Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Xeon, how did you get the exposed cliff sides in the WIP?

Nevermind. lol

Edited by epel

I guess if the slope is big enough then he sets the tile to rock.

Very good, and if it would zoom in and out around the center of the viewing area instead of center of the map, or even better, around the mousepointer it would be perfect. :)

I might go back to find a better way to do this. I was tired when I got it "good enough" for MapViewer, but I did notice that it's not being so kind on the smaller viewing area in WGenerator. When more coffee sets in, I might tackle that. 

In-Game Testing

I saw a lot of posts about this, so I figured I'd mention it.

Getting a map in-game is, as Budda said, as easy as copying it over and doing a fresh database. You don't need to do a fresh database, but if you don't you'll end up with things swimming or stuck in places you'd rather not have. It takes minutes to do all of this.

As for initial spawn point, if you use the Creative database, it will create spawn points for you with Random Spawn set. So you can get in, start making changes (like starter towns or finding that perfect spot) and then go back out and make your server changes. 

If you have several maps, you can just make copies of the Creative server folder and rename them to meaningful names, popping your map files in them.

It's really that easy :) Just make sure your map files are saved with the latest version of WGenerator. There was a bug in the API that made it impossible to make tunnels and caves that got fixed. If you don't want to, or can't for whatever reason, you *can* just delete map_cave.map and the server will create a new one with it's own ore distribution. So all is not lost - just any custom ore distribution.

Hope this info helps you all for opening day. :)

• Like 2

How does one do a fresh database, if I may ask? *grin* 

*opens notepad*

How does one do a fresh database, if I may ask? *grin* 

*opens notepad*

echo on

echo WU_refresh_database;

echo create WU server;

}

save as .bat and run

• Like 2

It's really that easy :) Just make sure your map files are saved with the latest version of WGenerator. There was a bug in the API that made it impossible to make tunnels and caves that got fixed. If you don't want to, or can't for whatever reason, you *can* just delete map_cave.map and the server will create a new one with it's own ore distribution. So all is not lost - just any custom ore distribution.

Hope this info helps you all for opening day. :)

I like the idea of the server setting the ore for me thanks for the tip. Is there anything else like if we only put in the rock layer will the server do the rest? 

Edited by Kegan

Works like a charm.

Bit of creative eroding, dirt dropping, does marvels.

http://s30.postimg.org/ckoyzka69/map.png   

Tips:

Eroding: do it in several iterations, each with different values at Min Slope.   Higher values erode steeper stuff.

Adding dirt, sometimes less is more, done in increments of 10 dirts once again tweaking the slopes can really soften the terrain... or rough it up.

To get a better idea of how it "behaves", run a test map, erode and drop dirt toying with different values, then you go to biome seeding.   

Give it a good 1000 seeds of 2500 size, start with low Max Slopes and go upping it to see how rugged your terrain is, can also limit or expand the height values.  DON'T FORGET TO UNDO AFTER THAT IF YOU PLANNED TO KEEP THE MAP.  If you mess up the "undo", dropping 1 dirt re-grasses the whole thing.

While we're on biomes, if you strive for realism, it's "as simple" as using low-ish max slope for desert so it's rather flat and picking the altitude.

Beaches can be done by keeping min height below water and max not too far above it.  May wanna use shallow slopes for added realism.

You could, for example, have pine trees only be highland once again using height values, this time you want the slope values to be steeper since it'll be likely hugging mountains.

Clay... you CAN finetune it but end of the day I still favor cranking out the GM wand once walking around your  map so the good spots don't get taken.  If you "demand" clay from the start but don't wanna kill coastline, add it all underwater.

Tar, TINY seeds, plentiful, once again your call on altitude and slope.

• Like 1

If a graphically challenged individual such as myself can do this then anyone can.  :)

Indy sized:

map_zpsabctirwz.jpg

May I ask how you were able to get the sand/dirt to trim your beaches? That's a lovely touch I've been trying to add and can't quite figure it out.

May I ask how you were able to get the sand/dirt to trim your beaches? That's a lovely touch I've been trying to add and can't quite figure it out.

Assuming your  water level is 500.

When seeding sand, min height hmmm.. 350, max height 525-550, slope depending if you want to trim the whole thing or just the flatter areas.  Can be done with many small seeds or a couple of massive ones.  Bit of trial and error for me still but that's the basic gist of it.

• Like 1

if you want to mess around with the changed i made regarding dirt dropping I've compiled an edited JAR

Untitled_zps1x6yssk9.png

You'll notice the two new options in the dirt dropping area:

Land Slide - turns on or off the slide effect when dirt is piled over the max dirt slope heights.

Cliff Ration - a number in the range of 0.5ish - 5ish; i have no idea how it correlates to anything, a higher values makes a much rougher map though.

using these setting is conjunction with the max slope should allow you to get some cool stuff

You can DL the JAR via my Dropbox

• Like 2

As far as dropping dirt goes: On a flat tile dropping the default setting of 60 dirt per tile really means 15 dirt per corner? So if I want an in game dirt layer on same tile to be 100 deep I need to set generator at 400 right?

if your wondering how to get the sand border around your whole island

try seeting sand seed count to 25,000  size 25 max slope 23 with min height about 150 dirt under your water height and max height about 25 or 50 above your water height then just add biome :)

It's still randomly generated. When you load the .txt file, all it does is redo the same exact actions you did with the same parameters. But all these actions are still randomly placed. So the end result will be very similar, according to the parameter you input but different because of the random factor.

This doesnt seem to be the case. When I open multiple instance of my world it is exactly the same, i mean exactly. When I delete all of the undos out of the text it changes, in matter of fact I deleted the undos out once and opened it and then i deleted them a second time from the original and both times I deleted the undos the maps were exactly the same as each other. The two (undo) maps were exactly the same but different than the two original maps that were exactly alike.

if you want to mess around with the changed i made regarding dirt dropping I've compiled an edited JAR

Untitled_zps1x6yssk9.png

Land Slide - turns on or off the slide effect when dirt is piled over the max dirt slope heights.

Cliff Ration - a number in the range of 0.5ish - 5ish; i have no idea how it correlates to anything, a higher values makes a much rougher map though.

using these setting is conjunction with the max slope should allow you to get some cool stuff

Cool addition. This is becoming quite the toy.  :D

if your wondering how to get the sand border around your whole island

try seeting sand seed count to 25,000  size 25 max slope 23 with min height about 150 dirt under your water height and max height about 25 or 50 above your water height then just add biome :)

For that indy sized map I seeded sand 5k and size 500. Water level was 200 so I set it at minimum 190 maximum 215 and let er rip. Worked out well. 

he he he mine was for a 1k by 1k map but i figured it would work with 2k deli  or 4k indy size maps

This doesnt seem to be the case. When I open multiple instance of my world it is exactly the same, i mean exactly. When I delete all of the undos out of the text it changes, in matter of fact I deleted the undos out once and opened it and then i deleted them a second time from the original and both times I deleted the undos the maps were exactly the same as each other. The two (undo) maps were exactly the same but different than the two original maps that were exactly alike.

From what I understand, the "bedrock" will always be the same. Those random numbers are generated via an algorithm. So, it starts from the seed and then "grow" from there.

I'm gonna give you a mockup example. If you start with a seed of "4", the random number generator will use its algorithm to generate random number from there.

Seed: 4

-First iteration: 28

-2nd: 15

-3rd: 74

If you change the seed, you'll get different numbers:

Seed: 8

-First iteration: 24

-2nd: 56

-3rd: 23

If you go back to the seed "4", the system will start from that seed and generate random numbers from there, using the same algorithm, and will end up with the same result, "28, 15, 74,..."

So if you always use the same algorithm and always the same seed, you'll always get the same result.

Same with the "drop dirt" section and the other seed there.

*This is why, in computer science, they call it "pseudo-random numbers". Because they aren't really random but they are...

The biomes seems to change their seed each time you add one (i.e.: It probably check the time of the day in seconds, so it's always different unless you could click quickly enough to generate a biome at the exact same second.

*Edit*: Typos.

Edited by Sekiryou

I wish there was a way to set the base values and then have the tool generate a batch of maps with random seeds and save them as .png.  Then we can go through the map graphics and find one that we like.  After that we can just go back into the tool and put that seed in to tweak it, add ore and biomes.

Untitled_zps1x6yssk9.png

Can we get the source with your addition, I cant seem to run anyones jar's I have to run it from eclipse, otherwise when I drop dirt it doesnt update the map.

From what I understand, the "bedrock" will always be the same. Those random numbers are generated via an algorithm. So, it starts from the seed and then "grow" from there.

I'm gonna give you a mockup example. If you start with a seed of "4", the random number generator will use its algorithm to generate random number from there.

Seed: 4

-First iteration: 28

-2nd: 15

-3rd: 74

If you change the seed, you'll get different numbers:

Seed: 8

-First iteration: 24

-2nd: 56

-3rd: 23

If you go back to the seed "4", the system will start from that seed and generate random numbers from there, using the same algorithm, and will end up with the same result, "28, 15, 74,..."

So if you always use the same algorithm and always the same seed, you'll always get the same result.

Same with the "drop dirt" section and the other seed there.

*This is why, in computer science, they call it "pseudo-random numbers". Because they aren't really random but they are...

The biomes seems to change their seed each time you add one (i.e.: It probably check the time of the day in seconds, so it's always different unless you could click quickly enough to generate a biome at the exact same second.

*Edit*: Typos.

Thanks for all the info, is there a possibility of generating the specific number for a biome in the map actions so if we see one we like we can keep it? Maybe in the future? lol

Played around with Erosion a bit, think I like the result.

Before Eroding

Ch0DfvZ.png

After Eroding

Q8eUzgK.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, is there a possibility of generating the specific number for a biome in the map actions so if we see one we like we can keep it? Maybe in the future? lol

I know nothing about programming, maybe Budda could answer that?

Alright, so one thing I saw was about dropping dirt. If you drop 10 dirt, then drop another 10 dirt, it undoes the first 10 and starts from scratch. Dropping 1 dirt will mean the map is covered in a 1 deep dirt layer, not ideal (I may change this for the next version).

The actions file keeps all actions as someone has figured out because without it, the biomes wouldn't generate exactly the same (due to how the random function works), you can delete some of the actions to make it faster, but be aware that you will likely not get the 100% same biome locations as your first generation.

With dropping dirt again, the dirt amount is how much dirt is dropping on each corner, so defaulting to 60 means the dirt layer will be around 60-100 deep (depending on the area and how much dirt has slid down to that point.

The dirt dropping uses the exact same algorithm as dropping dirt in game, so if you're seeing not many cliffs, that means there are not many slopes above 40 in game.

Finally, the cool thing about the actions file that I haven't seen anyone do yet: If you get a good map with a good biome spread going, you can save your actions file, and copy all the SEEDBIOME lines, and paste them in the thread here. Everyone else can then copy those lines into a text file, generate their height map however they want, and use your biomes for their map.

• Like 1

The actions file keeps all actions as someone has figured out because without it, the biomes wouldn't generate exactly the same (due to how the random function works), you can delete some of the actions to make it faster, but be aware that you will likely not get the 100% same biome locations as your first generation.

[...]

Finally, the cool thing about the actions file that I haven't seen anyone do yet: If you get a good map with a good biome spread going, you can save your actions file, and copy all the SEEDBIOME lines, and paste them in the thread here. Everyone else can then copy those lines into a text file, generate their height map however they want, and use your biomes for their map.