Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Improve Using Tamed Animals

I haven't done PvP yet and not sure if I will, but on Xan I've started getting my taming up and taming wolfs and bears to fight along side with me.  The experience seems very lacking when having a pet with you.

Can a pet bar be added to the game with some commands on it?  I can't tell if my pet is taking damage unless without clicking around on him and usually facing the wrong direction while fighting trying to keep track of my pet.

Would also love to see having a tamed pet auto follow you instead of having to use a rope to lead it.  Fighting is taking too many actions with a pet.  Have to un-rope the pet to give it commands.  Then have to rope and lead pet again.  I've forgotten to rope 2 pets and ran off far away before I realized I forgot my pet.

Be cool to have pets level while fighting with them too.  Give them their own special fighting moves the higher level they are and maybe some bonus points to fighting.  I read the wiki that they get a little more HP or something like that if they are fighting with you, but having the pet be it's own thing and skill points would be really nice.

• Like 3

Rolf has said many times that your pet is meant to level up as it fights but i do not think that works or at least i have never seen anyone talk about it.  I think the pet system could use an overhaul for sure it can be so much better then it is now and add in a lot more to the game. 

+1 to any improvements to the pet system for sure. 

Animals do actually gain skills. Tested this on trolls. They don;t gain fs but the do gain sub skills like weapons or weaponless, They also gain body stats. I also know of a particular lady on wild who's champ crocs got pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by JockII
  • Like 1

How 'bout taming at least 2 at a time while at it?

10 hours ago, JockII said:

Animals do actually gain skills. Tested this on trolls. They don;t gain fs but the do gain sub skills like weapons or weaponless, They also gain body stats. I also know of a particular lady on wild who's champ crocs got pretty ridiculous. 

The PvP'ers that had taming nerfed as a result of this shot themselves in the foot. 

Fast forward to 2015, let's try this again:

Taming 2 or more at a time would facilitate breeding and.... 

Combat's been described as lacking for quite a while now, folks bringing in their own tamed minions would really spice things up and to some degree give battles a bit more sense of scale to make up for the smallish number of players.

Be nice also if they can change the text color in the Combat log while fighting with your pet.  Text is white so it's tough to see how my pet is doing while attacking while I'm attacking.

+1 for a taming overhaul.

For a new player taming is a pretty useless skill. In PvE combat tamed pets are a distraction at best, buying new players time to run away - but that's pretty much all there's to it. As such it doesn't even deserve the term "pet", it's more like a throw-away one-use mobile bait for any aggressive critter that might spot it. Taming could be a potentially nice and unique feature of Wurm, but it's nerfed into oblivion and uselessness. :)

Also: the timer determining how long a pet stays tame seems to be wildly erratic. If I tame a pet (up to loyal status, taming skill 50+) a normal crocodile will stay tame for 2-3 RL hours, a raging brown bear however will stay tame for multiple RL days. Makes little sense to me.

Been taming and fighting with tamed creatures for 3 days now.  It's fun, but still could be improved.

The biggest thing I do in Wurm is have a ranch and breed horses and hell horses.  Could you add traits to all creatures so I can breed bears, dogs and wolves and get some traits going on them?  I've bread some dogs and 2 bears, but seems pointless since no traits and not worth taming them each time to breed.

Please add traits to everything.  That would also make each mob of the same class different since once spider might have gimped legs and fights slow and another one is faster.  I know we have "green" animals which are supposed to be stronger, but why not just give everything traits and based their abilities from that?