birds chirping around crops is pretty damn neat. Love the work on that.

3) Sounds of rain and thunder still fail to play; when it starts raining it only (sometimes) plays the effect and very briefly, at that. Distant lightning's thunder is completely silent too. I would really love to see this one looked at by someone, rain and thunder can add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

As for the work sounds -- I was thinking, would it be possible to limit playing work sounds to one per character? That could help with preventing the sound spam...

Thanks for the feedback.   The caves could be toned down.  It is a volume thing.   I also have modded bats on my server which adds to the effect.

Thunder and lighting I'm also working MODs to be used with Ago's modloaders for client and server.   This works out the timing issue..    I do enjoy a good thunder storm and rain shower.  

Sadly this last patch set me back on progress because it changed quite a few objects in both the client and the server. 

Edited by razoreqx
  • Like 1

New update to the sound file.  I found why rain wasnt rain..   Thunder was missing..    It appears they added weather sounds to more directories than just /weather..     So i went through and cataloged every sound and marked with a unique identifier and rolled through the various enviornments to hear each one.      Its much better than it was.   Working on various new tool sounds an ambient village and settlement sounds.   Also working on new music scores so i can actually turn the music back on for more than a few mins... :)     

Feedback is appreciated as always.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, razoreqx said:

New update to the sound file.  I found why rain wasnt rain..   Thunder was missing..    It appears they added weather sounds to more directories than just /weather..     So i went through and cataloged every sound and marked with a unique identifier and rolled through the various enviornments to hear each one.      Its much better than it was.   Working on various new tool sounds an ambient village and settlement sounds.   Also working on new music scores so i can actually turn the music back on for more than a few mins... :)     

Feedback is appreciated as always.   

Ooooh, excellent! Can't wait to try out the proper weather sounds! And ofc -- looking forward to more soundy goodness ;)

P.S.: Is the file linked in OP the newest version then? Perhaps a version bump is in order (and a changelog, just to be able to keep track easier). Also perhaps upload it as a zip file with a version number on it? Same reason, really... ;)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thirn said:

Ooooh, excellent! Can't wait to try out the proper weather sounds! And ofc -- looking forward to more soundy goodness ;)

P.S.: Is the file linked in OP the newest version then? Perhaps a version bump is in order (and a changelog, just to be able to keep track easier). Also perhaps upload it as a zip file with a version number on it? Same reason, really... ;)

yea ive been deleting the older file.     I can start adding a version on a zip file as well.    Thanks for the feedback. 

Hm, sadly I still can't hear rain nor thunder (had a very rainy night with lots of lightning and it was all but quiet)... I'll redownload the .jar and try again soon, but meanwhile is there anything I can do to help debug?

what I found so far.   At sea..  No sounds.. if you're near water.. it doesn't call it either.     Im really getting frustrated with the lack of sound calls in the engine.   Working on a MOD to make my own calls.  

Hello razoreqx

Nice to talk to you
Is it possible to get again your sounds.jar pack. Your dropbox link don't work anymore?

Thanks