Sign in to follow this  
19KILO

Minor, yet annoying graphical errors...

Ive been playing Wurm recently on my laptop, i usually played on a desktop before but that computer is all the way across the country atm.

When i play on my laptop, creature, player, and NPC models look absolutely insane, players and NPCs look like they have wings, their arms bowing out, and reaching into the ground, their heads lunging back and forth like chickens, their legs shaped like those of a bird. At first i just ignored it but now its really getting on my nerves.

Animals have elongated heads, ears drooping down like those of an old dogs, and the wheels on carts spin around like theyre on a centrifuge, cant even drive a wagon without its front axle jumping up in front of my face.

So far i have not figured out why this is happening, i tried updating my Java version, its now up to the most recent release of Java, and i still get these graphical errors. What is going on here and how should i rectify this? I can play all other games using java just fine, but Wurm is totally messed up.

Your laptop probably has an Intel graphics card. If it also has a dedicated videocard I believe there is a way to force that to be used.

Alternatively, the Compatibilty tab in the Wurm settings offer a setting that should fix it. I'll see if I can find another thread where someone explains in more detail.

edit

Found it, had to click through 3 thread before I got to the one they linked to :)
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/89909-human-and-animal-models-look-like-this/

Edited by BadLuckBurt

Yeah mine isnt that bad as the one on that imgur post :P

heres what my guy looks like: http://imgur.com/tK0YtfI

They say to disable GSLS or whatever it is, but on my compatibility options most of the boxes are greyed out and cant be changed :/

Edited by 19KILO

6 minutes ago, 19KILO said:

Yeah mine isnt that bad as the one on that imgur post :P

heres what my guy looks like: http://imgur.com/tK0YtfI

They say to disable GSLS or whatever it is, but on my compatibility options most of the boxes are greyed out and cant be changed :/

Are you still in-game? Some options can only be changed before running it.

I resumed my google search after your screenshot, I think it's the same as this guy's problem: https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526567978840/

He stated he fixed it by changing Settings -> Compatibility tab: disable "VBO Support"

If you have a laptop with "switchable graphics" (intel for longer battery, nvidia/radeon for gaming) the issue occurs because it does not recognize any JAVA program as being  a GAME, and switches automatically to low battery use (intel). Easiest fix is to open ATI or NVIdia Control Panel, under 3D settings global set it to always use the HIGH PERFOMRANCE gaming card (will use battery faster on other programs.) You can otherwise set it to use nvidia/radeon for JAVA programs but thats a little more complex plus then you often have to change the path anytime there is a java update. On some operating systems, when you launch the game you can right click the game's shortcut and order it to use GForce/Radeon high performance card - you have to do that every time you start the game. 

If you have ONLY intel, the simple fix is to disable GLSL (game closed, go to  Wurm Launcher, Settings, Compatibility)  although this will usually cause terrain  distortion issues (usually less annoying than the NPC/animal distortions).

In a few cases, going direct to INTEL (not Microsoft, Windows or laptop updaters) for drivers will help:  

OFFICIAL INTEL DOWNLOADS PAGE

Last I heard, Win8/10 drivers still have issues but Win7/OSX/Linus drivers have fixes.

Try to make sure you have a driver released within the past 30-60 days. Older drivers than that are more likely to have issues. 

In addition to disable GLSL, you can try disabling VBO/FBO under same Compatability tab as I believe this helped in a few isolated cases (fixed both terrain + NPC distortions)

(It does no harm to disable all of the dropdown options; on my older computer I have them all off.  You just lose 'pretty' features)

Technically, the INTEL graphics have been excluded from meeting the game's minimum hardware requirements, although in many cases with workarounds you can still play with Intel graphics.

Just don't expect a fix on Wurm's end as it has battled this issue for years, and the issue seems related to INTEL being able to handle certain OPENGL features.

So their solution was to drop INTEL graphics from listed supported hardware for Wurm Unlimited (expect it to follow suit with WO eventually).

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
rambling
  • Like 1