Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

Vulkanus 4096x

This map has a nice mix between rolling hills, big mountains (the max height is 10000!!), big deserts bordering forests and grassplains.

With it's size of 4096x4096 it has alot of space and due to it's big lake inland and a vast spread coast all around the island alot of possibilities for people to settle down.

It also offers alot of solitude areas, close to the mountains and it's dirtlayer is around 100 dirt deep, so good for terraforming :)

as you can guess based on the name, I got this Inspiration from "burned" volcanoes, that are not active anymore, are overgrown and over time have created a lake in the middle.

I hope you guys like it :) and this time I made sure that the cave layer is not empty XD

and tell me if you gonna make a server with this map, I might wanna play it also :D

download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T1X4rc9rqIfz-U6B0VHMckqWIn3HcnKy/view?usp=sharing

ASxIofM.png

Screenshots:

J0sKv4f.jpg

qtSVywD.jpg

TD7ldDN.jpg

Is6larZ.jpg

7YEBZjF.jpg

LNYKYGb.jpg

UoIZmiG.jpg

hU5jIWn.jpg

0UeRa4f.jpg

ajQkitW.jpg

bIjPvcL.jpg

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 9

I love the valley like entrances into the center. Your maps just keep getting better and better.

This is pretty fantastic.

What program did you create the map with, before importing into one of the WU map generators?

Edited by Wurmhole

This is pretty fantastic.

What program did you create the map with, before importing into one of the WU map generators?

• Like 3

It really works great.  You end up with some very natural looking mountains and erosion ridges leading downslope form them.  Much more organic than our current map creation tools are doing.

• Like 1

It really works great.  You end up with some very natural looking mountains and erosion ridges leading downslope form them.  Much more organic than our current map creation tools are doing.

thanks, only downside is that it still takes me several hours to tweak the results until it feels good XD 

I forgot to mention that I also tweaked some things in the 3d view of l3dt, that helped alot to make some of the erosion and fractures more natural, I wonder how difficult it would be to change the current map generators the way that one can also affect the way the dirt lays on top of the rock, instead of it just being dropped on the same shape the rock has, I would like to have erosion options for the dirt itself, changing where it slides with more then just the "slide down" option when over a certain angle.

Currently the map generator also only has this cloud like filter to create landmass, which is okay, but not really realistic and erosion seems to do almost nothing.

on the other hand, it's good practice for me :) Since I'm working on my own game also, which requires me to advance in mapmaking also :)

You really make some great maps. Thanks for sharing them!

thanks and I'm happy if someone likes my experiments :)

Every time you put a new map for us to check out I get excited. They just keep getting better and better. Really enjoy your work.

• Like 1

i'm loving this one! :D  

love the beaches, the high mountains, love the flat areas... this map is really really awesome!!  :D

really love the the work you put into the heightmap, it amazing!

would love a small tutorial or some tips on the steps you went through and how you made those ridges <3

or perhaps your psd file? x) oh the things i could learn!!

do you blur it before l3dt aswell?

to get more erosion on the map generator i use a cliff ratio of about 3  i keep the dirt slope at 30 and the diagonal slope at 40, this also makes it so anywheres there is dirt you can ride usualy

really love the the work you put into the heightmap, it amazing!

would love a small tutorial or some tips on the steps you went through and how you made those ridges <3

or perhaps your psd file? x) oh the things i could learn!!

do you blur it before l3dt aswell?

to get more erosion on the map generator i use a cliff ratio of about 3  i keep the dirt slope at 30 and the diagonal slope at 40, this also makes it so anywheres there is dirt you can ride usualy

• Like 1

i keep the dirt slope at 30 and the diagonal slope at 40, this also makes it so anywheres there is dirt you can ride usualy

I've tried that with my first few maps but depending on your map's terrain, it really makes some areas hard to terraform. Then again, that is the effect of erosion too I guess :)

I think those ridges look very nice. They miss a bit of the finer detail you get when you let L3DT handle everything but that end-result is very hard to control. If you want to know more about what the sliders do for the design map I'll be happy to explain, it's not always clear what effects to expect when you change certain things.

i have more trouble with the design map being so low resolution :/ can't see sh** when trying to define the areas i want certain effects on

i have more trouble with the design map being so low resolution :/ can't see sh** when trying to define the areas i want certain effects on

You can change the design map's scaling but if you're using the free version, that might be limited to 128 or 64 pixels.

It's the HF/DM ratio I meant:

http://www.bundysoft.com/docs/doku.php?id=l3dt:userguide:ops:dm:resize

Edited by BadLuckBurt

its 64 in free version sadly :/

Aw, that's a shame. The license for it is very cheap, $34,95 so maybe you could pick it up in the future as your dev needs grow ;)

Aw, that's a shame. The license for it is very cheap, $34,95 so maybe you could pick it up in the future as your dev needs grow ;)

Voxel terrains are nice. It's a shame they never got the same optimization for GPUs as polygons. Outcast had awesome terrain back in the day and is slowly made more awesome in it's re-release.

hehe, depends :) Currently I'm working on finding out more about voxels :P so maybe I won't need Heightmaps anymore at some point :)

Voxel terrains are nice. It's a shame they never got the same optimization for GPUs as polygons. Outcast had awesome terrain back in the day and is slowly made more awesome in it's re-release.

have you seen the more recent engines? like atomengine? I think they must include gpu by now for having such good performance :)

do you follow voxel farm at all? :P it still uses heightmaps :P but thats not a bad thing, i think heightmaps are quite powerful now.

link to his blog n site http://voxelfarm.com/

still im gonna have to load this map up ingame and have a fly around, :P

haha yeah I know voxelfarm and no I didn't know they use heightmaps.
I was talking about my own voxel terrain though :) and even though I was thinking about heightmap support just to have an easy startpoint for terrain generation, I would still prefer having a proper terrain generation within the voxel tools :)
Instead of needing to switch between programs constantly ^^

have you seen the more recent engines? like atomengine? I think they must include gpu by now for having such good performance :)

I remember looking at that one and a few others a couple of years back. Just found this video on YT, the guy has made some crazy progress :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItvtnc5hLw

I absolutely love this map!  It is gorgeous.  Thank you so much for sharing it!