Sign in to follow this  
yetian

Weapons advice

I am resurrecting my old main as a 2nd character. He used to use Longsword and shield.

For pve is is better to get a 2h? If so then I'm probably leaning to axe bit was wondering what the difference is in real terms between the 2h. Are Spears any good? Quite like the idea of a 2h spear.

So general advice would be great, I know there are previous posts , but things change. ðŸ˜

Edited by yetian

IMO 2h for pve. ls+shield isn't bad either, at least on higher fs, just takes more time to kill mobs. had some trouble with trolls though, but I think thats more due to my lack of skill. I've also seen some people use spears. I think it's mostly down to your personal preference.

2h will do very good damage, even at low skill. If you get LT and a decent set of armour, then it will keep you healed even at low skills against most mobs in pve. 1h and a shield should be used only if you really want shield skill. In pve you will take less damage but this difference won't matter if you have LT and decent armour. It comes down to preference in the end.

I personally always used a 2h maul until I decided to try out some pvp on chaos. Then I switched to a smaul and a shield. At the time I had regretted my decision to use a 2h weapon as I had to grind my shield skill quite a bit to get it to a useable level. Now I am back on pve and I have kept my smaul + shield combo and I don't think I'm going to switch back. Kinda like working on my shield skill while out hunting.

According to the wiki, the 2h axe has the best strength and timer of 2h'ers

It all depends on your goals.

As said before, for PvP a shield is a must for everyday use. but I think you also need some proficiency with 2h, for some situational cases, you can see on lots of PvP vids how people not being focused usually pulls a 2h to grind down a focus target.

On PvE while you can choose any combination, even dual welding 1h weapons, I think the best strategy is to chose a 2h first, then raise it on aggressive fighting until you hit at least 70 in both skills (weapon skill and aggressive fighting), this is above all to be of some help wen you go into unique fights. 

Looking at the 2 it seems axe and maul are big damage low parry. Sword is high parry, nobody knows about pole arms.

As I already have some general sword skill from using my longsword (have affinity), maybe a 2h sword is the way to go. High damage and high parry rate.

I have been LS for years.  My skill in LS is 75.  I decided I wanted a change.  

A bit unconventional, I went with a short sword with very high buffs. 

[13:42:04] A sword with a blade the length of an underarm. It could be improved with a lump.

[13:42:04] It is enchanted with Animal's demise, and  has an aggressive aura towards animals.

[13:42:04] Nimbleness has been cast on it, so it increase the chance to hit. [92]

[13:42:04] Life Transfer has been cast on it, so it will transfer life to you when harming enemies. [98]

[13:42:04] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [80]

[13:42:04] Mind stealer has been cast on it, so it will steal knowledge from non-players. [82]

Let me tell ya, this sword is awesome!  I pair it with a LMS.

I am getting 3 second swings sometimes paired with a parry at the same time.  But because LT is chanced to work with every hit, LT keeps my health up even with trolls.  So while I am hitting very fast but doing less damage per hit, LT is working at increased frequency and keeps me healthy.

If I do get beat up pretty good by a troll, I will follow up the troll fight with a wolf, scorpion, or spider and that fight will let the LT heal me back up.

Sample:  Check this out.  Fighting a croc and then turning to take a wolf that was also attacking me at the same time (sword action in bold).

[2015-11-14] [14:06:52] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:52] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:52] You pierce Aged crocodile extremely hard in the stomach and hurt it.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:55] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:55] You safely parry with your short sword.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:55] You pierce Aged crocodile extremely hard in the chest and hurt it.

[2015-11-14] [14:06:58] You pierce Aged crocodile extremely hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and hurt it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:02] You pierce Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the stomach and damage it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:03] Aged lurking black wolf tries to claw you but you raise your shield and parry.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:05] You pierce Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the stomach and damage it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:07] You safely parry with your short sword.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:08] You pierce Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the thigh of the left hindleg and damage it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:11] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:11] You cut Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the chest and damage it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:12] Aged lurking black wolf tries to claw you but you raise your shield and parry.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:12] Aged lurking black wolf claws you hard in the chest and irritates it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:12] Your armour hurts Aged lurking black wolf.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:14] You pierce Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the stomach and damage it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:15] Aged lurking black wolf claws you pretty hard in the chest and irritates it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:15] Your armour hurts Aged lurking black wolf.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:16] Aged lurking black wolf bites you hard in the chest and hurts it.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:16] Your armour hurts Aged lurking black wolf.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:17] You miss with the short sword.

[2015-11-14] [14:07:20] You cut Aged lurking black wolf extremely hard in the left paw and harm it.

Exciting!  That fight ended with me at 100% health.

It is actually a very fun setup.  I can't wait to get SS skill up to where I can do some special moves.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 1

Combat versus mobs is pretty simple.

After 70 shieldskill you can kill basically everything with just a shield and a 1ql butchering knife if you were so inclined (except for a few champion animals, which you could probably do if you had LT, but still not higher end trolls/champ crocs.)

Use a 2hander for uniques. Huge axe is preferred as it seems to have the hardest hitting crits, but large maul is very consistent in the damage it does and 2h swords are just sub par due to the little damage they do when compared with the others.

For 1h's:

Medium Maul has great damage, bad swing time.

Large axe has great damage, but doesn't parry.

Longsword is the perfect blend of everything, the most reliable and standard 1h.

Shortswords are great due to the high parry rate, makes it very easy to heal up even in PvP with LT (but in a fight in PvP, you will lose if you have an SS, just will take eons to actually kill you.)

Small mauls are wonderful. High damage output through most armors, fast swing timer. Basically an upgraded shortsword, has a slightly lower parry rate though.

Small axe is terrible.

i'd say that a Glimmersteel Medium Maul is the best 1h available as it has a four second swing timer and hits like a mac truck, but getting some glimmer is difficult for a lot of people on PvE, and for a portion on PvP.

If you can't get that, just go with your standard iron longsword. It's extremely common for a reason.

note: Polearms are okay, they are weaker than a huge axe and large maul, but around the same dps level of a 2h sword. Glimmersteel long spears are great because of that really low swing timer. Halberds are great, and staves are just terrible since the nerf, absolutely terrible.

A common misconception with polearms is that they do extra damage to horses but they don't, they just do a lot of extra damage to mounted opponents, not the mount itself.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

I am resurrecting my old main as a 2nd character. He used to use Longsword and shield.

For pve is is better to get a 2h? If so then I'm probably leaning to axe bit was wondering what the difference is in real terms between the 2h. Are Spears any good? Quite like the idea of a 2h spear.

So general advice would be great, I know there are previous posts , but things change. ðŸ˜

It's a question of preference, in Wurm PvE many different build/weapon/armour combinations can work. My usual advise is to use what you like to use and adapt accordingly. Sure, some combos are harder to skill-up, others will not work well against uniques, yet others depend on what type of mob you're hunting. Still: many combos are viable.

Personally I'm using sword&board, decent archery skill, wearing light armour (plain leather), low strength but decent body control. Works fine.

Thanks for all the info.

I still can't decide lol.

I don't often get time to make it to unique fights. Though it sounds like if I do a 2h axe would be a good option to skill up.

I don't get tons of play time so will probably pick a setup and stick with it. As most of my fighting is when exploring/hunting it appears a 1h and shield is a good option.

I already have 45 longsword skill although only 20 shield skill.

So I guess it's LS/SM and shield or 2h axe. 😀 If the shield option is it LMS or are small/medium worth using?

I am considering working archery on him. 😀 Might stick to LS and shield then for now. Get a good LT sword. Which shield type is best?

Large metal.

Large wooden and large metal have the same and the highest block radius. (the area around your character in which you block the highest % of hits.)

The other shields have a smaller block radius and the only real benefit to using them is that they don't weigh as much.

The reason large metal is better than large wooden is simply because metal shields get a bonus to shieldbashing.

Also, do train archery. It's arguably the best way to raise body control when done properly.

Edited by Propheteer

get some crappy 50ql chain or whatever so its easy to get imped back up and grab a super low ql large metal shield with as high coc as possible

attack a horse in defensive with no weapon equipped and just sit there. back out to heal + get stamina.

its one of the slower skills to raise but it pays off in the end, and you can virtually afk the entire thing. just dont forget to repair your shield.

attack a horse in defensive with no weapon equipped and just sit there.

For pure shieldskill its much better to use aggressive.

However defensive is better for mind speed, also combine this with a full armor set EXCEPT the leggings, u now also kick the horse and get even more ticks.

Steel staff seems to have a nice damage - at least on PVE it is really usable against quite all the mobs.

Huge axe is an awful thing to face as long as your parry is not to be considered (PVE - you kill the mobs too fast to be concerned).

I use a med maul / shield as well, with 50+ skill on the shield the shield parry rate is getting quite nice. Same toon goes with a large maul against uniques, has a better hit rate than the other with the huge axe.

My battery priest started with scythe, it seems to hit big time, but no extensive fight experience behind it yet here - and no FS as well :P

On the low ql shield for training - isn't a high ql shield better at low skill as you will get skill tick only on successful shield parry?

Steel staff is in theory the highest dps weapon in the game, mauls gain more damage from strengh than axes and swords. Sickle and small axe have a -2 cr penalty which can hurt especially at low fightskill. Spears are best for fighting mounted targets so not really effective in pve. On balance you will find a 2h will kill stuff much faster but a low swing timer with lt makes it so efficient at keeping your health up especially when paired with a shield. 

Edited by Webba

Thanks so much for the input all, hopefully this post will turn into something others can use to help make up their mind.

I think I'm going to go with LS/LMS for now as I already have 48LS skill and with my playtime it would take me a while to get another weapon up. :) I don't fight uniques much but I might train up a huge axe or large maul in time, so I can fight those. 

Would I be turned down in unique fights without 2h skill?

Thanks so much for the input all, hopefully this post will turn into something others can use to help make up their mind.

I think I'm going to go with LS/LMS for now as I already have 48LS skill and with my playtime it would take me a while to get another weapon up. :) I don't fight uniques much but I might train up a huge axe or large maul in time, so I can fight those.

Unless your tanking, it's a good chance you may be, but not always.

You'll basically only be poking it with a LS though... Not contributing anything.

without 2h skill you can still hit the mob, but you won't hit it anywhere near as often.

its up to the event holder

you will never ever hit a unique with a 1h unless its a medium maul, and thats pretty rare unless its a really good maul and you have really high fs/weaponskill/bodystr.

Edited by Propheteer

There seems to be a minimum amount of damage you have to do otherwise you will glance against uniques and I have never seen anyone hit a unique with a longsword, that being said I'm sure it is possible. Almost all event organisers require two handers except maybe 1 tank (most don't use a tank since aoe is the biggest concern) but getting 40 skill in a huge axe does not take too long. 

I've skilled a bunch of weapons to 70 while PvE hunting:

LS+Shield is a great starter set-up, very safe assuming you grind your shield skill up high before hand.

My personal favourite has been twin short swords (with LT), but I have PoL11 and some other weird build features so it might be less great for other people. 

I found mauls boring, although small mauls were the least boring.  Large maul I hated.

Small axes seem OK; I have tried Large Axe on my priest but don't love it.  Huge Axe is probably fine but doesn't max the LT benefits the way smaller weapons do.

Spears and Halberds seem to suck.  Everyone says sickles are OP but personally I haven't tried them yet and probably won't.