Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

MapViewer v1.3.3 (Updated Nov 20 2016)

So you've probably heard of the wonderful WurmAPI that Warlander created.
You've also probably heard of the exciting new map generator made by Budda himself!

Well, this isn't nearly as exciting, but it may be useful!

MapViewer opens the files generated by WGenerator, or any other map generator that uses WurmAPI.

News

I've gone away from including IDE-specific project files. You'll find everything you need to build this in a handy maven config.

I also went to Travis to allow for faster integration of contributions from the community.

Lastly I added some info to the tooltips when you mouse over pixel (tiles) on the map!

Rework is in progress. I'm adding functionality to help with generating map images via command line and tile them for use with map frameworks. 

Features

• Supports all current map views (Isometric (Wurm-style 3D), Terrain (flat), Cave/Ore view, Topographical)
  • Toolbar to control various options in each view.
  • Status bar/mouse over for map details! (Click on a spot to update the status bar, or check Show Mouseover)
  • Save the entire map image, or just the current viewport under the File menu.

Change Log

v.1.3.3 [Nov 20 2016] Tool Tips & Build Info

Added flower and grass info to tool tips and build info to the about tab.

v1.3.2 [Nov 12 2016] Contributions and CI

• This release has been a long time waiting!
  • Code maintenance includes:

Features / Fixes:

• Command-line support from Yoplitein
  • Smoother zooming and quality on mouse-over by andyneff

v1.2.0 [Oct 27 2015] App Refresh!
  • New Icon!
  • Now attempts to use system look and feel by default.
  • Open Map - reworked to be easier to use.
  • Large Map Size - Will now warn when the map size is too big to load in current available memory.
  • Save Images - Remembers the last folder, auto-generates image names for quicker saving, general improvements/fixes.
  • Bug fix: PNGs save correctly now!
  • Now uses threads for loading map files, rendering the map image, and saving map images. Displays a small box indicating progress or activity. (Not all API activities allow monitoring of progress)
  • Name of map (taken from the folder the map files are stored in) now appears in the title bar.
  • Map dimensions now appear in the new status bar.
  • Zoom is preserved when the map is refreshed or view changed.
  • Options window refactored into a toolbar
  • Toolbar tabs also function as view changers
  • Removed the auto-refresh checkbox. This is now default functionality.
  • Removed Save Settings - this is done automatically.
  • Changed Restore Defaults to Reset to fit the toolbar better.
  • Map Details now show in status bar when clicking on Terrain, Topographical, and Cave View maps.
  • Added Show Mouseover checkbox to toggle map details on a mouse hover.
  • Improved scrolling and zoom.
  • New Help & About menu
  • Everything is also bound to hotkeys! No mouse needed (except for mouse over details)
  • Terrain is the new default view. Normal is now Isometric.
  • Releasing version 1.2.0 under the MIT License.

v1.02 [Oct 19 2015] Usability Fixes

• Made file choosing more intuitive.
  • Fixed a possible infinite loop bug.
  • Added Auto Refresh Map to Options for real-time map refreshes as you change settings. To disable this behavior, simply uncheck the box.
  • Added an actual version number too.

v1.01 [Oct 18 2015] Cross-platform Fix

• Fixed an oversight for file paths on other platforms.
  • Set the file chooser to default to the user's home directory.

v1.00 [Oct 18 2015] Usability Fixes

• Initial push and release.

Note You must have all of the files generated by WurmAPI in a single folder. This means all five map files (top_layer.map, rock_layer.map, resources.map, flags.map, and map_cave.map should be in the same folder)

GitHub: https://github.com/xorith/MapViewer/ (Eclipse project files included, WurmAPI (wurmapi.jar and common.jar under /lib)
Download latest version: https://github.com/xorith/MapViewer/releases (runs standalone, no compiling or libraries needed. Tested under Java 1.8, Windows.)

Running Linux? Let me know how it runs!

Possible Future Features

• Database interaction to place village map markers and other Points of Interest
  • Overlay grid lines based upon custom settings
  • Artistic effects (fog of war, old paper map, etc)
  • Ability to draw on map images
  • Ability to paint map terrain data on maps.
  • Like 15

ahh great i just wish that this kind of thing was part of budds program but this will work i guess, lol

When i choose Open map Folder and navigate to the folder that WGen saved too i see nothing in the box.

b23c4a64f2.png

When i choose Open map Folder and navigate to the folder that WGen saved too i see nothing in the box.

b23c4a64f2.png

If you upgrade to the newest map generator they have combined this functionality into one program!!

Using v1.1 dont see any controls to view map

Load your map using the load actions button at the bottom, wait for it to load (could take a long time if it's a large map) then once it loads you have zoom control of map like in this viewer!!

One thing I like in your standalone program is the ability for terrain view, as well as removing water and each ore type individually.

Those alone make it worth getting your standalone along side WGenerator.

b23c4a64f2.png

I'll have to see if I can make this a little more intuitive, but you're opening a folder - it won't show any files. I think I'll make it so it will accept any of the .map files and then do the check on the folder. 

Thanks for the feedback :)

One thing I like in your standalone program is the ability for terrain view, as well as removing water and each ore type individually.

Those alone make it worth getting your standalone along side WGenerator.

That's the main reason I did it. Also in the long run, you'll likely want an easy way to do map dumps for your own servers - to see where things are after a bit of time. This is a nice light-weight utility for that. I plan on adding features to make it more useful for generating maps for your community, with a POI overlay and some database connectivity to automatically place settlements on the map.

Thank you!

Nothing happens when i open map file

If you're opening map files made by WGenerator, make sure you saved them. WurmAPI will create blank files when you call it, and until you click the Save Map Files button, all of your map data is in memory.

Basically my program does absolutely nothing with the map files. All the real work is in the WurmAPI. All I've done is make a light weight user interface for that API that fetches the various images it can make and lets you zoom and pan around.

If you're opening map files made by WGenerator, make sure you saved them. WurmAPI will create blank files when you call it, and until you click the Save Map Files button, all of your map data is in memory.

Basically my program does absolutely nothing with the map files. All the real work is in the WurmAPI. All I've done is make a light weight user interface for that API that fetches the various images it can make and lets you zoom and pan around.

I can reopen a map, but I see no zoom controls.. What am I missing?  Using the latest wgen jar file.. Or is the jar not the most updated and have to compile myself to get that?   Cant open with the map viewer either, again, using precompiled.. 

i can't open my map, not WGenerator. Nothing happens

The map files this program views are the ones generated by the WurmAPI - most people are using WGenerator to create them, which is why I mentioned it. I'm not sure if you have the latest version or not (Will say Map Viewer - 1.02 in the title bar) - but I made a fix for opening maps. Before it would take a directory only, now it takes any of the standard map files and will open them all properly.

If that doesn't work, could you either share the map files with me so I can debug, or elaborate on the situation? Do you have all five map files? Did you generate them, and if so, from what program?

I can reopen a map, but I see no zoom controls.. What am I missing?  Using the latest wgen jar file.. Or is the jar not the most updated and have to compile myself to get that?   Cant open with the map viewer either, again, using precompiled.. 

Should have been more clear about controls - scroll wheel is what controls it. I might keybind it as well though, for people without scroll wheels. You also drag the map around and move it with the mouse. 

What do you mean by can't open again?

I've been pushing the jar out as I update github, so both will be same version. Make sure it says Map Viewer 1.02 in the top.

The map files this program views are the ones generated by the WurmAPI - most people are using WGenerator to create them, which is why I mentioned it. I'm not sure if you have the latest version or not (Will say Map Viewer - 1.02 in the title bar) - but I made a fix for opening maps. Before it would take a directory only, now it takes any of the standard map files and will open them all properly.

If that doesn't work, could you either share the map files with me so I can debug, or elaborate on the situation? Do you have all five map files? Did you generate them, and if so, from what program?

Should have been more clear about controls - scroll wheel is what controls it. I might keybind it as well though, for people without scroll wheels. You also drag the map around and move it with the mouse. 

What do you mean by can't open again?

I've been pushing the jar out as I update github, so both will be same version. Make sure it says Map Viewer 1.02 in the top.

i use example code for WurmAPI by Warlander with 2^13 (8192x8192). (Working with 2^11). api = WurmAPI.create("Creative", 11); working , api = WurmAPI.create("Creative", 13); not working

i use example code for WurmAPI by Warlander with 2^13 (8192x8192). (Working with 2^11). api = WurmAPI.create("Creative", 11); working , api = WurmAPI.create("Creative", 13); not working

I haven't tried that large of a map, but given what others have reported with other Java-based tools - memory is the likely culprit. Are you using 64-bit Java?

You may want to try a smaller map as well. 8192x8192 is a *lot* of memory to allocate all at once - as the API stores *everything* in memory. I may look in to a custom loader that can build a map image in chunks to reduce the memory needed, but that won't be today.

Hi Keenan,

Love your MapViewer but I would love to see some enhancement if at all possible. I have not investigated the file formats of the *.Map files that is used

so I don't have any idea if it can be done or not.

Basically I would like the ability to filter on displaying specific boimes to make it easier to see the distribution of it over the map.

Some examples

Show only Oak trees  ( and any of the possible tree type)

Show only Clay Tiles 

Show only Gold nodes (in Cave View)

etc

Hi Keenan,

Love your MapViewer but I would love to see some enhancement if at all possible. I have not investigated the file formats of the *.Map files that is used

so I don't have any idea if it can be done or not.

Basically I would like the ability to filter on displaying specific boimes to make it easier to see the distribution of it over the map.

Some examples

Show only Oak trees  ( and any of the possible tree type)

Show only Clay Tiles 

Show only Gold nodes (in Cave View)

etc

If you do this, please consider a new map view, just like the topographic map but without the elevation lines, that has the ability to display the tile type under the mouse cursor.  This would help immensely with resource distro.

First: You can attach binaries in github when you are making release. Will be easier to track versions and automatically you will avoid using something like Dropbox and etc.

Second: maybe there is a way to represent it in 3D view? New feature? 

Also just tested it in Kubuntu 15. Works nice.

Edited by Tokeiito

If you do this, please consider a new map view, just like the topographic map but without the elevation lines, that has the ability to display the tile type under the mouse cursor.  This would help immensely with resource distro.

Hey, thanks for the great tool.

I have discovered a bug. You can't create png images, because there is a typo in the code.

Change:

else if(this.saveFile.toString().endsWith(".png"))
   imgType = ".png";

To:

imgType = "png";

and it will work.

Edited by Sklo:D

Hey, thanks for the great tool.

I have discovered a bug. You can't create png images, because there is a typo in the code.

Change:

imgType = ".png";

To:

imgType = "png";

and it will work.

Yup. If you look above you it's been fixed for next release. :)

I actually updated the jar on Dropbox already, sort of accidentally.

I just need to sort out an offset problem when mousing over a "tile" on the image, but I think I know what it is :)