Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

[ALPHA] Better Gamemasters 1.1.1 (Hotfix)

v1.1 users should update to the v1.1.1 hotfix, please see the changelog for details!

I'm aiming to implement things that make the lives of Gamemasters a little easier and more convenient.

There are many things you can already do, but they're not obvious (e.g. set your Wand's AuxData to 1, so Leveling requires no dirt, and creates none in your inventory, change its AuxData to 1, 2, 3, 4 to make it provide different kinds of materials for building house walls).

For everything else, I guess you could just ask, and I'll look into if I can manage to make it happen or can be done already. No promises. Though I am a professional programmer, I haven't done a whole lot of Java, and it takes a lot of time to make yourself familiar with a code base as huge as Wurm Unlimited, and I'm not modding as a full-time job.

Some features may have some unintended side-effects since we're trying to keep conflicts to a minimum by changing things on a lower level, but they shouldn't break anything in theory, that's why I'm flagging this as alpha for now though.

What it does

• Game masters can pick-up items with disregard to carry limits by body strength.
  • Game masters' walking speed is not affected by inventory weight.
  • Game masters do not need skill or material for house floors or roofs (set AuxData on Wand to 1) and building is instant on non-testservers.
  • Items owned by game masters don't take damage from use or otherwise.
Planned features
  • Walk up slopes and max speed on any terrain?
  • Anything you'd like me to look into?
  • Enable more instant-build features that normally are only available to GMs on a server marked as test server.
Requirements

Ago's mod loader version 0.7 or newer. This mods were built against v0.7 of the modloader, and build ID 836486 of the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server [beta], but should work on the current release just fine.

Download and installation

Direct download: BetterGamemasters-1.1.1-bin.zip (latest)

Browse the releases on GitHub: https://github.com/dmon82/BetterGamemasters/releases

Extract the bin archive it to the server directory. Start Ago's mod launcher.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 4

Known issues:

• Although house structures (floors, roofs) require no materials to build, they do require skills (I might've undone a change unintentionally, I swear it worked before!)
Changelog:

v1.1.1 Hotfix - Friday, 6th November 2015

• The feature meant to prevent damage to items owned by game masters can cause the server to spam NoSuchPlayerException messages. This is because I had polled for a creature even when the item's ownerID was -10 (No owner).

You should update to the hotfix ASAP or disable the feature for the time being, as it might cause extensive logfile growth.

(no release) - Friday, 6th November 2015
  • The direct download link in the OP was pointing to version 1.0 instead (Thanks, Illuminatus!).
v1.1 - Thursday, 5th November 2015
  • Can build floors and roofs with no materials/skill.
  • Features can be configured in .properties file.
v1.0 - Tuesday, 3rd November 2015Investigation/work in progress:
  • Instant paving (Not investigated yet)
  • Menu merging the functionality of "Manage restrictions", Enchants, and added rarity switches (Initial familiarity of the menus.
  • Ability to get information, and taking items out of a player's inventory directly via Look > Equipment (Not investigated yet)
  • Instant bridge building (Found, pending implementation)
Completed initial/working drafts:
  • Make all features configurable (can toggle on/off and specify minimum MGMT power)
  • Items in GM inventory take no damage/take no damage when used (was able to make all GM "owned" items take no damage, includes all kinds of items in and out of inventory like fences or walls, from either decay or use, config settings apply)
  • Ability to build more kinds of structures without materials like floors, stairs, and roofs (floors above and below, with openings, staircases, and roofs can be built instantly and without materials or skills, config settings apply)
If I forgot anything, it's fine to bonk me on the noggin' with a remainder.

Edited by Ulviirala

Maybe make GM's give off a certain light level? (Or toggle, I dont believe they have either atm?)

Maybe make GM's give off a certain light level? (Or toggle, I dont believe they have either atm?)

Gamemasters should already have an option for a personal light, the in-game command is

#gmlight - togles personal light on/off when you are invisible
, a bit like the newbie personal light. It used to give away Gamemasters spying on you for example, because players were able to see it, so it was marginally harmful for investigations. I'm pretty sure that's why I included it in a comic I've drawn a few years ago :).

I could maybe look into how that personal light works, and why it sounds like it only works when invisible, and whether or not it works as described, then make it work when visible if applicable.

• Like 1

Gamemasters should already have an option for a personal light, the in-game command is

#gmlight - togles personal light on/off when you are invisible
, a bit like the newbie personal light. It used to give away Gamemasters spying on you for example, because players were able to see it, so it was marginally harmful for investigations. I'm pretty sure that's why I included it in a comic I've drawn a few years ago :).

I could maybe look into how that personal light works, and why it sounds like it only works when invisible, and whether or not it works as described, then make it work when visible if applicable.

After reading every single gm command I can find, I'd love to know how I missed one of the most simple ones. x.x  Thank you!

Just wanted to post my personal interest in this mod.  This should make life easier for gamemasters / lazy players like me.

For suggestions:

For starters, could you make things configurable in the .properties file so that as you add things to your mod, people can choose which tweaks they'd like?  I've found that to be the number one problem with mods as they grow larger--no customizability.

Also, perhaps you could make it so that GM inventory items don't take damage when they are used?  Swords, armor, tools?

Thank you so much for making this mod, I always wanted this better GM option that you just provided. I could help you grow by giving you some suggestions.

you could provided us with two options, one that prevent all GM items from getting damaged, and second an option that continues to damage but won't degrade the quality when we repair (to improve repair skill).

you could make a better "management Restrictions" menu by providing us to change the rarity of the item, along with enchanting in one menu, then having to go though 3 menus all the time to get one item properly adjusted.

You could try to see if you could allow us to instantly make floors without requiring materials, including stairs and floor openings.

I'd love to be able to easily get item ids from player's inventories, maybe from right-clicking the item in the right-click->Look->equipment menu. It would also be nice to be able to retrieve the item with a click rather than having to type the #loadItemFromHell itemid command.

Looks like I got some work cut out for me :)

I'll go over everything in the next couple of days, some things will definitely be more time-consuming than others, but I can see the usefulness and convenience in all of them.

Being able to customise which features you want through configuration files is a sure thing that needs to be added. I've always hated missing options myself.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

I'd love to be able to easily get item ids from player's inventories, maybe from right-clicking the item in the right-click->Look->equipment menu. It would also be nice to be able to retrieve the item with a click rather than having to type the #loadItemFromHell itemid command.

• Like 2

I noticed I can't drag something from an inventory into my own when I have say 3000 dirt, it says I cannot carry even one. 

I noticed I can't drag something from an inventory into my own when I have say 3000 dirt, it says I cannot carry even one.

Ah, I see. I'll probably have to have a look at the GUI code. I've really only tested it using the TAKE keybind.

I get the same message even if I have nothing in my inventory. Never mind I guess that fixed itself or I was just tired.

Edited by oxnard

just btw you dont need building materials as gm. if you build a bridge you just need to put your wand in the crafting menu instead of the hammer...dont know if it works at walls. you can try it out

One thing I've noticed is that with a high carry weight, you still get fatigued really quickly.  Is there any way to disable that?  Otherwise being able to carry as much as possible doesn't help much.

just btw you dont need building materials as gm. if you build a bridge you just need to put your wand in the crafting menu instead of the hammer...dont know if it works at walls. you can try it out

It's possible I've overlooked material requirements, in either case though it should at least enable insta-building for servers not marked as being a/the "test server".

One thing I've noticed is that with a high carry weight, you still get fatigued really quickly.  Is there any way to disable that?  Otherwise being able to carry as much as possible doesn't help much.

I have not experienced that behaviour myself at all, it should not happen (with no excessive weight encumberance *winks*). This feature is part of the "not being slowed down by weight" option, setting carry weight limits to their possible maximum value (2.1 million kilograms), indirectly affecting stamina requirements. Make sure it's option in the .properties file is set to true. Otherwise, perhaps there is another mod modifying the Creature class causing an unexpected conflict.

Edited by Ulviirala

It's possible I've overlooked material requirements, in either case though it should at least enable insta-building for servers not marked as being a/the "test server".

I have not experienced that behaviour myself at all, it should not happen (with no excessive weight encumberance *winks*). This feature is part of the "not being slowed down by weight" option, setting carry weight limits to their possible maximum value (2.1 million kilograms), indirectly affecting stamina requirements. Make sure it's option in the .properties file is set to true. Otherwise, perhaps there is another mod modifying the Creature class causing an unexpected conflict.

Hmm.  Either way, I just took a hammer to it and made my fatigue unlimited.  I hate the mechanic anyway.

On 11/16/2015, 4:51:25, cantorsdust said:

Hmm.  Either way, I just took a hammer to it and made my fatigue unlimited.  I hate the mechanic anyway.

I'll have to apologise, it does actually drain stamina ridiculously fast. I'm sorry, I haven't really done a whole lot of things as GM, so I guess I remained completely oblivious about some things. It will be something I need to put on my agenda for sure, but I encourage anybody to feel free to make me aware of such things, should I not find the time to come upon it on my own!

17 hours ago, Ulviirala said:

I'll have to apologise, it does actually drain stamina ridiculously fast. I'm sorry, I haven't really done a whole lot of things as GM, so I guess I remained completely oblivious about some things. It will be something I need to put on my agenda for sure, but I encourage anybody to feel free to make me aware of such things, should I not find the time to come upon it on my own!

Ah, having been doing more stuff today, I caught on to why I was confused and struggling to remember any stamina problems. I set all my Body values (body, strength, stamina, control) to maximum. Now I can walk around with 2,138 dirt (42,760 kg) without losing stamina. So yea, max out your skill/characteristic values as GM!

PS: And always remember, Auxdata 1 on the wand is your friendly magic value.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ulviirala said:

I set all my Body values (body, strength, stamina, control) to maximum. Now I can walk around with 2,138 dirt (42,760 kg) without losing stamina. So yea, max out your skill/characteristic values as GM!

Chuck Norris would be proud :D

Would it be possible to increase or remove the limit for building structures as a GM? 

Thanks,

Z

not sure if suggested yet but increasing the item limit one can have in ones inventory as gm to 2000 as in i can carry 2k dirt on me but then i cant create things eg planks so say raise the cap to like 2k or like 10k if possible or gone all together if even possible as quite a few times while landscaping i figured it be easier to create something then scroll through that entire long item list only to realize i gotta drop everything i have on me first(and over 1400 items dropped in 1 go you get a dc >.>)