Sign in to follow this  
Windamere

HotA Flop

Imagine that: Greatest opportunity to learn Wurm online they said.

So i'm sitting around figured, hey i'll try a Hota since it's something i never got into doing on Wurm online..

Imagine to my surprise to show up and find 3 pillars right off the bat...ok so need 4 of 10 i read in forums to win....ok so I set about conquering them...but where is the fourth?

search and search.....log out and log in GM....search and search....all to no avail....

ok I'll summon a HotA pillar and set the Aux data to be like the others....

Summoned pillar name "Hota pillar" other pillar names....."(Color) pillar of the hunt" Hmmm that doesn't look right...

look through list to see if maybe there's a different.....nothing

check get info....check aux data....all seems in order.

Reboot server.....pillar remains....log out GM log in Character.....run around conquering pillars again....Nothing

hmmm pulls hair out jump on sailboat and head back to deed......

FLOP FLOP FLOP - can't learn for wurm online if the advertise as best way to learn wurm online and things are broken!

Server: Dedicated/adventure/pvp enabled

Imagine that: Greatest opportunity to learn Wurm online they said.

So i'm sitting around figured, hey i'll try a Hota since it's something i never got into doing on Wurm online..

Imagine to my surprise to show up and find 3 pillars right off the bat...ok so need 4 of 10 i read in forums to win....ok so I set about conquering them...but where is the fourth?

search and search.....log out and log in GM....search and search....all to no avail....

ok I'll summon a HotA pillar and set the Aux data to be like the others....

Summoned pillar name "Hota pillar" other pillar names....."(Color) pillar of the hunt" Hmmm that doesn't look right...

look through list to see if maybe there's a different.....nothing

check get info....check aux data....all seems in order.

Reboot server.....pillar remains....log out GM log in Character.....run around conquering pillars again....Nothing

hmmm pulls hair out jump on sailboat and head back to deed......

FLOP FLOP FLOP - can't learn for wurm online if the advertise as best way to learn wurm online and things are broken!

Server: Dedicated/adventure/pvp enabled

Sometimes fails, we don't know why. delete the hota zone and make a new one. resets the timer.

• Like 2

Yeah our team found this out at the weekend,

Spend all the HotA time searching for that 4th pillar and could not find....

Probably some bug that a GM can not fix, most likely its that code club has tk fix.

• Like 2

Sometimes fails, we don't know why. delete the hota zone and make a new one. resets the timer.

Ok not even sure how to do that....but will log in lvl5GM and see what i can find out. After i conquer this Mol Rehan tower thats actually inside the Hota Zone part way lol

Ok not even sure how to do that....but will log in lvl5GM and see what i can find out. After i conquer this Mol Rehan tower thats actually inside the Hota Zone part way lol

Wand on any item -> create focus zone -> bottom of the window is "DELETE ZONE" and select the hota one.

Wand on any item -> create focus zone -> bottom of the window is "DELETE ZONE" and select the hota one.

I've found that DELETE ZONE deletes the wrong zone half the time so watch out for that.

The Dark Citadel has won the Hunt of the Ancients 1 times.

The next Hunt of the Ancients is in 1 hours and 42 minutes.

idk what you doing wrong but for me everything works. i createt some hota pillars and then clicked one of them to create the hota zone

Deleted the zone and made new HotA Zone.....400 x 400 like i read in Wiki....and now have this message: [13:25:32] The next Hunt begins in 1 days, 7 hours and 59 minutes.

Well I didn't have that before so hope it worked......crosses fingers

Thanks Jberg for answering....i know you guys are busy with WO and can't hold our hands

I remade the Hota zone a 300x300, (thought 400x400 was a little too big), when it came for the players to complete it, that too was a little to big.....

So i helped them locate the pillars by giving them hints in directions, cant make it too easy for them....

After they completed it, the zone was dropped down to a 100x100 center on 1050,1150.

Oh this is on the adventure map.

For the 3rd or fourth pillar we found out you need to conquer the first 1/2/3 pillars first. After that it should spawn in the neighberhood. No problems found so far Hota working great so far.

• Like 1

I've been managing fine with 80x80 HOTA zones on my small test servers.

As Devilty says, after conquering the first couple of pillars other pillars seem to spawn in close by enabling a complete HOTA.

Yes after resetting that first one i haven't had any further problems....

After deleting a Hota zone and making a new one do we have to put the pillars in or will they just automatically spawn in when the time comes? Also, if they have to be put in, what is the data info to set each pillar?

Edited by xmistyblue
to add another question

I had to do it twice so far. Once, then a few hota's later a second time. Since then no problems.

They automatically spawn

After a group does the Hota do they win a Hota statue or is it something that has to be set up? Oh, by the way removing the Hota zone and putting a new one in worked.

They win a hota statue placed at their alliance capital. Inside the statue is the HOTA loot, by default usually adamantine and glimmer ore along with some medallions (randomly).

With a mod you can change the loot as well.

• Like 1

I read this thread and deleted my HotA zone, then re-created.  I've tried 25 x 25, 50x50, and 80x80.  Captured the first three pillars, and the fourth still won't pop.

This is very frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Does the server have to be PvP for the HotA to work?

Never tried putting a HOTA zone on a PvE map actually, so far every one I've tried has been on PvP.

It may be that it needs to have PvP, there are no HOTA zones on Wurm Online other than the two on the PvP main servers, (Chaos and Elevation).

I've not tried anything as small as 25x25 tiles though, seems rather small anyway, but everything over 50x50 I've set up seems to work fine.

Just some notes from my experiences.

If you restart the server when HOTA is running it's likely to bug and only the first 3 pillars will be active, other then deleting and re doing the HOTA zone seems to get around this.

If you can't be bothered to wait a day or so for the next HOTA event, you can edit the HOTA timer in the Wurmlogin.db, Servers table, Nexthota field, I tend to set it to 2112, (no reason, as long as it's a relatively low number). Make sure HOTA is not running because you'll have to do the DB edit when the server is not running, (prevents data corruption).

It's best to set up your HOTA in a desert/steppe, unless you like the challenge of trying to find the pillars in forests, from personal experience, if you do choose to make a HOTA zone in forest it might be best to compete during the Wurm night, although you can highlight the pillars some distance away through the trees, the light makes them easier to see at night. 

For similar reasons try to avoid making them on mountains, no one likes a HOTA you have to be a GM to play ;)

The pillars appear randomly inside the HOTA zone, so there's no point marking them, or making nice flat spots where they appear the first ti8me you play them, they probably won't appear there again, but do mark the tile you made the focus zone on, it'll help if you want to reset it the same next time, (who doesn't love a colossus of Magranon in the middle of their HOTA steppe?).

You don't have to have an alliance to capture the pillars in HOTA, but you do have to belong to a village, as already noted, the HOTA statues will appear on the token tile of the capital of the alliance, or the village who wins the HOTA.

Hota pillars can appear on water, as well as land, if the HOTA zone covers an area of water, you can capture them while swimming though, so it's not really a big issue.

• Like 1

I have have looked at a few of these threads about bugged hota on my server i have to keep deleting it  can do it twice then the  third hota after it bugs out again.

is anyone actually looking into why this happens and will it ever be fixed ? its kind of annoying

Edited by wasntme
  • Like 2

Only think I know for certain is that it happens when a HOTA is running and you restart the server,

Seems the server cannot 'remember' that HOTA is running, and it freezes.

I've tried keeping a server running and completing HOTA after HOTA over a month or so with absolutely no bugged ones, the moment I restart the server with HOTA running that's it, it bugs, Shrines don't respond, new pillars don't spawn.

Not being a coder I can only assume that some flags or data isn't carried over when the server is restarted.